Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Sewing Room: a good spot

K8Orlando
9 years ago

Is there something about your sewing room or sewing area that you particularly like? I know I'm lucky to have an entire room and I'm happy with the whole setup, but there's one spot that came out just right. To the right of my sewing table I have a low bookcase about 21" high. On it I have a small cutting mat and a 12"x12" ironing board. Although I do most of my cutting at a big table, I can do small pieces and trimming right here. I can iron seams without having to get up from the sewing machine. It's wonderfully convenient especially when paper piecing!

The iron is plugged into an outlet that is shut off when I turn off the room lights and I have a safe place to store it on the wall too. Even with 3 cats I never have to worry about it.

Kate

Comments (14)

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Sweet! I so wish I had a plug that went off with the lights. Just one more thing for peace of mind. Love the wall art, too.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I can see why you like this spot! Perfect in every way!

Teresa

• calliope
    9 years ago

It would be easy enough to wire up a work plug to go on or off with the light switch. That's a good idea. I wired up greenhouses so that some plugs are activated by thermostats...same principle. My sewing room? Nothing special about the design to improve the functionality. It's very simple set up with only two machines set up and ready, an ironing board and a mangle, one bookcase and one chest of drawers to hold notions, and my tubs of fabrics in clear containers. I'm moving a work table in soon and I keep a couple of antique chairs and a small quilting frame. The special thing about my sewing room are the windows looking out over the countryside and the trees, and how light and bright it is. And especially that it is dedicated to my sewing............and only my sewing. What a luxury.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I had to think about this one. Finally I have to say that although very mundane and fundamental, the big banquet table is the most vital thing in the sewing room other than the machine and I wouldn't want to be without it. My sewing machine stays at the right end unless I am sandwiching the quilt. The left side is for cutting and organizing sewn blocks. Other than the table and the machine, I really like the closet, where I stash all the fabric. I like the fact that I can keep that door closed after choosing all my fabrics. I'm not a clean nut but the less chaos around me the better, and believe me, I can create plenty of that. I keep the table pulled away from the wall enough to sit behind it since the storage cabinets and bins which hold all my other supplies (art, floral, etc.) are on the other side of the room, including a TV. And to the left of where I sit there is a small office table to hold items I am using and also a rolling storage cabinet with all my sewing tools. There isn't really any part of the room that would make a pretty picture as far as esthetics are concerned. There is the window but it faces South so I try to keep the blinds adjusted so that the direct sun doesn't come in (I live in FL and it's brutal). It's all function and business in there, nothing homey or cutesy.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

For years I had my sewing room set up with the table with the computer and the one with the machine against the wall perpendicular to the window, and the work table to my right. A while back I started experimenting with other setups (DH was getting tired of being recruited to help me move the furniture!) and finally landed with the computer table on the wall with the window (which took care of most of the screen glare problem), the table with the machine on the opposite wall (with my back to the window), and the work table to my left, which is wonderful since I'm left handed! It also provides support for putting larger quilt tops together.

Too bad it took me so long to figure that one out. :)

Donna

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may be forced to make some changes to my room. DH Jim is working from the house now and needs to set up a drafting table in the office. I don't think there will be room for my computer desk anymore and he really needs the space, so I'll probably be moving it to the sewing room. My little sofa will have to go, but the sewing set up will remain unchanged.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

My most recent rearrangement of the sewing area seems to work pretty well. I bump my head on the ceiling much less than I thought I would and it's just a graze, not when getting up from the chair. Used to have the sewing machine table jutting into the room, but I wanted to hang the foam core insulation/design board up, so I had to move all my storage gadgets. I do have six more buckets under my husband's desk on the other side of the room. REALLY time to stash bust!
    LindaB/CA looks like I have to make two more posts to put up three photos ;(

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

cutting and ironing

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Design and sewing machines

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks very efficient!

(by the way, you can post multiple pictures in one post. Each time you preview it you can add another photo.)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Well, Kate, you'll just have to take over another room in the house, like I did! LOL I keep telling Mark eventually I'm taking over the whole house.

Thanks for the multiple photo tip. I've always posted multiples from Photobucket, but sometimes it would be nice to post multiples without the extra step of putting them in Photobucket first.

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I have a very small room, but one of the most functional things about it is the ability to walk around the end of my cutting table. It sits perpendicular to the wall with storage drawers and my sewing machine near the wall side. The cutting mat sits on the end and I can cut from 3 different sides. This has proved a HUGE help, and saves time when straightening an edge or cross-cutting strips.

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

My sewing machine and serger share a big old desk that sits in front of a big south facing window.And because it looks out onto the patio and backyard,and the patio has a lattice and screened cover,it lets in lots of light,but keeps the sun out.Perfect.

My room is also nice and large,16x22,and it's s all mine.It used to be the master bedroom,but I convinced Dh that we didn't need that much room to sleep!!! LOL
    Kathi

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Jenn, I can walk around my cutting table, too. It's one of those folding ones from JoAnn's, so if I need a bigger space I can pull it out into the room and unfold both sides. Very helpful!

Kathi, I'll have to try that argument on my DH! LOL

Donna