Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Free-Motion Stars

I know we've covered this subject time and time again, but this might be a unique situation. I have bit the bullet and am trying to make FM stars in the center square of my QOV wonky stars. I cheated and used a marker to have a line to follow but my problem is, I periodically lose sight of it, and even though I know where I'm supposed to go something happens and I don't end up where I thought I was going. Some of it is my eyesight, but was wondering if there are any tips besides practicing.....I have 4 done and they don't look too bad, but there is a lot of room for improvement and ending where I started! White on white doesn't help either. Thanks for any helpful tips.......

At least I'm trying...........

SharonG/FL

Comments (5)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Make them wonky on purpose. Don't try and make them perfect and give them odd shapes and they will all look great and no one will know. I think there is a quilt in my past where I did that. They are just five lines that meet at the points so play on a scrap and you'll see you won't need markings except to see where each line ended.

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Good for you, Sharon. Great idea to make everything wonky, Linda. You could also draw the star on paper, pin it down, sew over the line and remove the paper.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Absolutely made them wonky and irregular in shape, size, and placement on the quilt! The more irregular they are, the easier they will be. If I were doing stars in the center of a block I would connect them with a curved line of stitching from one block to the next block, entering the block from the corners instead of in a straight line from star to star. Star blocks, even wonky stars, are usually all straight lines, so curved lines in the quilting will help soften all the straight lines.

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the good thing is, I don't have to 'try' and make them wonky! HA! They're looking pretty primative as it is.

Teresa, I was wondering about how to get from one to another, too. And, from the corner it is! That's a tip I didn't remember.

Thank you, ladies.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

A tip I learned from an on line crafty class.... Lay some Glad Press n Seal over the top, draw the design using a sharpie on the glad wrap, and quilt. Once done, rip the glad wrap off. It's easy to see the design using a sharpie, the glad wraps sticks to the fabric, doesn't slide on the fabric and keeps the ink from the fabric. Using a smaller stitch and its not too bad to remove the wrap. I tried it a few times and it worked great, just needed to be patient when removing the wrap after quilting.
    V.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living