Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

red/white checker quilt pics

rosajoe_gw
11 years ago

I just love the way this crinkled!! A few of the red squares are not in the right place BUT it is staying as is lol!!!

This is an easy pattern and I quilted it in a cross hatch through the checkers, easy quilting with no marking. I prewashed and used 4 color catchers when I washed it.

I wanted feathers in the sashing and my FMQ is BAD so I used my embroidery hoop and hooped 48 times!!!

Pain in the patooty to hoop, but quilts embroider well.

Rosa

Comments (29)

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!! I love red and white quilts and that is WOW!

Teresa

• nannykins
    11 years ago

How big are those squares?
    Beautiful!!
    Theresa

• User
    11 years ago

I LOVE THIS!!! Wow is an understatement. What lucky person is getting this one? Or is it something new for you?

Cheers,
    Peggy

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! Is this for your sister? What color binding are you going to use?
    I love the contrast! The Pfaff dealer who I know well, uses her embroidery machines on quilts all the time. They are gorgeous!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

It's a beautiful quilt and very cheerful!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Oh, it was so worth it! That is a beautiful quilt.

beverly

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Lovely quilt. I love red and white. What are you doing for the borders?

• day2day
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous.....a fantastic red and white quilt!
    The 'crinkliness' just adds to the beauty.
    It's sure to become a family heirloom,and the out-of-place
    squares will add to it's sentimental value.
    Great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

It really is a WOW quilt, Rosa! Your quilts are always beautiful and who cares about a few little squares that jumped out of place. I think it adds to it's charm. You know this will be loved.

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Very lovely design!
    A person would have to look very closely to find the misbehaved squares. In fact, if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed them:)

Julie

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I plan on another in scrappy. This would also work well for beginners and enders.

Theresa the squares are 1&1/2 x 1&1/2 really easy to strip sew the checkered blocks. Actually everything is strip pieced except for the white shashing.

Linda the original had a white border that had beautiful feathers on it, she doesn't want them lol!!! I would love to be able to FMQ feathers. I'm going to do the binding in red.

Marsha, yes, this is for my sister, she puts them in her closet and brings them out to show lol!! I told her Easter I was making the quilt I gave her before a friend to hang out with. She is one of my biggest fans and wants every quilt I make. My mother has 5 in her closet!!! Everyone else uses them, that's what they are made for!!!!

I am making a label for this one so the grands don't find it after we have all departed and give it to Goodwill lol!!!!
    Rosa

• calliope
    11 years ago

What a HAPPY!!!!! quilt. Love it, love it, love it.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Rosa, it's beautiful! Did you wash it with no binding? I can't tell if it has no binding or a really, really narrow one. :)

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna I was so afraid it was going to bleed I basted it and washed it. I have heard horror stories about red fabric prewashing OK and then bleeding into the batting.

I honestly kept opening up the washing machine during the wash and rinse cycles to check lol!!!! Salt, vinegar AND 4 color catchers!

The binding is going to be narrow!!

• karpet
    11 years ago

Rosa - that is beautiful!
    Karlene

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh wow, Rosa, it's gorgeous. The quilting is great and honestly, I love the little wandering red square!

I would have been terrified about bleeding fabric too but you must have done everything right.

This is a quilt to be proud of!

Kate

• susan_on
    11 years ago

Oh, I just love it- it's so striking! I really love the crinkly look too.. I'm partial to that.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

A work of art. Love the combination of R & W and checker board. I think it would be beautiful in a scrappy batik as well, I can see all kinds of possibilities. Your usual wonderful job. TFS

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

That's one awesome quilt!! Great job.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Love it...it's so happy and fresh!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Rosa~your sister will never need to wash it, so you really did not need to worry :). Must be a Georgia thing -- my Quilts in the Closet, but want and love them family also live in Georgia!

I am making a Sampler from the Red and White Lotto blocks I won has me concerned about fading. I am a pre-washer - (I am always very nervous when I use precuts.) Please explain the reason why you washed this before you put on the binding.
    What would/could you do if the red did bleed into the batting or onto the white? I need some guidance please!!!!

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marsha I washed it before the binding 'cause if it bled I would keep it and sew the binding by machine rather than by hand.

I was just getting ready to start a post about bleeding, I had researched it too before making the quilt. I read that sometimes a fabric prewashes fine and then will belled later - really weird.
    Rosa

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

not sure what belled is lol - should have been bled!

Marsha I had a purple and white quilt bleed. The fabric was prewashed several times, OK, then I always wash the quilt and line dry in the shade. I did use 2 Color Catchers.

When I brought it inside the purple had bled into a sort of tye dyed/mottled look. It was more noticable on the back than the front. It was for a relative that actually uses them and she was still happy but I was not!

I tried everything including Synthrapol and the dye never did come out of the white.

So I am still leary of reds, purples, and darks. I want to make the redwork 'Walking in a Winter Wonderland' with red fabrics and I have been researching Retayne, but I'm finding some doubts about it's long term safety.

I now prewash questionable fabrics in very hot water several times before I use them.
    Rosa

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

"I washed it before the binding 'cause if it bled I would keep it and sew the binding by machine rather than by hand."

Funny!! Rosa~ I thought you had some magical fix - I honestly have been thinking about it off and on.....why you washed before binding.....LOLOL - I should have just asked, and saved those brain cells! I guess everyone else knew why. I am laughing at myself!

• polardream
    11 years ago

It is beautiful, Rosa! I enjoyed everyone's comments - and yours - about the colors bleeding. I like your thought process too, if it bed, keep it. I hope your sister enjoys "showing" it to people! :)
    Sue

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Absolutely love it,have always wanted to do a red and white quilt,and also a blue and white.
    TFS
    kathi

• fran1523
    11 years ago

That is stunning and you really have to search for that naughty little red square.

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I love what you've done. I am so going to have to do something in red and white on my next quilt!! And I've never thought of using my embroidery machine to quilt feathers!! Duh!! I'm like you and hate to hoop, but it would be better than my FMQ. Love it!!

Robbi

• bee0hio
    11 years ago

What a beauty! I LOVE it!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm