Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Threads Question

Posted by anitastitch (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 12:48

Hi Quilters,

Today I'm experimenting with free motion quilting using Golden Threads. So far, so good, but was wondering if there's an easy way to remove the paper once finished sewing. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Threads Question

I have mostly used copy paper for FM quilting. You just tear off as much as you can and the rest should come out in the wash. I think one of Golden Threads' selling points is that is dissolves easily.

Donna

o

Pull as much as possible then wash. It'll take care of itself!

You can also spritz it with water and that makes it easier to pull off.

o

I've never used it. Is it easy? Fun? Good results?

Kate

o

It is basically onion skin paper that can be used for drawing your quilt design onto and thne placing onto your top. There are a few ways to use it.

#1-stack a number of papers together, staple so they don't shift. Trace your design onto the top paper and stitch through your machine with needle but no thread. This perforation can be used with powder to mark your top, or you could pin a paper onto your top and stitch following the design.

#2 - you could trace your quilt pattern onto the number of papers that you need and then pin those and quilt following the pattern.

I used it with good results. The onion skin paper tears really easily when removing, and water will wash away any little pieces that are still left.

HTH

o

Thanks for the input. This was the first time I ever used this technique. It worked pretty well. I just did it in the center of my quilt--about a 12" block emblem design. Not sure I'd want to do a whole quilt this way though, I kind of like drawing with thread as I go, but for big center designs--you can't beat it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here