Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Weekend quilting 5/10-5/11?

msmeow
9 years ago

Does anyone have quilty plans for this Mother's Day weekend?

We saw our parents last Saturday, then Sunday we took a day trip to celebrate our anniversary, so this weekend I plan to hole up in the sewing room!

I finished 2 miniatures this week (will post photos). I have 2 projects for the weekend. One is to make a label for the baby quilt I finished recently so I can get the quilt washed and wrapped. The other is to keep working on the Thangles. I still have quite a few to make and I'd like to get them all done before I start assembling blocks.

Donna

Comments (18)

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

I will probably spend time in my sewing room this weekend. I made my quilt along blocks this week and the May Quilt Doodle block too. Last week I bought a new pattern and the ruler that goes with it. I made a couple blocks from scraps to try it and I like it. DH gave me a bundle of FQs for Christmas that I plan to use with this pattern so I may start cutting it out. I still have to get background fabric to go with it.
    We plan to see our family later this month so we won't be getting together for Mother's Day.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, what pattern/ruler did you get?

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

The pattern is Night Sky by Jaybird Quilts and the ruler is called Sidekick. The ruler allows you to cut diamond shapes and the side triangles to go with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Night Sky quilt

• msmeow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh, that's pretty! I can't wait to see yours. :)

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I'm baaaaack! No plans for Mother's Day, but hope to be able to bind this third UFO and get it delivered. That's my goal for this week-end.

That's a very pretty quilt, LindaOH

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I like that quilt Linda. I am doing some hand-quilting on my parents' Card Tricks quilt this weekend, right now am working on blocks 9 & 10 (out of 100 blocks) so I have a long way to go. I also checked out some quilt books from my local library this week so plan to read and look through some of them. Saturday my husband's sisters' families and his parents and us are going out to eat to celebrate Mom's Day. So other than that and Sunday school as usual Sunday morning I plan to spend some time hand-quilting. Aside from stormy weather should be a relaxing weekend. Hope everyone enjoys their Mother's Day weekend.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Oh I like Night Sky very much!

I don't have any specific plans for sewing this weekend but hope to find some time for it. I have to work on some of the chores I didn't attend to last weekend first.

• polardream
    9 years ago

I finished a paper-pieced square we started at our quilt group last night. Paper piecing in SO time consuming! There is no way I would want to try an entire quilt using that method... but I digress...

The weather is supposed to be fairly nice tomorrow (before it might snow on Sunday) so need to get some yard work done and clean the garage. DH is helping DS with some wood working projects so no one here to bug me while I toss stuff away! Also need to clean house a bit - my nephew is coming in from AZ for a job interview and he should arrive Sunday.

I hope to sandwich at least one quilt and maybe two ... we'll see how the cleaning goes!

Sue

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Maybe. We have a big family get-together that'll keep us all day Sunday, but I'm in the middle of a project that I'd like to work more on. I'm making a purse insert that holds all your stuff so you can move it from one bag to another without totally reorganizing your stuff. Picked up the necessary notions today.

I would love for DH to finish putting my closet back together, but his motorcycle is now out of commission until he fixes the front suspension, so guess which takes priority...esp. since he commutes with the motorcycle!

Oh well... I'll work on little projects in the little space I've made.

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

This is the FQ bundle that I plan to use for Night Sky. I will have to buy the background fabric before I can start sewing.
    Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Fat quarters for Night Sky

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Linda...Night sky is oohhh so nice. Be sure to post your finished quilt...looking forward to seeing that one!

Hope to spend some time in the sewing room Sunday and start on a quilt for my niece.

V.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

The grands went home today, youngest DD went to Chattanooga to take her exam, DH is at work, so I washed some fabric and started strip piecing the Forest Service quilt. Tomorrow I will bind the wedding quilt and hopefully sew more strips.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Our plans have changed. DD's DH called yesterday and his mother asked him to bring the Geezer and me with them when they go and see her today. She said it's been too long since they have seen us. What a special lady! Free meal doesn't hurt either. lol

I have the binding attached to the third UFO and just need to sew it down and then wash it before giving. Not sure what the next project will be, but will find something to finish up......maybe the wonky pinwheels and/or sandwiching another quilt.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

DD#2 gave me a lovely gift certificate to Keepsake Quilting. I pored over the catalogue and this is part of my order. It is Stonehenge Brights and the quilt pattern comes from Scrap Basket Sensations. I am sure the block has an official name but I don't know it. Easy to do and I may consider it again. Good for strips. And the backing was a find at Joann's, Just finished it today.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Tried to put two pics in one post but having trouble.
    This is the backing
    Theresa.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love it, Theresa! The backing is perfect, and I love the scrappy binding.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

The polka dot backing is just right! You made a great choice!
    I didn't get any sewing done this weekend but we tackled a job in the sewing room that's needed doing for a while. Remember the cat shelves we put up? Well after countless dashes up and down the shelves, the cats managed to loosen two of the shelves. The loosening tore big holes in the drywall too! So the shelves came down, then I patched the drywall and repainted the wall while Jim hunted for better shelf supports. He ended up with two brackets per shelf, anchored into the concrete block on the other side of the wall. Even the big cat (Jack continues to round out his figure!) can't make these wobble. No quilting, but the wall looks great and the cats are happy.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Bright and fun! Looks great.
    Linda B/CA