Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

Icing on the Cake - May and June - Kay_in_pa

sandlapper_rose
11 years ago

Attention All in the Birthday Block Exchange:

It's May already and Kay's "birthday" is just around the corner. Please remember that you are to send 2 blocks to her because she is filling two spaces in the group.

This is the place to post mailings and receipts of Kay's birthday blocks. Kay has really kept the exchange moving along for us this year so let's all do our best to make her "birthday" special!

Kay signed up to celebrate on May 10 and June 10 and she did this to make things easier for you - there were already 3 September birthdays so if she filled 2 spaces and celebrated in Sept., you would have had 5 birthday blocks due out that month. Her real birthday is Sept. 23rd, but mail now - do not wait until then! (Hopefully I can remember to come back to the thread in Sept. and post Happy Birthday to her a third time.)

Thanks for being so special to this group, Kay!

Jeanne

Comments (36)

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

thanks for the reminder Jeanne. I have two going in the mail now.

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jeanne,

And thank you Darlene for my first block! It's lovely and just the colors I had in mind. What is the pattern?

If everyone wouldn't mind, since these blocks are quilter's choice, would you please include the name of your block pattern so I can record it when I put together my quilt?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone chooses!

Kay

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Kay, I have both blocks made and will be sending them out on Monday.
    Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Kay, your pre-birthday package is on its way! One of the patterns is an original, and I'm not sure about the 2nd one, so you'll have to tell me what you think when you open them up later this week. I did name them though, so you can tell me if the names fit too...lol!
    Happy Pre-Birthday!
    Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Your blocks are headed your way, Kay!
    Happy Un-Birthday! :)

Melissa

• jackier123
    11 years ago

Sent your blocks out today.

Jackie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy Unbirthday to you.
    Happy Unbirthday to you.
    Happy Unbirthday, dear Kay.
    Happy Unbirthday to you!

I so badly want to put the cake picture on here, but my computer has been acting up even worse than usual lately and it really doesn't like to interact with Photobucket so I'll just leave it at the song.

I know all of your friends here on GardenWeb wish you a very happy May "birthday!"

Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Jeanne, I've got you covered. I've got a cake right here...

• patti60
    11 years ago

i am having a lot of problems with my e-mail, so have to wait till i get to mom's. i sent 1 block. have the other done. will be getting in the mail.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I have one done and will finish the other and get in the mail this week. So sorry to be late.

beverly

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Kay, did my packet of blocks arrive yet? It's been a week, so they should've by now. I hope they didn't get lost along the way...

• User
    11 years ago

Sorry to be slow in replying, spent some out of town time twice in the past couple of weeks and I'm just now trying to get reoriented.

For those of you who don't know.. one of my other "passions" besides quilting is my farm animals. In March we had a litter of Gloucestershire Old Spots pigs. This is a critically endangered breed (only about 200 registered breeding animals in North America). And last September we had a mini-donkey foal. So weekend before last I took 2 of our boy pigs to swap for 2 girls at a breeder in Illinois. On the way, I dropped off pigs to 2 breeders in Ohio. Then in Illinois, besides the 2 girls we were getting, I picked up 4 additional pigs for other people.

After the stop in Illinois, I took the donkey foal to live with my brother and sister in law in far west Tennessee... he's beginning to think he's a goat now.

Then I drove back across TN and left 2 pigs with a breeder in Virginia. Finally home. Since then one of our pigs has gone to Maine and 2 to another farm in PA. Our remaining pig, we're VERY proud to say, is going to be the foundation sire of a new GOS pig herd at Rodale Institute, and one of the girls from Illinois will be his dam. Rodale is the research facility that publishes Organic Gardening magazine and many other sources for gardeners and small farmers. They haven't had a livestock project for 20 years, and the GOS pigs will be their first. What a trip!

In the meantime, my mailbox has been receiving BEAUTIFUL quilt squares. They're all lovely and my head is swimming with ideas for sashing and borders!

So far, I've received from:
    Darlene: 1
    Patti: 1(love the floral card!)
    Melissa: 2 lovely squares
    Dan: 2... I adore the wine glasses, especially!
    Jackie: 2.. I'd never have thought that a batik-y fabric would have worked, but they're gorgeous!

Thank you all so very much!!!!

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Pig Pictures

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

The pigs are so cute. Don't know how you can give up those darlings.

You've been swamped but I hope you'll find my blocks around the house somewhere. I'll make another pair if I have to but hope they'll turn up.

• User
    11 years ago

And 2 more great squares from Deanna in today's mail. Thank you so much. The colors are perfect! And I hadn't seen Annie's Choice before!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Adorable little piggies :)

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Hey Kay,
    Cute little piggies. my grandfather use to raise hogs/pigs when I was growing up. When I got married and we were looking for some land my grandfather had quit raising hogs and gave me the land that was "the pig pen" to live on. We love it. so the pigs are as cute as I remember. The pattern for the block I sent is called Starflower. I found it on Quilt Cache. It is one of my favorites. I haven't decided on the block for June but I will include it's name when I send the block.
    Darlene

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Hi Kay

Sorry I didn't get a block off to you for your unbirthday on May 10th but I do have both blocks complete and ready to mail. I will be in upstate NY on Monday so will mail them from there.

Cute piggies!

Mary

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Blocks sent Monday June 4th from Ogdensburg, NY

• macbeaner
    11 years ago

It went in the mail today! :)

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Hi Kay!
    I'm running alittle behind on block number 2. I've been working on a lap quilt for a wedding gift and finally ready to sew down the binding. Also went to RI to see my daughter and the red sox play in boston. So today's the day to get working on your block. Hope to get it in the mail tomorrow. Happy Un-Second Birthday!
    Darlene

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I got your block made and in an envelope ready to send out tomorrow. You should get next week. I hope you like it.
    Darlene

• patti60
    11 years ago

kay i sent your block out on monday. so you should be getting it soon.

• User
    11 years ago

More arrivals! And I forgot to thank Linda, toolgranny, for her blocks earlier.

This week, I received

my 2nd block from Patti... and such a beautiful handmade paper card,
    2 lovely blocks from Mary
    and 2 very "vintage-y" blocks from Virginia.

These are all going to look wonderful on my grandmother's old brass bed!

Once they've all arrived, I'll lay them out for a quilty preview photo!

Thank you all so much!

Kay

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Mailed your block yesterday. I hope you like it.
    Darlene

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A second Happy Unbirthday, Kay!
    I hope you are enjoying all the birthday blocks.
    This time I was able to get to the cake picture, so here it is...

Thanks again for all that you do for this group.
    Jeanne & Birthday Exchange Block Friends

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Hi Kay

I meant to put the name of the patterns on the blocks I sent you and forgot. The 2 color one is called "Love In a Mist" and the three color is "Antique Tile" and both are from Quilter's Cache.

Mary

• User
    11 years ago

In the past few days, I've received my blocks from Darlene and Marie. Very pretty blocks! I hope to have time to lay them all out for a picture later today or tomorrow.

BUT... Marie enclosed something very special with her blocks. Marie lives all the way out in Wyoming, and I'm in PA. My husband's last name is Barkdoll, which it turns out is the mis-spelling of a German name from one emigrant ancestor. So he knows for certain that all with the spelling BARKDOLL, are related.

So, on with the story. When Marie was growing up, there was a small community store in her town, and the owners were named Barkdoll. In with my quilt squares, she enclosed a matchbook cover from the 1960's from that store, with the names Paul and Ruth Barkdoll on it. And, as it happens, my husband's father's name was Paul. I can't tell you how much it meant to receive that treasure! Thank you so much, from both of us!

Kay

• wynative
    11 years ago

Kay - I am so glad that you liked my little surprise : ) Thanks so much for being such a wonderful host!
    Marie

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

no pictures yet? nuts! I want to see everyone's blocks...lol!

• User
    11 years ago

Sorry, Dan, I was at my son & dil's when the last blocks arrived on Saturday. I just got home last night... so.... here they are. With a big thanks to Bev for those lovely blocks!

The bed wasn't big enough for me to put all those lovely blocks in the same picture. BUT.. starting with the first picture, the rows are as follows (with 2 blocks from each person):

Row 1: Grammy P and macbeaner
    Row 2: tuppermom and chickie1
    Row 3: patti and melissa
    Row 4: wynative and jackier123

Second picture:

the bottom 2 rows are:

Next to last row: wynative and faintheart
    Last row: toolgranny and danthemailman

Thank you, everyone! An old fashioned lavender sampler quilt for my bed is now on my UFO shelf. I can't wait to get to finishing it!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great blocks and that lavender is lovely!
    Thanks for sharing pictures with us.

Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Awesome pictures and variety! Thanks, Kay, for sharing them with us!
    Dan

• User
    11 years ago

I've really enjoyed the Quilter's Choice aspect of this. What fun there was not knowing what patterns I'd receive. I highly recommend it!

Kay

• quiltingfarmlady
    11 years ago

Back in May I received a birthday card that told me not to open it until..........

Dan.... I did.. I waited! Thank you for the card!

Kay

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

You actually waited??? ROFL, great!!! I was hoping you would so you'd have a little something to open on your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

• quiltingfarmlady
    11 years ago

It was so tempting.. week after week... month after month... every time I pulled a birthday square out to send someone, there it was... staring at me.

I just wish I could have that much resistance to other "sweets"!

Kay

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus