Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

"quilted" planter boxes for mini gardens

Since this forum is connected to the gardening forums on GardenWeb, I hope some of the quilters are also gardeners who might enjoy a project like this. The boxes are made of treated wood nailed together. Then I cut squares of fabric and glued them on with Elmer's glue, thick enough to soak the fabric, but not enough to ooze up between the threads. I used a paint brush to paint small areas with glue, lay fabric, repeat...

I happened to use upholstery fabric samples I used to bring home twice a year when the companies weeded some fabrics out of their collections, but I don't think it would matter what the purpose of the fabric originally was.

After letting it dry for a couple days, I coated fabric and wood, inside and out, with polyurethane, let dry for a few days. (The glue part can be done inside, the poly has fumes, I did that outside.)

The bottom has thin cracks between the boards, and more holes were drilled for ensured drainage. I lined the bottom with landscape fabric to keep soil particles from lodging in the holes/cracks, then ready to plant.

I'm not finished with this yet, needs a top-dressing of an attractive gravel, then many more finishing touches and decorations to make a mini scene, but the boxes are finished, the quilted part. These are for Mother's Day gifts for my Mom and DH's Mom.

Comments (21)

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

Those are really cute!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Very cute and great idea!

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Adorable. Lucky Moms!
    LindaB/CA

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks x3! I'll put up another pic when they're totally finished. I've always loved quilt patterns, made a few that my Mom made into quilts, and have been cross-stitching for decades, but never wanted to sew. This was a fun way to quilt w/o sewing... Now I want to decorate other items around the house this way.

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Very nice! I am sure "The Moms" will love them!

Maryv

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Just looking at these again and thought what a neat thing to make for craft/quilt shows or vending at festivals. Very unique!

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

They look very pretty, but living in the state of Louisiana with extremely high humidity that fabric outdoors here would mildew and grow mold. But for people living in drier states I could defiinitely see that being pretty to decorate flower pots with. I reread your post and like that you used polyurethane, that should definitely help the fabric last longer outdoors. Beautiful planters, thanks for sharing!

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, May 3, 13 at 17:38

Original Author
    10 years ago

I see this section of GW doesn't include zones when one posts, but I'm in AL, 15 miles north of the FL border, it's plenty humid here, edge of Z9. It gets so humid here paint comes undried, air you can wear, have to remind yourself backstroking isn't necessary when walking... everything grows mold here, I don't anything leather anymore, it all rotted, luggage, shoes, belts, jackets.

That's what the polyurethane is for. It's like plastic now, waterproof. Water beads right up on it. Guess I didn't make that clear above, sorry for the oversight. Glad you mentioned that, thanks!

Thanks for the compliment!

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Thu, May 2, 13 at 19:39

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Love it! Very creative and a good blend of gardening with a craft. I think the poly coating would work and keep it looking good for years.

Kate

• grammyp
    10 years ago

What a great idea, thanks so much for sharing. I can see Mother's day gifts coming on.

beverly

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

That makes sense then if you are doing it with polyurethane. Sorry I read through your post so fast the first time that I missed that important piece of information. It's been a busy week, hoping to slow down this weekend and have more time to read posts on our Quilting Forum. Your planters are a really cute idea. I think your planters look great! Thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, May 3, 13 at 17:20

• minnie_tx
    10 years ago

I love what you did with the outside and the little scenes inside thanks so much for sharing

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, QF! I don't get over to this side much, can't see well enough to cross-stitch anymore, but spend a ton of time chatting on GW about plants.

Thanks, Minnie!

My Mom is huge into quilting, and I've designed many patterns for her to make into quilts, so this idea seemed like a natural fit for her at least.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the finished products. My Mom and DH's Mom were thrilled, more than I expected. It was an awesome Mother's Day with such great moms, and of course my own great kids. Hope all of the other moms out there had a great day.

The flower on the front of this is on top of the blocks. I was nervous about the thickness of it, but it soaked up the urethane and is hard as a rock like the other areas. Turns out the hardest part was cutting it out of the bigger piece of fabric.

I now want to quilt other household objects like wall-mount shelves, scratched tables, or even a piece of wood, like a plaque. Next time it won't be plain ol' squares. I've already made cross-stitches to accompany most of the quilts my Mom has made from my patterns (cross stitch and quilts are the same geometry) so it would be cool to make plaques also.

If this inspires similar ideas for you, please share!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

OMG ~ these are so cool! Love the miniature garden scenes. Very creative use of the fabric. I'm sure the Moms loved them also.

• anitastitch
    10 years ago

I don't know what I like more--the planters or all the nifty stuff in the planters.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, thanks!

I've had a blast making (some of) the tiny decorations. I have a discussion in the house plants forum with more pics & info about the decorations and the non-quilted mini garden I'm making for myself.

A few of the rocks I added are geodes DH cracked open for me, forgot to mention that yesterday. They're kind of sparkly when the light hits them just right.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!!

I spend a lot of time over in the garden forum too. Love your planters! I was looking for an idea for my spider plants, I like all of the attached babies and right now they are dragging the floor lol!!!

I bet for the next few months we can match you sweat for sweat on the humidity!!!

Thanks for posting. Rosa

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank, Rosa! No doubt, in GA I'm sure it's about as humid as it is here.

Your plant sounds beautiful! A tall planter like this would be excellent for spider plant, lots of room around for dangling babies! I'd make a deeper box for those carrot-like roots. Hanging baskets just aren't big enough for them.

I had to dig a big patch of that out of my Mom's front yard. She finally realized it wasn't ever going to stop taking more real estate.

• lilypad22
    10 years ago

Wow! They turned out great! Really beautiful result! Thanks so much for sharing! Many years ago I modge podged clay flowerpots with fabric scraps, like a crazy quilt. Your planter looks much better than what I did with the flowerpots.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lily! My projects usually fail (if they ever get finished.) I'm surprised too!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH