Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Uncle J's Ties

I'm still working on finishing touches and have a couple pic's with 2 different 'touches' as I couldn't decide which one I liked best.....but DH likes a 3rd one better. I don't have a picture of it yet, so will post that later. These 2 have ties in the center. In the corners are 'boxed candy' triangles as he was such a Russell Stovers freak! I left them open so she could attach some of his tie tacks if she wanted to. I think I'll put a couple little velcro dots between the background and the choc fabric so she can tuck something in there and it won't fall out.

SharonG/FL - Another UFO almost done!

Comments (28)

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I like the 'chocolates' in the corner.... Chocolates anywhere are good, huh!?

I prefer the center of the first picture (of these two)... The black just seems stagnant to me.

Let's see the 3rd version and I'll choose for sure.

Love finishing those UFOs!!!

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Oh, wow, Sharon! What a memory quilt! I think I prefer the first picture, too.

Congratulations on getting it (nearly) finished!

Donna

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful layout, and the ties' colors go together well...nothing clashes. Reminds me of a huge oval dresden platter.

I actually like the center in the second photo. Not too sure why, but maybe it's the sense of seeing one solid black "tie clip" holding the center together, rather than two different colors/patterns making it look like you're gazing through a narrow window.

But I'm looking forward to seeing your thrid photo too!

Julie

• nannykins
    11 years ago

What would it look like if the white background filled that whole centre space????
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Very clever! I think I like the solid center better.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I like the first one best, too. Nice job. What a memorial.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here we go with the third option. DH likes this because he thought of it! I'm leaning toward the first picture.... I'll have Salijo come in and see what she thinks Elaine would like best.

Done for the day......

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I also like #1 -- but a compromise would be to include a small section of the chocolate in the center of the 2 ties in the middle of #1.

You've made a terrific quilt - you know she is going to cry!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I already had that thought Marsha, it's on the floor being auditioned and we like it best. So that's the way I'll sew it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone......

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I like the first one, very nice gift!!
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

They are all very nice but #3 gets my vote. Like the contrast of having the chocolates to tie with the corners. Not as pleased with # 1 as with #2.
    A nice memorial and gift.

• calverttx
    11 years ago

No help from me, I love all of them. You are a great designer.

• User
    11 years ago

What fun the ties are. I agree there will be many memories and she may want to put tie clips on too.

I love it.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sharon ~ please post a pic of the quilt again when you finish it.

Also - what color binding did you put on Tie a Yellow Ribbon?
    Just curious :)

• lola99
    11 years ago

Looks great Sharon. What a wonderful keepsake.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marsha, I will for sure post a picture when it's done. I had plans to work on it today, but it didn't happen.

I really did have fun with the ties, even though it took me forever to do it and was a bear to haul around. I'm going to have to weigh that thing!

I just took pictures of Tie a Yellow Ribbon (For the Troops) and will post a final one of it on the initial post I made in 2010 so anyone who looks at that thread will be able to see the end result. I used a milk choc for the binding.

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The quilt was delivered today (4.5 pounds), and she did her best not to cry, but her eyes filled up immediately. I never noticed, until today, how one end of the ties is wider than the other end, but it still looks symmetrical....almost like a tear drop....sigh.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sharon ~ I always noticed ~ I thought it was planned! It mimics the shape of a tie - more narrow at one end. Really - it looks great! Great job!

I knew she was going to cry! This is a very nice keepsake.

You are a sweetie!
    Great picture of the two of you and the tie quilt.

I bet you are happy to get it done and gone! Next big project?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Marsha, I'm glad it's done and gone. lol But, I know how much she loved/s him (me, too...love them both...we would have so much fun together).

This is the 4th UFO completed this year and the 5th one (Brown's Chocolate Stars) just needs to be quilted, so that's next. I'm hoping to get it done this week so my niece can take it back to Michigan with her for her DH. If anyone is in the Niles area, from what I understand, it will end up at Brown's Funeral Home.

SharonG/FL

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I think it is a wonderful quilt filled with memories. I am so glad you shared it with us. It turned out beautiful. Now on to more. I looked at some in your album while in FB. What a marvelous collection. You can be proud.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Sharon, what a thoughtful and creative quilt. I'm sure it will be treasured. Lois

• bev2009
    11 years ago

It looks beautiful! But which one is you?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Jayne, This is the 5th year I've been keeping them in photobucket. Then came Facebook.... @:)

Thank you, Lois. She said she plans to 'showcase' it on the back of her couch, but nobody can sit there until she takes it off. She doesn't want their head on it. Sounds like a good idea if she doesn't want it greased up.

Oh Bev2009. 'Aunt' Elaine is the one who is 9 months older than me. I'm the 'young' one! lol Gray hair, pink top and have her in a headlock! LOL We were in the same class during highschool and became best friends. Then she married my uncle (who was 2 years older than me) the year after my DH and I married. We have a lot of fun memories.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

It is beautiful Sharon! I know it must have been a very emotional project.
    Rosa

• polardream
    11 years ago

Sharon, it turned out beautifully. I love the finished "compromise" on chocolates. Such a thoughtful and loving gift. Kudos to you!
    Sue

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

That is georgeous! You are so thoughtful and creative!

A beautiful keepsake!

Gwen

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Love it!! Great way to celebrate a tie wearer! My dh wears a tie every day, so I might have to hide some of the special ties through the years to make him something like this. I think it's a great way to save them with them being stuck away in a box or drawer.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Thanks for showing us the finished product. It turned out great and you know she'll treasure it.

Kate

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!