Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

What is your favorite HST quilt/quilt block?

teresa_nc7
11 years ago

While making some Half Square Triangles for Beverly's projects, I was reminded how easy and fast! these are to make.

I know I like Birds in the Air and Lady of the Lake blocks; what are your favorite quilt blocks to make with HST? I'm interested in smaller blocks for baby quilts.

Thanks!

Teresa

Comments (22)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Not sure about a name for this as I made it up....could make the HST's any size you want....light with dark.

I like baskets, too.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

That's pretty, Sharon!

I've made a lot of HST miniatures lately. I also like birds in the air and lady of the lake. Just this morning I was thinking I could use up some more with Jacobs ladder.

I like star blocks, too...like Ohio Star and variable star.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I haven't made enough to have a favorite yet, but that surely is a pretty quilt, Sharon. It looks just like a stained glass window. The black sashing really sets each block off.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I like the same ones as you Teresa. But, I've recently started a depression block that I really like. It's like Sharon's and you can make it any size. Bev gave me the idea of using 6" squares. Hope to turn out a big Xmas gift quilt with these. I don't like the mustard one but I shuffle colors around a lot before I sew.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Yes. I was going to say Depression block too.
    I made one once. You know the lemon-lemonade saying. Well, these were 2" finished HST's that I was making for something(???), they were all jewel tone colours and various neutrals. I really didn't like as it went together (whatever it was). So it became a twin sized Depression block quilt. Every time I pass the bedroom with that quilt, it catches my eye and it sparkles.
    Lemonade!!
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like zig-zags, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: rainbow zig-zag

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I have never given it much thought but I really like the rainbow zig-zag. That may be come one on my list. I would like to do a lap quilt for each of my Grandchildren for Christmas and that looks doable.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Depression block and Carpenters Wheel.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

My favorite is the basic Variable Star. Changing the inside square gives the block many different looks and many different names.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

I just love the Depression Block! I have made several quilts using it and never get bored with it.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the Depression Block is sooooo easy! Guess I could make the HSTs smaller for a baby quilt?

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found a Fickr group for just HST quilts! I really like the Eight of a Kind quilt and lots of variations on the Depression block.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr group HST quilts

• karpet
    11 years ago

I have a bag of blue and green scraps that I am cutting out for a pork 'n beans quilt. I also want to do an ocean wave quilt and have a turquoise toile fabric that I want to use for the big blocks. I'm just getting ready to reassemble the pinwheel quilt top that I rescued from a thrift store and thought I would just tear-out and resew the blocks together straighter, but once I started ripping, I ended up taking it all the way down to the base unit! (Once you start ripping, it's hard to know where to stop!)
    Karlene

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Teresa, cool Flikr group! I like that 8 of a kind, too.

Okay, Karlene, what does pork & beans look like?

I have a small ocean waves hanging on the wall now.

Donna

• calliope
    11 years ago

Buckeye Beauty and all the variations one can do with this basic pattern, by reversing or flipping the block or working in different patterns of light/dark, thus making jewel box and the one I hope to start this winter.........Blue Ridge Beauty. My g'grandmother was from Richmond county, Va. and spoke often of the Blue Ridge mountains. I guess that is my inspiration.

Here is a link to Quiltville's version of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ridge Beauty

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

ME TOO, what is pork n beans???? Karlene, taking something apart is right up there with cleaning house lol!!

I enjoy making HSTs with the 8 at a time pattern - I don't care for the grid method at all.

After seeing yous guys post pics of the 'Depression Block' it's on my list. The one I have enjoyed so far was Bonnie's different sizes of the Ohio Star - I used a large floral and white and it turned out very pretty.

Why do we spend more time and make sure they are the best we can make them and then GIVE them away LOL??
    Rosa

• karpet
    11 years ago

Oops! It should be corn n' beans! (can you tell I'm thinking of picnics?!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn n' Beans

• new2quilting
    11 years ago

In Color Order's Block of the Month uses 16 HSTs each month. Interesting to see the different patterns it makes. If I can finish a few other things I'd like to just make a bunch of HSTs and do these as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: In Color Order blogspot BOM

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I like that idea!!!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I sure like that corn n beans one. What a good way to use scraps.

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Wow! Great question! I just started (May 17th, 2012) on Bonnie's Blue Ridge Beauty. It was sure fun to watch all the blues I pulled from my stash go down as I cut 2 in. squares and 3&7/8th triangles! Got a sore arm...lol
    Hint: I cut while my phone was on "speaker" setting.

Below is a link to many HST quilts...

Enjoy!
    Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: HST quilts

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I love Bonnie's Blue Ridge Beauty! I saw a very simple quilt of squares and HSTs on diagonal rows. I have some fabric that I did not know what to do with NOW I DO lol!!!!!