Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New BOM I'm working on, Feathered Star Quilt

Posted by lafonda_ranch (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 14:45

This is one of the Hoop Sisters designs done on my embroidery machine, so it isn't quite so labor intensive (at least at this point!). I'm going to a class once a month where we do one block and they send us home with instructions for 11 more to do by the next month. It is supposed to be assembled like a QAYG quilt, but the teacher said it was more difficult, so we're just doing the blocks and then assembling them later and doing a SITD after the back is put on.

Also, my son wanted a quilt that covered his bed better (longer on the sides), so this one is for him and I let him pick the colors (black, red and gold/yellow). I am making the decisions on how they all go together as I make them and choosing the threads (lots of variegated). For me, that is very stressful!! Too many choices.

Anyhow, here are the first 12 squares (9 make one of the "stars"). They are only pinned together for the picture. The stitching on the outside of the star is a two tone twisted thread. Like the middle of the star, it didn't photograph very well.

Robbi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New BOM I'm working on, Feathered Star Quilt

Even with an embroidery machine it looks like a very time consuming project, very complex! Looking forward to seeing more.

He will be amazed at the effort you put in. What a lucky guy.

LindaB/CA

o

WOW that is already stunning Robbi!!!!!!!!!
Your son has a good eye for color selection - I may have to borrow him. 12 blocks a month should keep you busy for a while. I'm looking forward to seeing your months too. Thanks for taking the time to post them for us!
Rosa

o

That is going to be stunning! I can figure out that the squares around the big star are embroidered, but what about the squares on the left. Paper pieced? There beautiful, but I can't see that that would have been embroidered. Total lack of experience here.

o

Wow, Robbi, that's awesome already! Can't imagine how fantastic it will look when you get it all together.

SharonG/FL

o

All the square are done on the embroidery machine, even the small ones. I've attached a web site that has a picture of the sample quilt with the stars on it.

Robbi

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop Sisters Feathered Star Quilt

o

Wow Robbi...I'm clueless on all this embroidery work, but I can appreciate and marvel at the results. the color selection is great. Looking forward to seeing the final top....do keep pics posted.
V.

o

That will be lovely, very deluxe with all the rich colors and heavy embroidery--reminds of Christmas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here