Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Grandmother's Flower Garden (pics)

Posted by beeohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 13:13

My Grandmother's Flower Garden --IFFI-- "only" took me 10 1/2 years from start to finish and is aprox 90" x 108". It has 2,645 hexagons (Quilt Pati's plastic templates by Pati Shambaugh). It is all hand pieced & I used an antique wooden floor quilting frame to do most of the hand quilting. I designed the scalloped border which features appliqued flowers with quilted hearts between each.
(Slideshow option beneath picture)
Photobucket

To see a few more pics click here:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Grandmother's Flower Garden (pics)

Bee, your quilt is breathtaking!!!!! I made 2 placemats and that is as far as I got with GFGs.
How did you do the green border, before the lovely scalloped border???
Rosa

o

You did a fantasic job. A wonderful accomplishment and I know you are very proud of the great job you did. It is a real heirloom. TFS Jayne

o

That is fantastic! What a treasure. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful quilt.

~Geraldine

o

Thanks for the comments!

How did you do the green border, before the lovely scalloped border???

I think you are talking about the dark green? Well, I didn't want to have the"zig-zag" edge on the top & bottom that would have occurred had I stopped with the green that is just 1 row past the yellow. So I filled that zig-zag area in with more hexagons so that it is more of (but not quite) a straight edge (like on it is on the sides). Then I took the straight edge of the lighter green border & sewed it together with the hexagons & then just lopped off the excess hexagon. I don't know if that is understandable or not?

I studied for a long time on how to finish off the quilt. Often you see GFG's with no border and you have a "knife edge" finish or it is finished with a binding, which I deemed either would be a real pain to trim top, bottom, & batting then twist & turn around all those hexagonal angles. I thought it would be easier to deal with an added non-hex border. It was, but then it was almost too large to fit on the quilting frame!

o

Oh my, this quilt is fabulous!! This pattern is my favorite of all quilt patterns because of the wonderful memories it brings back. My goal is to make a GFG before I can't quilt anymore. ~LOL~ I may have to settle for a wall hanging because I know how long they take, but that would be fine by me.

Bee thank you so much for sharing this wonderful quilt with all of us. You have just given a beautiful gift to your family that will last long into the future.

Susan

o

Congratulations on finishing it! It is beautiful.

Donna

o

WOW! That is absolutely beautiful. I love the scalloped border - you did a wonderful job. TFS!
Sue/polardream

o

That is a wonderful quilt. You can be very proud. You did a wonderful job on the borders, too.

o

Beautiful quilt!! I love the way you finished it off.

o

Fantastic!! I just love it. It would make a beautiful rug in an area that no one would walk. What a great job.

o

It's a wonderful and beautiful quilt!
Linda

o

Oh............my............gosh! Those pieces are so tiny. I can't even imagine the patience required to do something like that. Yes, it is an heirloom.

o

OH!!!! It's just lovely! Congratulations! It's made my day just seeing it. I love these quilts that take my breath away and I think Oh Man! Perfect! It's inspiring.

o

Spectacular is the only word I can think of. The border is the perfect finish. Well done.

o

Oh Bee, it's stunning! What an heirloom!
You should be very proud!

My GFG is about 1/3 that size & still not quilted!
You are an inspiration! Jill

o

How beautiful! You really have created an heirloom!

o

What a beautiful quilt!! All those little pieces and hand done? Wow!!! It is something to be proud of :-)

o

I may have to get mine out and start back working on it, yep, right after September and the wedding is over!

Vicky

o

Absolutely stunning!!!! What a beautiful heirloom you have created!!

o

Wow! Beautiful work! I also admire your dedication, not to mention your organizational skills keeping track of all the pieces.

What are your plans for this beauty?

Thank you for posting.

o

Yep, that is what I meant about the green border Bee. Thanks for explaining it!! I think you should enter it into a quilt contest. It is definitely a blue ribbon!!!!
Rosa

o

AMAZING!! I love it! Great job and thanks for the picture.

Faye

o

AWESOME!

o

I'm no expert, but I think that's the most fabulous border I've ever seen on a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.
Salijo

o

Absolutely beautiful!! How I wish I had the patience to do something like that.

o

This is the most beautiful GFG quilt I have ever seen!!

o

I love it... I started one about four years ago and it is sitting in the closet!

Vicky

o

It is simply beautiful. I love GFGs but don't have the patience to make one. It reminds of one my grandmother had. Love it!

o

This is one of the prettiest ones I have seen!

I was watching a show on TV and the lady said the centers are normally made with yellow, but you can use any color(s) you want. I didn't know the traditional center color was yellow.

o

That is truly a lovely quilt!!! :-) I know you spent a lot of time making it. One of these days I hope to make one, it's on my quilts to make wishlist. It is truly inspiring to see one finished!

Best to you,
Sandra

o

I can't even grasp the enormity of that project - all hand pieced and quilted. What a lovely quilt and what a commitment. You have created a treasure that will be passed down through the years. Beautiful work and design.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here