Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

June 2011 Block Lotto

User
12 years ago

This is a transition month for the monthly block lotto. As your retiring moderator, I'm posting the block, but micrey (Michelle) is taking over as your new moderator, so this month's blocks will be sent to her.

The block chosen for this month by calliope & moderator is....... Quilter's Choice!

Guidelines for the block:

Colors: Blue and white. Since the blocks will each be different, let's keep the colors in a similar range and avoid blues that tend toward aqua or have other colors in the print.

Choose a pattern for a 12" finished block, so the blocks we turn in should measure within 1/4" of 12-1/2". Make your block of a quality you'd like to receive!

Please choose a pattern that can stand alone rather than need others of the same pattern for full effect.

Examples of acceptable patterns would include:

Stars

Baskets

Dresden Plate

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Bear's Paw

Churn Dash

Leaf Patterns

Tree patterns that are self-contained

Signature or album squares

Examples of blocks that are dependent on multiple blocks that need others of the same pattern for full effect:

Rail Fence

Irish Chain

Spools

Postage Stamp

Monkey Wrench

Knot and chain type patterns, such as "Interwoven Puzzle"

Repeating tree patterns such as "Tree Everlasting"

And our lotto guidelines are as follows:

By the first of each month, the block lotto is posted on the forum.

You may enter from 1 to 3 blocks. For each block you send, your name will be entered once.

Please put your blocks, along with a slip of paper with your real name, address, and FORUM name, inside a plastic baggie. (A return address label inside or on the outside of baggie works well too.)

Please include one dollar to cover postage for sending on to the winner.

We ask that everyone only send their best efforts! We are not looking for perfection, but please take your time, have fun, and send only the quality that you would like to receive.

Use 100% QUILTING cotton and please - no fur, smoke or fragrances.

Selvage edges should be trimmed off before cutting for blocks and all seams should be 1/4 inch.

Your finished block should be squared up to be no less than 1/4 inch smaller nor 1/4 inch larger than the stated (unfinished) size for the month.

Blocks need to reach the lotto coordinator no later than the last day of the month.

The winner will be drawn on the first day of the following month and posted on the forum.

Please contact the new moderator, micrey, for the address to send your blocks.

I've very much enjoyed being your moderator the the past year and look forward to continuing to participate in the lotto. Thanks to all for your support & positive comments!

Comments (44)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

typo time, your new moderator is "micyrey", not micrey... darn sticky keyboard!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    Thanks kay for posting this for me.
    I will make one but will not be in the drawing this month.

My email is micyreygrow@yahoo.com, I'm also on facebook and you can contact me there also.

I look forward to hosting the lotto for at least the rest of this year, I have gotten some great quilts from my winning blocks.

Michelle

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I'm in for this month. I will try to do 3.

Melissa

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

I'm also in for 3. Calliope, good choice! One of my favorite quilts is a sampler, all in blues & white. Makes for a gorgeous quilt! Someone will be lucky to win this one!!

~Cindy

*ps KayinPa--, Sticky keyboards are almost always! caused by snacking while you type. Which is fine - but share! Would you please pass the chocolate?? ;)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy... ya got me... 86% Cacao Midnight Reverie... yummmm

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    ok so far we have the fallowing players
    1. micyrey 1 block but not in drawing
    2. hazelnutbunny 3 blocks
    3. quiltpartner 3 blocks

I had time to clean and re-organize my sewing room and am looking forward to doing some new blocks for this one.

Incase anyone wants to work ahead.....

for July our block will be Four Patch Chain( sorry I dont know how to post links but it is on Quilters Cache)
    colors:
    color 1 blue
    color 2 red
    color 3 white

August
    Spinner block
    colors:
    color 1 fall colors
    color 2 beige
    color 3 fall colors

please feel free to sign up and send early if you want, you can evan send 2 or months blocks at once to save postage.

if you dont have my address let me know.

happy sewing
    michelle

• buteau3rd
    12 years ago

Count me in for 3 ....sounds like fun! In RI for the summer, so I have the time.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    some people dont have much time for lottos over the summer so we are going to have more time to get blocks in, this will be June/July with blocks due at the end of july and I will do the drawing last day of july. lets see if we can all do 3 as it is quilters choice just pick something fun not complicated.
    thanks
    michelle

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Great, count me in for 3. I can get that done by the end of July.

beverly

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    It's easy!!! Just copy the site address and paste it in the optional link URL and the bottom of the post. Name of the link right under it is the description or what every you want to call the link.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: FourPatchChain

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

This may be a lame question, but while getting fabrics together for my 3 blocks, I'm wondering...do you want only 1 blue w/white?? or multiple shades of blue w/white? I almost cut for a pattern that has 3 fabrics,when I stopped to double check the instructions. I didn't see a reference to only 2 fabrics per block, but don't want to deviate from the group! *[read into this that I am a deviant if you wish! lol But be careful! ~ the sewing genie may tangle your threads while you sleep!]
    I'll probably be making only 1 block until I hear from someone.

Thanks!
    ~Cindy

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I'll answer this, since I posted it, but Michelle, if you have a different idea, please let us know.

I was visualizing various hues of a fairly true blue, not blue-violet, gray-blues or aqua. But this could range anywhere from light blues to navy. As a sampler (as opposed to scrappy), I think the unifier is the color, whereas in scrappy, the unifier is the block pattern. So my thought, is the more tints & hues of true blues the better, just so they're really blues.

The one I'm working on is a dresden plate. It has a very soft baby blue print in it, several mediums, a couple of navy & white prints, and I'm planning on a solid blue center. Haven't chosen the center yet, whether light, medium or navy. I'll wait and see how the rest play together and then choose that one.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Thanks! Kay, that helps:) I was thinking as you are, but couldn't bring myself to make the cut! LOL I never have been much of a risk taker!

~Cindy

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello sorry to be MIA we are out of town and my phone was being a pain.
    Thanks for answering kay.
    I will be starting my blocks next week after getting the house back in order.
    I'm gonna try to do 3 diffrent blocks.
    Michelle

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I've got one finished, but I don't know if I'll be able to make any more. My heart just isn't in the quilting right now, too many personal/health related things happening. I know y'all understand.
    Anyway, I'll get the one that I have out to you as soon as I can, Michelle.

Melissa

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    1. michelle 3 blocks(if it is ok I would like to change my mind and be in the drawing)
    2. hazelnutbunny 1 block?
    3. quiltpartner 3 blocks
    4. buteau3rd 3 blocks
    5. grammyp 3 blocks

wow that would be 13 blocks, anyone elce want to join, you only have to make a block or 2 by the end of july.

michelle

• grammyp
    12 years ago

My 3 June blocks are going in the mail tomorrow.

beverly

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Michelle,

My blocks were sent out the other day. -forgot to post:( You should get them by today if you haven't already.

~Cindy

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have one finished, but waiting to see if I can do 2 more since the deadline is July this time.

Kay

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I receved blocks from
    quiltpartner ....3 blocks
    grammyp .........3 blocks
    lovly blocks ladys
    michelle

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I'm not participating this month but just wanted to say thanks to Kay for hosting the lotto program in the past year! Great job!

Kate

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I mailed my block out today. Sorry I couldn't make more this month!

Melissa

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    I receved melissas envie yesterday.
    I have mine cut, it will be very hot and humid today so I will stay inside
    And work on stitching them together.
    Michelle

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I'm confused... are you all working on June or July blocks?

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Kate,

The June lotto was extended to July, as many people didn't have time in the busy summer months - me being one of them.

BUT - I have made 2 blocks for the blue/white quilter's choice swap. I hope to get a third done, but either way, mine will go out Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    We will still do the one for july but it will be for aug/sept.
    If quilters want to go back to every month a new lotto we can decide that for oct. Or we can leave it a bi-monthly lotto
    Hope you ca join us kate, just 1 block by the end of july?
    Michelle

• polardream
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    I am putting 3 blocks in the mail tomorrow - you should have them by the weekend.

Sue/polardream

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

thanks Sue
    I just finished mine tonight.
    I did 3
    michelle

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I completed the third, and they went out today!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I got mary-c's blocks today
    thanks they look great
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    sue I got yours yesterday
    great fabric this is going to be a great quilt.
    michelle

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Completed 2 and the 3rd is cut. Will be mailing by the end of the week.
    kay

• calliope
    12 years ago

Welcome to the quilt lotto moderator spot, Micyrey and thank you for continuing the tradition! First off, thank you so much Kay for such an awesome job last year. You were really on top of it and put a lot of work into keeping the lotto well sorted out and functional. It was appreciated.

I don't know if anybody even noticed I've been missing on the forum for a few months......but I am a greenhouse owner and this spring the business precluded any quilting whatsoever, let alone participating in the forum or lottos. I'm in the process of retiring from my business and beside my hectic spring months, we were in the process of removing several of the growing houses in addition to other interests and obligations.

You can thank Kay for the great choice of blocks this month. The blue/white sampler was her suggestion. I had chosen a pattern and even made up a sample block months ago well in advance of my 'pick' month and the month before, an almost identical block was chosen. LOL. Then I got busy. Kay came to the rescue.

I didn't want to commit until I knew I could do one, but Miceyray..........I got a block made to send you last night. It's been so long since I sat down to my machine, my husband asked me if I remembered how to use it. LOL.

I'll be emailing you for the address directly and get it in the mail as soon as you answer.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Calliope! Welcome back!

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

Good to be back Kate. I missed you all!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    callieope welcome I sent you my address, I hope you got it.
    I was the same last year becouse we were moving, I almost forgot how to use my machene.
    michelle

• calliope
    12 years ago

Michelle........yes I did, thanks. I posted the block immediately and it went out in today's mail.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Calliope your block got here today.
    Any more comming?

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    so far I have receved.....
    1. michelle 3 blocks
    2. kay 3 blocks
    3. calliope 1 block
    4. polardream 3 blocks
    5. mary c 3 blocks not in drawing
    6. cindy G 3 blocks
    7. melissa 1 block
    8. grammypP 3 blocks

wow lots of blocks and they all look great.
    is anyone else going to send?
    thanks
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

last call for this lottery, are there anymore coming?
    I will need the help of someone NOT in the lottery to help me pick the winner.
    michelle

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Michelle, I can help you pick. Just let me know what I need to do.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    mary c do you have time to do the drawing tonight?
    I can email you a list of players you randumly number them and I can draw a number from a can and you post the winner. dose that sound good to you?

marge how many blocks did you send? they are not here yet but I will put you in the drawing and if they dont get here we will pick a runner up.

I will try to post the next block today.
    thanks
    michelle

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Yes, I'll be happy to do so. Looking forward to seeing who wins!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    ok I have sent mary the list and will draw a number as soon as she lets me know she is ready.
    michelle

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012