Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Progress on Christy's Grandbaby Quilt

quiltingfox
10 years ago

I just finished hand-sewing the last Granny Square quilt block for Christy's grandbaby quilt. Next week will work on the 4 center blocks for her quilt. And yes it's for a girl. :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (26)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Looking good, Sandra. What's the plan for the center?

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sharon, for the center I am doing 4 12" Baby Bud blocks, 2 with pink centers and 2 with purple centers to tie in with the Grannie Square blocks and use a a little darker green for the leaves/stem and use that same darker green fabric for the backing fabric. I have not decided yet if I am doing the binding in WOW or the green. Just cleared my desk and am beginning to cut fabric for the Baby Bud blocks now. :-) I think I will probably continue to hand-sew the center blocks as I did the Grannie Square blocks to keep seams in the blocks consistent (usually my hand-sewn seams are right at or a tad under 1/4", my seams I do on the sewing machine are a larger 1/4").

Best to you,
    Sandra

• day2day
    10 years ago

Looking good! She's a lucky little girl.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Fun colors. Love how you combined them and can't wait to see the finished product. Kudos for your hand piecing skills. I'm too lazy to learn. Don't finish enough even with a machine!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches! Here is the purple Grannie Square block up close.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's the pink/green Grannie Square block.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the pink G. S. block.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

Very pretty and a perfect little girl quilt!

Maryv

• chrizty
    10 years ago

Love it!! turning out so good :) Cant wait to see the bud blocks
    Thank you Sandra :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I think your colors are going together very well and will look really good as a whole. You're doing great, Sandra.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finished top.
    V.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches! Glad you love it Christy! Am currently cutting out fabric for the Baby Bud blocks which I hope to sew later this week. I am having so much fun making this quilt with all the girly colors!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

So cute and girly. I love it.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Sanda I love girlie!!! I vote green binding!!! As much as I love hand work I have never hand pieced a block.

Do you mark your seam line to keep it straight?? Do you sew a couple of stitches and then back stitch to lock them??

Your blocks are perfectly matched at the seems. That is a lucky little girlie.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all bunches! Glad ya'll like it so far. It has been a joy to work on this quilt! This is the first baby quilt I have ever made for a little girl, and I am loving the colors I get to use. I think the green binding would be good Rosa as it will tie the edges of the quilt to the center of the quilt color-wise and make the white on white fabric in the Grannie Square blocks pop a little more. It took me a whole year of hand-sewing / hand-piecing to learn how to know a 1/4" seam by marking it or measuring it. I have been hand-sewing / hand-piecing for many years now so I just know by looking at it how much is a 1/4" seam and I no longer have to measure or mark as I go. When I hand-sew I double my thread and I make a double knot at the end of it, so I don't have to do any back-stitching when I hand-sew. And I like to use hand-quilting thread when I hand-sew as it is a little stiffer thread and it does not tangle up as easily as all-purpose thread when I am hand-sewing.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• polardream
    10 years ago

What a sweet quilt! I love the grannie squares, they are beautiful. This is going to be one lucky little girl.
    Sue

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Sue! Glad you like the blocks.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    10 years ago

The blocks are lovely. My first wallhanging was hand pieced and I really like to hand sew. But I have so many things I want to get done, I just can't take the time for it. This quilt is going to be beautiful.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Bev. I got one of the center blocks hand-pieced today, now just 3 blocks left to go.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the quilt layout Christy and I decided on today for the center blocks of the quilt. In the very center green square area I am going to make a pink applique flower with a yellow center to match the yellow and pinks in the Granny Square blocks and will edge the flower with crocheted lace. Not doing a border on the quilt, but will do a Leah Day binding in the same dark green fabric as in the Baby Bud blocks and then will edge the outmost edges of the quilt with crocheted laced (which I still need to make). Yay! It's all coming together. :-) It has been such a good day!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Ooooo! Like it!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Linda! Glad you like it. I hope to get started back working on it later next week as I have family coming in for Mother's Day weekend.

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

That will be a very unique quilt with the lace added around the outside. I don't think I've ever seen one like that, but it sure sounds like it'll be pretty. Nice job on the blocks, Sandra.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sharon! I showed my Mom and Sister the blocks this weekend and we decided the backing fabric should be pink hand-quilted with pink thread. We have several RV trips planned this summer so I am hoping to have this quilt finished and ready to mail by August. Happy Mother's Day!

Best to you and thanks,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Very cheerful blocks!

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate! Good to hear from you!

Best to you,
    Sandra