Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Think back to 1999...

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I've found a paper piecing pattern from 1999 in my stash of old books and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Does anyone remember seeing this quilt? I would like to know how it turned out. Even tho it's paper pieced I'm concerned that all those tiny pieces will make it bulky. If you've seen it, was it done in the original colors or was it different?

It's called Super Stars and it's by Eileen Bahring Sullivan. I bought it all those years ago because I thought it would be a good way to learn paper piecing! Then, once I really looked at it, I was so intimidated by the pattern I didn't even try to make it! But I think I'm ready now (finally).

Here's a couple pictures of the pattern cover page:

Kate

Comments (11)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Ooh, Kate, that's cool! I think with really tiny pieces in PP you would trim the seam allowances to 1/8".

Give it a try!

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I have seen that before and love it, but not to give you specifics on construction.

Donna is right though... When you do lots of pieces in small spaces, you trim to 1/8". You can also press seams open to limit the bulk.

I think some of those black prints are too busy. I'd go more solid, with pops of color. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

1/8" and press seam open - good advice! Thanks!

I have't decided on fabric yet but thinking of using more colors in the stars.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

This reminds me of the Mariner's Compass pillow top I pp from Judy Mathieson's book a few years ago. The instructions call for 1/4" seams but do suggest pressing seams open when joining sections. "Press the seam allowances between the units open so that you can get the best intersections in the middle where eight pieces of fabric will intersect."
    Yours aren't the same but the idea would be I think.
    I had fun with it. Realized the other day that it isn't long for this world but I have had it for over 15 yrs. lol

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Interesting design...love the results of paper piecing, but I can only take it in small steps. I didn't think about opening the seam allowances w/ pp, good advice...thanks all.

I'm sure it will be awesome pp project...do post pics, love to see these stars!

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Its hard to believe 1999 was 14 years ago...

Y2K.... remember that?

I feel old....

Faye

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Kate, How about using contrasting stonehenge fabrics for these stars? The appearance of texture in those fabrics could be quite dramatic with the right colors and contrast.
    V.

• Quiltgirl11
    10 years ago

I love this pattern and have been looking for it for while. I would love to get a complete copy of it from you if you would consider it. I could send you my address or send it to my email. thank you cindy

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cindy, I certainly understand why you want it but I respect the work of the originator and the policies of this forum. ("Important: Sharing photocopies of patterns or charts without the express consent of the publisher or designer is a copyright violation and is not allowed.") So I can't send you a copy. You might try finding it on eBay or contact Eileen Bahring Sullivan.

Here's her contact information, although I dont' know how current it is:

Contact Us:
    Eileen Bahring Sullivan
    P.O. Box 1026
    Duluth, GA 30096
    [phone] 770.667.6900
    [fax] 770.753.0423
    [e-mail] Eileen@thedesignersworkshop.com

Kate

• Quiltgirl11
    10 years ago

Kate, I was so excited to actually find the pattern that I forgot about the copyright stuff I will keep looking for it and if you by chance come across another one keep me in mind. I did email Eileen and she do's not have one at this time.
    thanks
    cindy

• Quiltgirl11
    10 years ago

FOUND THIS PATTERN :):): Can't wait to start it