Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - May 2013

toolgranny
10 years ago

This month is a very traditional (and easy) block, the LOG CABIN. It is especially good for the newer quilter as it will illustrate how a block with that many seams can change in size and not come out to what you want.

Tip: When you cut the strips 1-1/2", please cut that last outside strip 2". That way the winner can trim it to the 12-1/2" no matter what size. They will thank you for it.

Lets use old fashioned colors, see sample. I used my Civil War scraps but any tan print and darker small prints will work. One half is the tan, the other side is the dark. I chose a maroon sort of red for the center so it matched.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

A few specifics:

- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

-12â blocks must measure 12.5â x 12.5â with no more than 1/4â variation. If we call out a different size, it will always show on the pattern but the measurements must stay true so that the winner will be able to assemble the quilt easily.

-With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 in the pkg to cover postage for mailing the blocks to the winner.

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just makes it more interesting).

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing. If your block is still in transit, please let us know so you can be included.

- you will have 1 chance to win per block.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valarie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her an e-mail at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Those who complain get this job next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Log Cabin block pattern

Comments (26)

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I'm definitely in this month. I love Log Cabin blocks!

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

love the log cabin...looking forward to making a few for May!

Sharon just picked the April Lotto winner.. find out who won on the April Lotto post......

V.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Is the centre block 2x2? finished?
    Like Log Cabins a lot.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Center finishes 2". Check pattern. It has you cut a 2-1/2" square and 1-1/2" wide strips. Cut that last outside strip 2" wide instead to make sure block can be trimmed to 12-1/2" please. I've never made a log cabin yet that came out the right size unless I made the last strip wider and trimmed this way.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

That's great advice to cut the outside strips 2"!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Sorry about my dumb question. If I had checked out the pattern, I would have known.
    We will blame it on sun exposure. I have been out weeding and cleaning up gardens and my brain got fried. Didn't wear a hat.
    I did check out Fabric though but probably won't get to sewing till next week some time.
    The LQG is having its show this weekend. And on Monday, I have to take a driver's test. Here in Ontario, everyone at age 80 must take a test before getting their license renewed. No driving required but taking a written test on road rules and traffic signs. So I will be reading the handbook for the next few days.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

A nice morning sewing and I have my three done. I'll get them to Valarie this week. They look huge because of the outside strip being 2" but the winner can easily cut them down to size.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

And mine
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those look great. I'll try and get a couple of more made just so the pot has more. Someone will have a very nice quilt.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

May is marching by....18 days remaining in the month..Let's get sewing...(me included)!

V.

• polardream
    10 years ago

I have 2 finished and want to try for 3 but can't get to them until Sunday or Monday next week ... will keep you posted how many I will be sending.
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Log Cabin is such a classic quilt design and the blocks can be arranged in an almost endless variety of ways. I hope some people who haven't participated in Lotto before will give this one a try; it may look tricky but it goes together easily and it's a good use for even small scraps of fabrics.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Oh, Kate, You want lots of blocks sent in this month and hope you win. (((Kate)))

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Exactly!!! LOL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Hi...bumping this back up to the top.

Log cabin is such an easy and traditional block- I'm surprized response has been a tad s l o w...There's lots of time over the coming holiday weekend to get those blocks assembled. 10 days left in the month, so there's lots of time to make and mail!

V.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

rats! I've been too busy this month (and April) to even get to the forum! Log Cabin is awesome....I can't wait to see them all in. Sure wish I'd had time to participate this time. Whoever wins these will have an old fashioned treasure!!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Beth...You have time if you want to send in some log cabin blocks...just let me know when you mail and I'll hold off the drawing, no problem!

I finally finished my blocks today...

V.

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

aww...thanks so much V! I seriously doubt that I could pull that off by even Friday, but I'll let you know if I make the attempt. For right now, however, accept my Thanks!! but probably have to pass on that more than generous offer!!! :)

• polardream
    10 years ago

I am sending 2 blocks - it's all I could get done. They may be late getting to you since we are camping until Friday, but I PROMISE THEY ARE COMING!!!!! Don't put me in for the drawing, but know that you will get 2 more!
    Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

May Lotto Recipient is Kate!!!

There was only one participant for the May Lotto who wanted to be in the drawing ..soooo...that left one lucky quilter who happens to be our former lotto host...K8

Enjoy!

V.

• polardream
    10 years ago

Congrats Kate! My blocks were mailed to Valarie on Friday - hopefully they will arrive Monday or Tuesday so she can include them in with the rest!
    Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

ConGratz, Kate!!!!

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

WooHOO! I will put these to good use as a donation quilt, probably for QOV or for the tornado victims. A big thanks to all who participated.

Thank you!

Kate

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Yes, congratulations Kate! You wanted 'em, you got 'em. Now do good things.
    Theresa

• beth7happy
    10 years ago

wow!! Very good!! Congrats, Kate!!!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Yay Kate! I'm happy you won! These are great blocks.
    Congrats!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022