Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

My aunt's quilt under way

loisflan
11 years ago

I decided to take a quilt to my father's sister when my daughter and I visit Chicago in a few weeks. We were never close to that side of my family for reasons I never knew. I really want to visit her before it's too late, and I hope she'll appreciate this gesture.

This is a photo of a quilt I'm making from a pattern called Fashion District by Weeks and Ringle. I spread it out on my design wall (aka the living room floor) to plan it out. It has the flowers and colors of a more traditional quilt with the modern look I love. The colors are really prettier in person.

One thing about this awful weather (it's 37 and drizzling) is that I have more time to quilt. Yay!

Comments (14)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like it, Lois. It looks very elegant, even at this stage. Your visit might be enlightening as to family matters, you never know. :-)

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    11 years ago

I like it. Lovely colors.
    I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
    Don't forget to post a pic of the finished quilt.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• User
    11 years ago

I think your quilt is really beautiful. TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Vanislegirl88
    11 years ago

Love the pattern and love the fabrics you chose. Can't wait to see it finished.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

What a beautiful gesture. I'm sure she'll like it. I like the pattern and the fabric choices. The way it shows through to the floor looks like you could do it with thin gold setting strips for a whole other quilt some day.
    LindaB/CA

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Love the colors.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I really like it and the fabrics are wonderful. Like the touch of Gold! If your aunt isn't thrilled you will understand why your family hasn't been close...lol. I know she will be truly appreciate your thoughtfulness. Congratulations.TFS

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

What a beautiful gesture and a beautiful quilt!

Maryv

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Ditto what others have commented....love the colors, pretty fabric, I too am leaning towards the more modern quilt patterns, they just seem to call me. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    I'm sure the it will be greatly appreciated!....if not...Hi Aunt Lois :-)
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

This is perfect for Batiks - very fashionable. Nice gift.
    I laughed at Nanajayne's comment - she gets the best comment posted of the week! -- "If your aunt isn't thrilled you will understand why your family hasn't been close...lol."

• lola99
    11 years ago

Oooh, this is beautiful too! you are so good at picking the right fabric with the right pattern. I really love looking at what you have put together.

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Those colors all coordinate beautifully! I really like this.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful fabrics!! My dad passed when I was 22 and I was the oldest of 6 girls (still am lol). We kind of drifted away from his side of the family too.

I moved back home and an aunt and uncle (his brother) moved back a few years later. I found out why we drifted - THEY FIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING! I avoid them as much as possible.

I would be so pleased to get a generous gift like yours, I'm sure she will love it.
    Rosa

• polardream
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I hope this is "what it takes" to help your family get closer.
    Good luck.
    Sue

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz