Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

Spider Web Quilt

karpet
11 years ago

This is one of my wonky quilts with white/off-white shirting scraps and hand-dyed fabrics that I picked up at a local thrift store. It is my first finished quilt this year.

Karlene

Comments (16)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

that's really cute, Karleen. And to finish something that complicated is sure a feather in your cap. Wonderful quilt.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Everyone keeps amazing me with the variety of quilts. Very cool!

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

I'm intrigued with your binding.

I understand how to bind around outer corners, but INSIDE corners? That would seem difficult to me. I'm assuming you snipped the inside corners, then sewed on the binding? And slip-stitched the inside miter? Wow! That's sure a tight inside corner.

I applaud your work!

Julie

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That was a really tight inside corner! It looks okay from the front, but I was not as pleased with how it looked on the back. The more I did, the better they turned out, but I decided not to go back and redo the first ones. Another quilter would notice, but I'm not sure anyone else would. (And it is going in an auction tonight.)

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

LOL Julie! That was my first thought, too, or more like...HOLY SMOKES! LOOK AT THAT BINDING!

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Karlene, i'm so impressed with the creativity AND the binding. Thanks for posting the picture!

• day2day
    11 years ago

That's amazing.
    Your creativity scores high as does your patience.

~Geraldine

• User
    11 years ago

This is a fascinating project. I love the touch of grey with the other colours.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Very creative and impressive. I've done 90 degree inside corners, but never 30 degree ones, which yours appear to be. I love your choice of binding fabric. It's a very sweet quilt. Great work, Karlene. And you get gold stars for recycling.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Very interesting. I am impressed with the your binding to.
    I think your color/fabric choices are very immaginative and would love to see one of the block close up to see how you did the Spider web design. Great job. TFS

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Karlene, You must have patience to do this type of binding! I've been wanting to do a SpiderWeb but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Did you use a template like Bonnie did with paper? I'm trying to get away from tearing all that paper off, but don't want fabric under the strips either. Of course, if fabric 'was' used, there would be no need for batting....hmmmmm. (I am one sick puppy to think about starting another quilt at this time!)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiltville Spiderweb

• fran1523
    11 years ago

That is so cool, not at all what I expected from the name. Great job.

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon - I did do it the size that Bonnie Hunter does it except I used muslin triangles underneath instead of paper because the shirting material was so thin.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Wow, I don't know how I missed seeing this earlier. I really like what you have done. It is always interesting to see if the web or the star pops out in a spider web quilt. I think your colors are excellent and the binding just amazes me! Nice job.

I hope the auction went well.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Love it!! The binding is amazing!!!

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They were going to auction is off with it folded up - backing facing out (????) but a friend grabbed it when it's lot # came up and opened it up and held it up. It went for $200 which is better than the last quilt that was just put in a silent auction and went for $36. The money is going for a man who is waiting for a double lung transplant - he and his wife have 4 children at home.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio