Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Hi Folks, Look What You Made Me Do

pirate_girl
10 years ago

Hello Everybody,

Well I recently saw someone's post on Depression Blocks & I could resist no longer (I'd been resisting this particular design for some time).

Spent some time yesterday cutting some of these blocks out. Gotta go buy some more lighter fat quarters, but I Iike these results so far.

After a few changes

I'm completely smitten by these fabrics I've collected in re

cent years.

Just so pretty & playful.

See what I mean? I get so lost in all the really beautiful fabrics out there.

I'm not supposed to be starting anything new. I have multiple UFOs to work on, the quilts resulting from 2 recent classes to finish, along w/yet another charity quilt to finish.

But I could play w/ my beloved blue / green batiks all day!

Comments (25)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

lookin' good...I know what you mean about batiks...they are irresistibly fun and look awesome in depression blocks...you are on a roll...,enjoy!
    V.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sometimes you just gotta start a new project! :) They are looking very nice.

Donna

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh wow...........love the rich fabric. I'm doing a depression block now in scrappy. It's nice, but not knock you over like yours will be.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Very nice! This quilt has been on my To Do list for a long time and the recent discussion has me looking at my stash too. We did this in a lotto block last year in blues, greens and purples; the blocks were beautiful! Not sure yet what colors I want to use but pretty sure it will be batiks.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I won the lotto blocks from last year and they are beautiful. After completing the challenge and eventually finishing my DD's wall hanging, that will be the next quilt I do. Unless I jump into the wall hanging for the porch. Decisions, decisions.

Your batiks are scrumptious. I can't wait to see all the blocks.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

That's one of my favorites. I love batiks and these colors are just yummy. I've been known to buy a batch of batiks for no reason at all just because of the colors. You're doing great.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

The fabrics you are using, and their shades, look so very elegant in this pattern. Good choices!

If you aren't supposed to start anything new, this might be the wrong forum to hang around. *VeryBigGrin* There are a few of us who like company!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Guilty, I made you do it. I love that pattern and your colors are so cool and calming.

Sharon is right, we love the company.

beverly

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Wonderful! Enjoy...I really love the enabling. Makes my ufo's seem less important ;-)

• day2day
    10 years ago

Looks great!
    This block is one of my favorites.

We all know what you mean about starting new projects. We start something new before we finish other projects.
    I now think about it this way...It's just our creativity bursting forth. If we didn't let that creativity have its way,, then we wouldn't be quilters.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,

Remember this one, before I was overtaken w/ a trio of charity doll quilts & several other projects?

Here's how it looks now, I hope to sew it together this winter.

These seem both easy & fun, a winning combination, don't you think?

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Love it. Beautiful colors.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see it finished. How will you quilt it?There's probably something traditional, but I wouldn't know what.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the lovely compliments everybody. Yes I am totally smitten, both w/ this pattern (Depression Blocks) & this colorings (my favorite & most natural palette).

Haven't thought that far out (how I'll quilt it); think it'll be great if I can just get it sewn this Winter. Good question tho', will get me thinking.

Perhaps a plain old Stitch-in-the-Ditch (SID), so as not to compete w/ the multiple prints I've used. Guess I'll ponder it as I go, maybe post back for suggestions when it's all pieced.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some Updates in Progess,

I'm such a tease, but I just can't resist. Suddenly last weekend, this started to really look like something!

These fabrics are so cool,

I just can't get enough of this design.

Such fun!!!

• calliope
    10 years ago

That is just gorgeous.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

It's going to be stunning!

• redmary
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Need to clean up some before start new ones..

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi All,

Am happy to say here's the top I just finished piecing. Had to change my plans for the back of the quilt. I'm now making yet another variation of this Depression Block for the back.

Glad to get the top done before end of Winter, so much fun.

Made yet another block as sampler for different kind of quilting effects to see what I'd like (home sewing machine, old Singer). I thinking I'll keep the stitching minimal to play up all the playful fabrics!

(Pls. excuse the giant pic, don't know what I did that but LOVE the amount of details it captured, pardon me for being amazed!)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

It's lovely! I really like the border fabric.. Congrats on getting it together, and having such fun with it!

Donna

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Looks great. I like the tricky inner border too. Have fun with the quilting.

LindaB/CA

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilt, pirategirl. I love the colors and the batiks are fabulous, especially your border.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Having such a big contrast in the light and darks really makes the pattern pop. It is beautiful.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I like the big picture -- makes it so much easier to see the gorgeous fabrics! You achieved the perfect balance of HSTs & the border batik. Beautiful.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

That's really beautiful. I like the color pallet for it.

Best to you,
    Sandra