Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karrieyl

French Braid Quilt Pattern

karrieyl
14 years ago

Hi all! I am very new here.. I am searching for a pattern for the French Braid quilt. I dont need the whole pattern as far as how many of this to make that.. I just need to know how to start it... pretty simple instructions.. I am relatively new quilter... so basic & EASY with lots of photos!!!!! Please!!!

Thanks to all

Karriey

Comments (33)

• msmeow
    14 years ago

Here is a free pattern from Quilter's Cache

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Braid quilt

• karrieyl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you SOOO Much.. that is what I have been looking for.. .. Thank you!!!!

I needed the photo thing.. I could read the directions until I was blue in the face.. Im a visual learner I guess.

Thank you once again!

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Here is a link to Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville...beware, you could spent hours and gather a great deal of info...link below is the actual braid info.

http://quiltville.com/

Let us know how you are getting along...

Hope this helps!
    Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiltville

• tom8olvr
    14 years ago

Love the Braid!!! On my list of to do's...

• calliope
    14 years ago

I've done it, and loved the finish product, and it looks easy and actually is......but beware. LOL. This is the pattern I mentioned months ago I started and just got so TIRED of doing the same thing over and over, that I finished without making the matching pillow and settled for one. It can get tedious. Or, maybe I was just not in a sewing mood at the time.

I remember telling myself, If I were to do another one, I'd start the braid off of a triangle instead of a strip to save a little sewing time and keep it square more easily. The bottom gets cut off anyway unless you want a chevron finish to it.

• vicky4x4
    14 years ago

I use braids as borders. I like them. I've never made a whole quilt out of them.

Vicky

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

I have only used them as a border too.
    Calliope I felt like there is too much waste and I end up with a lot of scraps.
    The braid is cut 3 times as long as wide, what size triangle would you use?????????????????????????????
    I like your thinking lol!
    Rosa

• calliope
    14 years ago

If the angles are true, and despite the length/width of the strips, the angles should remain constant, it really doesn't make a difference. The larger the triangle, the more the waste but the easier it is to work with. You'll be cutting off all of it but the depth of the width of one strip. What I had difficulty with was keeping the assembled strips 'straight' or square. It was almost like working with an huge bias strip and I remember stopping frequently to block the piece because if it's the slightest bit off, the error just magnifies itself the longer the strip becomes. I found using a triangular piece instead of starting right out with strips made it easier to get started.

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Thank you!!! I am going to try your method. I used it as a border for a lap size but I did have the same problem and it was heavily starched.
    Rosa

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Karpet,that's a very pretty quilt,and just my colors!!LOLFor making it up as you did, you a great job,
    TFS
    Kathi

• easystitches
    14 years ago

Great quilt Karlene.
    The braid with the center square is very popular here as a
    quilt as you go table runner. A couple of my friends have done gorgeous fall & Christmas ones. I really want to do one too. Jill

• lindykay
    14 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to quilting and to this site. If anyone knows where I can obtain a free download of the French Braid Quilt Pattern (the one with the little squares) I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Lindykay

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Lindykay, just look at the posts above this one. The links that you need are there. Both sites listed have great instructions.

Kate

• rebeccapharr_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I found a french braid patter but it doesn't show the small square in the middle. How do I do that?

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Just sew a square onto the end of alternate strips (for example, all the right side strips) before you add that strip to the braid.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Kate

• imrainey
    13 years ago

Megan Johnson at Will Work for Fabrics has been working on matched braided quilts. Here's a pic of what she's posted so far.

Meg's Texas Braid

I just love the results she got with strong light and dark contrast and the red corner stones for consistency.

• wanda_va
    13 years ago

I am currently making a French Braid quilt, using the table topper pattern. I just continued adding strips until it was the length I wanted...and I used 4 rows for the desired width (with borders in-between).

Here is a link that might be useful: French Braid table topper

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I make them without the square in the middle. Like Wanda, it went to the length that worked for my table.

• imrainey
    13 years ago

Love how you used the fabrics for an ombre effect. And the black is smashing. Is it a tiny print or a batik? The slight variance with the strong black is perfect for the gradations of your colors.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I love French Braid too although I've only made one. This is a little wall hanging I did last year, or maybe it was the year before.
    Kate

• msmeow
    13 years ago

I used the basic table runner pattern for this quilt, too...just added on till it was as big as I wanted.

Donna

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I think Kate's black and yellow was what made me make one. I love that. I also love Donna's colors.

Mine has a dark green batik in the middle, Xmas colors. Red and gold. It's such an easy pattern I should make more. Sharon/Geezerfolks still has the record I think. I'm just a beginner.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Now that I've been reminded how much I like it, I'm thinking I should make another one too! I've recently ordered a couple Bali Pops on sale and am planning to do a log cabin quilt for the guest room. A French Braid wall hanging in the same fabrics would be a nice addition to the project.

I have to admit though that Donna's beautiful quilt has me waivering between log cabin and braid. Great job, Donna!

Toolgranny - I love the colors and fabrics you used!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Quiltville calls it a Pioneer Braid and Quilters Cache just calls it Braid. Technically, IMO, the pattern with the little square isn't a braid, unless it could be determined a variation. When I'd french braid the girls' hair, there wasn't a square at the center nor for a regular braid...and believe me, I've done it thousands of times. Am I being too nit-picky today? Probably. @:)

Enjoy the process!! I burned out a few years ago with tablerunners and I'm still recovering....but it was fun!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I just saw this beautiful french braid quilt on a blog and thought it should be added here. Wonderful selection of blue fabrics!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ice - French Braid Quilt

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Here is a prize winning French Braid quilt from out Oct. 2010 quilt show. It also won the Viewer's Choice.

{{!gwi}}

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Teresa, that one is beautiful! I love the way the colors in the border are opposite of the center.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

WOW!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Can you believe it? The quilter delivered that French Braid prize winning quilt the day after our show finished to a young couple as their wedding gift! I would hate to give up a prize winning quilt I had made.

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Yes, it would be hard to give it up!

Here's an image of the Blue Ice quilt that I linked to above:

And here's a quad of braid table runners from the Jinny Beyer site. The colors are so lush!
    I really like the use of a border fabric to make the center medallion but I think I would use the little cornerstone squares too.

Kate

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Everyone of the samples shown are just fantastic. Thanks everyone for sharing your works of art!

• salijo
    13 years ago

Everyone's quilts are just lovely. I really love the colors in the Jinny Beyer tablerunners and I think if they were sewn together along with other similar strips, they would make a beautiful quilt.

Salijo