Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Wanting honest feedback on Janome 8050

quiltingfox
10 years ago

My M-I-L just bought a brand new Janome 8050 - it kept breaking the top thread when we used the horizontal thread spool holder, crunching the needle as it sewed and no matter how the tension was adjusted the seam on the bottom side of the fabric was rough as barbed wire it was not a smooth seam. My M-I-L and my S-I-L are going to take it back to our local Hancock fabric store where she bought it and see if the manager of the store can get it to work any better, so the jury is still out, but we are wondering if she bought a lemon or if this is a problem with all Janome 8050 machines. Would love some feedback on your personal experience if you have a 2013 Janome 8050 sewing machine.

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (10)

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

My impression is that the thread isn't feeding correctly. I don't have a 8050 Janome but like their product. I suspect an issue with the tension or the spool of thread.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I guess we will find out more when M-I-L and S-I-L take it back to the store to have it checked out.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

That was happening to me a couple weeks ago, (not on a Janome) but the whole crux of the problem was the little slit on the spool where the thread is held down when you first open it was to the left and so as it fed and unwound, the line of thread was running over the slit. It would occasionally catch in it, and each time it did the slit would open up more until it was a regular thread trap. I flipped the spool over so the slit was to the right and the machine was 'healed'.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Calliope we made sure the spool slit was at the back and so was not a problem for us, but when we used the horizontal spool holder that sits inside the handle of the machine the thread kept breaking. We even used several different spools of thread and all kept doing the same thing and the thread was not old.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

Gosh I'm sorry it wasn't an 'easy fix'. It can be so frustrating.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Does the machine have a vertical spool holder? The reason I ask is that certain wound threads need to be vertical while others need to be horizontal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizontal vs Vertical

• calliope
    10 years ago

I wondered about that, because I have found that some of my thread does work better when placed on a vertical holder! Thanks!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It does also have a vertical spool holder. M-I-L and S-I-L are going to take the machine back to the store this evening and see what they can find out about it, see if it is something that can be fixed.?

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

M-I-L returned the Janome and bought a Brother sewing machine which does even more stitches and even does letters, so it all worked out ok. I really like her new machine.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Were they able to determine what the problem was? Hope the Brother works better... do you know what model she got?

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert