Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Luke's quilt

loisflan
10 years ago

Here is a quilt I just finished for my wonderful stepson, Luke. He is 6'5", so I'm really happy that this pattern finished out at 53"x81". It's a Weeks and Ringle quilt pattern called Next in Line. Finding the right fabrics was an effort, but I am really pleased with the results. The back is charcoal-colored Minky. He loves soft things even thought he's 21. He's coming next weekend to help put our dock in, so I'm really excited to give it to him. I hope he has room in his luggage, or else he'll have to carry it on the plane. All I have to do is make a label. Thanks for looking.

Comments (16)

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it looks nice and masculine. He's bound to love it!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Your choices of fabric are right on!! Very nice, I like the pattern a lot. Just right for a 21 yr. old male. He is bound to be impressed. Great job. TFS.

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Another masterpiece! He's bound to love it - I know my boy, 26, would. I love it, too.

I'm leaning more and more to the modern quilt esthetic, but I still like my watercolor batiks, and tone on tone prints. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and add a few solids...

• Freda
    10 years ago

I think this is perfect for a man quilt. Really like the pattern and saved the photo for future reference.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

impressionante!

That should keep him warm during your MN winters. *smile*

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Great masculine quilt. The minky is a really great touch too.
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Love your excellent choice of colors. The 'transparency' is perfect! You are really making me take another look at the Weeks & Ringle books :~).
    Did you use a collection or pick your own fabrics? This pattern would make a really good Retreat (or travel) project.
    Great job Lois - Luke will love it.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilt.
    He'll love it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• loisflan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. Mary C, the only solid in the quilt is the black field fabric. All the browns, blues and greys, even the lightest grey, are prints. Marsha, I traveled to four different shops to find the fabrics. They are not a collection. The are all small prints, not geometrics, but prints that would read as a solid block even though each "rectangle" is three pieces. It was really a challenge to find the two lightest colors - the lightest grey and the small piece that looks like the light grey going over the black stripe. When all is said and done, I probably spent more time choosing the fabrics than I did cutting and piecing the quilt. But then I guess that's part of the process too. My husband loves it. He thinks I should make a larger version using the same colors for our bedroom.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

That's really a wonderful masculine quilt!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

That is a great quilt! The modern design, masculine colors and Minky backing - what a perfect combination.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

It looks wonderful! I think picking out the fabrics is half the fun. It reminds me of when I was a teenager (which I'm surprised I can still remember). I'd take the bus downtown to the department store and take forever selecting fabric to make a dress. I'd just go crazy over all the different colors and patterns.

• lola99
    10 years ago

That is a fantastic quilt! I love everything about it. The pattern is perfect and your fabric selection is spot on. Very very nice job. I'm sure Luke will be thrilled.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Good color combinations for a manly 21 year old! If he has to carry it on the plane....tell him to hold on to it!

Nice job!
    Teresa

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I really like it too Lois! The fabrics are perfect for the pattern and the quilting compliments it very well.

hmmmmm I'm going to look that pattern up too!!
    Rosa

• fran1523
    10 years ago

That's very nice. Luke is a lucky guy.