Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

Making my brother a quilt!

dawnp
11 years ago

I am planning to make my brother a quilt for his 60th birthday. I am going to do the quilt in a day - field and furrows. I made him a different version about 20 years ago but it is worn out and he has asked for another one.

I like the log cabin pattern because it is not complicated and looks masculine enough

Does anyone have any good color suggestions?

Also, what should I use as the backing - a cotton sheet?

I am a sewer but have only made about 3 quilts and it has been awhile.

I am grateful for any input you have!

Dawn

Comments (16)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Sounds like a fun thing to do. Color is a personal thing but I like blues or brown for type of quilt but I would find out what his preferences maybe.
    I wanted to remark about the use of a sheet for the back, if you are machine quilting I think it is a great way to go. Someone mentioned getting sheets from Walmart a while back and I decided to try it. I was shocked at how inexpensive it was an the quality was fine. It took some looking to find just a flat sheet but it was worth it.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

When I think 'men', I think blues, greens, grays, browns.

Since he's asked specifically for this quilt, then I'd also ask him for a color preference. I think it would look nice with dark/navy blues opposite tans/creams.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Sheets can be great for backings, but don't get the 300+ thread count sheets. They are difficult to quilt through, both by hand, and they can give you tension problems when machine quilting. 200 thread count cotton sheets are great.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I like earthy colors for masculine quilts. Dark blues and greens look good contrasted with creams and even yellows and oranges. I agree with the lower count sheets for backing. I have used sheets, but my machine isn't really happy with them.

beverly

• dawnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input! I just spoke with his wife and she recommends light tans/creams with olive greens. I really love the idea of the navy also but I think they want something that will blend with their room. I am going to head to the quilting store tomorrow to get the fabrics.

What do you all usually use for the backing? I figured the sheet would be easier and less expensive but am open to other options as he is going to use it to nap. I definitely
    want it to be cozy.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Check out online sources for wide backings - they really are much better than sheets.

Hancock's of Paducah
    Keepsake Quilting

are two sources, and I'm sure others will jump in with other sites they use. Just google the names.

I often use one of the fabrics from the quilt top, and just piece it. But I also buy wide yardage if I find one that will work.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I am using a sheet for the first time for the backing of my grandma's queensize quilt. I got my king flat sheet for it and the package said it is suppose to measure 108" W x 102" L, but when I took it out of the package and I took a tape measurer to it, it actually measures 105" W x 101" L. I liked the 200 thread count Mainstays flat sheet fabric, but just double check your actual measurement before you start your project. It was still way cheaper to buy a flat sheet at Walmart than to buy 9 yards to finish out a queensize quilt backing .

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dawnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

I drove up to the closest quilting store and asked for help choosing fabrics. The nice lady there spent about 45 minutes with me and we came up a a set of fabrics that I think is going to look great! I am excited about working on it!

The light colors are three light solids and the darker colors are multi-colored batiks(lots of greens, golds, and terracota).

I chose one of the solids for the backing as it was nice and soft. I decided against using the sheet.

I am really glad I went to that store and had the help as I would never have been able to visualize it myself.

I will be working on it this week so I'll post a square and then the finished product.
    Dawn

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

For backing I really love the unbleached muslin. It gives the quilt such a soft cozy feel. You can get the really wide stuff at Walmart so that you don't have to piece it. I believe the widest is 108" and the price is not bad. Lovely to quilt through too.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Dawn, that's one of the really great things about quilt shops...they will take the time to help you and they usually have great advice. Not a service you can get at the local JoAnn's store. :)

Your quilt sounds like it will be lovely! Did you decide on the log cabin pattern? I made my hubby a Judy Martin log cabin variation for his 50th birthday last year. It's mostly med to dark blues with a good amount of dark greens and some red and brown. It looks really nice!

Donna

• dawnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda - Thanks for that great idea. I will use that on the next one. I already bought a coordinating fabric. Of course it cost more but it is a gift.

Donna - Yes, the quilt stores are great and there is no way I would have come up with such a nice combination. If I'm going to invest my time in something and actually get it finished, I have to love it. I think I will go back to the quilt store for the next one too.

Your quilt sounds very beautiful! Have you posted a photo somewhere that I could see?

I am doing a log cabin and already have it started. I got all the strips cut today and added the lst light and first dark strips to the squares and am going to work on it more tonight. Hopefully I can get the top done this week.

I'll be back to ask for help on the binding!

Dawn

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Dawn, here's the quilt I made for my hubby.

Donna

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Donna, what a beautiful quilt!! I love the vibrant blues and reds as well as the weave effect. Such a cozy and comforting look this quilt has! Well-done indeed!

• dawnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna -

That is gorgeous!I love the geometric design and the log cabins as well as the beautiful blues!

I hope he loves it!

Thanks for sharing!

Dawn

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Thanks, ladies! He does like it a lot. I named it "Max's Log Cabins" after our kitty we lost around the time I finished it. Our new kitty George likes it a lot, too!
    Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Donna, I love seeing this quilt again. Yours is one of the prettiest Log Cabin Quilts I have seen. The colors are perfect.