Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Janome Jem Platinum 720

Posted by loisf (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 15:27

I'm thinking about buying the Janome Jem as a travel machine. I have the Janome 6600 and love it, and the Jem 720 has many of the same features I don't want to be without. I think I recall some forum members mentioning that they had one. What is your experience with the Jem? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Janome Jem Platinum 720

I don't have that one. I do have other Janomes and love the brand.

I've only heard good things about the Jem, though.

o

I have the Jem 760 as my first and only machine and learned to sew and quilt on it the past 5 years. It has a nice variety of stitches and can do a lot. It's light and portable and a 3/4 machine so great for classes. I bought the acrylic table to go with it which helps give more quilting/sewing space and am very happy with the machine. I do have it serviced every year, which can be expensive, and I've paid more for that than the machine cost originally. It doesn't take well to monofilament thread and I have had some issues with things getting caught, but not sure if that's operator error. The feet and parts are reasonably priced. The downside is it's a smaller machine with smaller throat size, so I'm looking for something bigger for quilting now, though I have done all my baby/lap sized projects on it.

--Amy

o

I have the Janome Gem Gold which is a mechanical machine. I only use it for classes and travel but it's been a good machine. I also only use it for piecing.

o

I have the Janome Jem Gold also. I only use it for classes. I miss the needle down feature when I use it. I would love to have the Platinum 720.
Linda OH

o

Thanks, Ladies. I am really glad that you like the Jem. I'm just about ready to take my 6600 in for its annual servicing, and I will pick up the Jem then. Next winter, I'll take the Jem with me on vacation so I don't go into withdrawal like I did last winter. You'd think I could go three weeks without quilting, but I really missed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here