Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Memorial Day May 26-28

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I plan to do lots of sewing this weekend.

Today I am going to the parade for our returning soldier who was injured in Afghanistan. Our guilt group made a quilt for him and it will be given to him at the ceremony following the parade. His aunt who is also a member of our group will do the presentation from Piecemakers.

Are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (29)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And what is your group feeling "guilty" about??LOL
    Hope all our American cousins have a lovely weekend.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

No quilting (or guilting!) for me this weekend! I'll be at Sanibel Island with my toes in the sand and a rum drink in my hand.

"Oh Cabana Boy! More ice, please!"

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Memorial weekend is DH's ONLY sporting event the entire year - Indy 500. He actually eats pizza in the living room, LOL. Hooray-people driving in circles!

I plan to finish a couple of quilt bindings, sitting in the kitchen watching a movie, but I will join in the pizza eating and watch a bit of the race.

Oops - he does have another sport - Tour de France.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Another typo. In the church bulletin, one Sunday.
    The "graft" group will be holding its bazaar this weekend.
    Theresa

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I had to read that guilt typo 3 times before I caught it, LOL!! That's a great thing you're doing for that soldier, awesome!!

Kate, I have a few more weeks and I'll have my feet in the sand, too. I can hardly wait!!

No quilting here. We are putting a new pontoon boat in the water this weekend so we'll be on it most of the time.

Robbi

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Ooh, Kate - I'm jealous! I haven't been to Sanibel in years, but my girlfriend from work and her family go every year. They will be there week after next.

I hope to get some quilting in. I need to quilt the top I plan to give to our pastor. I also have a Quilt U class starting tonight, so I'll probably make a JoAnn's run early Sun. morning.

We got new patio furniture last night so I need to clean up our picnic table for donation to the church and clean the screened porch. I really should clean the house, too. :( Hubby's working tomorrow so maybe I'll do the housework then.

Donna

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Kate, if you aren't concerned about diet, make sure you get to Cheeburger Cheeburger. The best onion rings on earth. Also a neat place is the Bubble Room on Captiva. I love Sanibel Island, have been going there since the mid-1970's. We used to go every summer and get a cheap room with a kitchen. Now we don't get there but once in a few years, and there are no cheap places anymore. We went year before last and were shocked at how all those trees that were all along the main drag were gone, taken down mostly by all those hurricanes, the rest they just went ahead and took down. It looked so different from the old days.
    I might get some quilting in, I finally had to break down and BUY the flannel needed to finish the backing on this string quilt. There was no way I could use the scraps I had to finish it, they were too small and not near what I wanted for it. So it's almost completely a stash quilt except for that.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I hope to start quilting my Blushing Aspens table runner. I got some thread for it this noon, and I'll pick up my single hole plate on the way home tonight, along with my new Janome Jem Platinum 720. I also hope to get some work done on my pineapple quilt.

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone. Lois

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Rita, we used to have a Bubble Room here in Orlando. What a fun place to go! We dragged DH there for his 30th birthday and they did a great job of "celebrating!" He really hates to be the center of attention so he swore to get us all back! :)

Donna

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I always like the variety of what we're doing on the weekends! I "quilted" in the garden this morning, and yes, I did use some fabric...lol! I planted corn, using the 3 Sisters method, which means putting corn, beans, and pumpkins or squash seeds all in the same hole. Four rows of corn, with beans in the outside two rows, pumpkins in one outside row, and gourds in the other 3 rows. I pegged down landscaping fabric between each row and immediately adjacent to the 2 outside rows to keep the weeds down. Since the hoe was hand-propelled, would you call what I did "hand-sowing"?
    Tomorrow begins with trips to the local farmers market and a couple of yardsales, where I hope to find some quilting fabric. Then I have more flowers to plant and a floor to install in my little greenhouse. After that, I'll probably spend Sunday and part of Monday doing some actual sewing with my machine. We're supposed to be getting some rain in the next few days. Lunch on Monday will be spent with my parents. It's my mother's 78th birthday, so I'm heading to their house with cake and a card.
    Somewhere in there, I need to fit in some margaritas!

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Kate, I hope you have a great time... I've never been, but I know people who have and it seems pretty cool!

The Sewing Studio called the other day and my machine is ready, so today, a friend who lives on that side of town offered to pick it up for me... I called The Sewing Studio and gave them his name and they had no problem with that, so I'll see him tomorrow and get my machine back... YAY! :O)

Andy (the repair guy) said on the phone that he didn't see any broken needles in the machine, which is weird because I heard then rattling around as I brought it in from the car... he did say the first thing he does is blow the machine out with high pressured air, so they might have flown somewhere...

Finally! Have to work Sunday, so it will likely be a while before I get any quality quilting time...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

No quilting for me. Our granddaughter graduated high school Wednesday and my sister from MN came down with her daughter. My niece with her daughter and mom came in today from Michigan and 9 more are showing up tomorrow (from Indiana) for the open house and karaoke party. Pontoons have been reserved for Sunday and I'll probably be packing and putting all my sewing things out of sight and tell DH to keep my bedroom doors closed so the cats don't get in there and play. Early Monday morning, the 12 passenger van with 6 adults and 5 kids from 4 - 17 will head out to Indiana.....I've never traveled in one of those, so hope it'll be ok.

I'm so tired from playing and having so much fun with my family, I could cry. It must be bedtime.

SharonG/FL

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

You're right, Dan, it is fun to see all the different things we do on our weekends. Today my husband and I celebrate our wedding anniversary - 39 years! We are not doing a lot though. We both like fondue so I will make that later in the day. I started out trying to work in the yard this morning, but I didn't last long. It's very hot out there.
    I started a quilt which will hopefully go on Etsy at some point so maybe I will work on it some more over the weekend. I would like to be out in the garden more, but I may not be able to handle much more of the heat. I need to get out there long enough to water things though.

Congratulations on your new graduate, Sharon.
    Linda, how wonderful for your community to throw its support behing the wounded soldier.

Have a great weekend and safe travels to those who are traveling.

Jeanne

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Jeanne! My hubby and I just celebrated 29 on the 6th. Have a great day!

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Sounds like just about everyone will be busy this weekend. I hope you all have fun or get a lot accomplished if you are sewing, cleaning, etc.

I'm working on a commissioned quit today and the rest of the long weekend. It's a nickel quilt called "Seabreeze" from the latest Nickel Quilts book. I want to finish this up in June if possible. I also plan to make more tea wallets for out guild show boutique, and I have a cotton lawn top cut out all ready to sew up.

Teresa

• calliope
    11 years ago

It'll be hotter than Hades here for the whole weekend, so we have been working outside until mid-day and coming in for a few hour's siesta/relaxation before we go back out and work when the sun is closer to the horizon. I just spent an hour doing some hand quilting, like I do most days and when I go back out, shall take a hose to the Gazebo and spray the interior down because it's so dusty from over the winter. I'll be toting my quilt down there to finish up the hand work near the borders and enjoy the breezes at the same time.......and I don't want to get the fabric too dusty.

Nothing planned for the weekend, other than to gather flowers and take bouquets to the cemetery tomorrow.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Me again! I still haven't done any sewing. Yesterday after the parade, DH and I uncovered the pool and hooked up all the hoses, etc.. Today I planted flowers in the morning and went to a graduation party for my nephew in the afternoon.
    Now I'm ready to sew!
    Linda OH

• polardream
    11 years ago

We had a graduation last night, on our 32nd anniversary. Dinner out at the neighbors!! :) Today we built a new gate for our fence (my anniversary present).

The principal where I taught is retiring after 28 years. After I finally figured out how to get the silly label to print in my printer, it worked like a breeze and now just need to finish sewing the label and binding on. Guess that is up next.

Tomorrow is DS's girlfriend's birthday, so hopefully will get to see them & give her her gift. (not a quilt this year). We will bring the RV home & get it ready to go camping Tuesday - after the crowds!

Sharon, safe travels!

It certainly sounds like everyone will be busy.
    Enjoy,
    Sue

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I doubt I'll get to any sewing for the next couple of weeks. I sold my house and have been looking madly for a new place to live because the new owner wants to close on July 6th. When I find someplace to go the next big move will be sorting, packing, throwing out and getting organized. It's going to be a crazy June.

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

Well, late Friday afternoon the air conditioner broke down. Yes, of course, right before a LONG holiday weekend. We live in Florida, yesterday it got up to 94 degrees in the shade outside, 89 degrees here in the house. So, no sewing this weekend. We were warned last fall that the unit was on it's way out so no sense in calling for service on a Holiday weekend with higher rates and then be told it can't be fixed. So now we're looking at buying a new one. I made DH use the grill last night for dinner, fans running all over the house blowing the hot air all over. I look back years ago and can't believe it wasn't until I was 27 years old that I ever had air conditioning in the house, and I've lived in Florida all my life. We sure are spoiled.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

OMG, Rita - ours croaked last night! Must be the weather. Right now the indoor temp is 80. Thank goodness for ceiling fans! I was trying to quilt but the dining room is hot even with the a/c on, so I'm taking a break.

I also grew up in FL with no a/c. It's all about what you're used to, I guess! :)

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

WHAT THE DEVIL - MINE BROKE TOO LOL!!!!

The annoying part with ours is this is the 3rd year in a row we have had problems. The tech came out a month ago and said we had a leak that he needed to trace - he disappeared for 2 weeks - then on the third week says he found the leak and has to order the part - I told DH it is going to go out on a holiday weekend!!

We are due to have rain all weekend so it could be worse - but it would have been reparied if the tech had been a little more efficient!!

I also grew up in hot and humid without AC!!!! For a month to 6 weeks we are hotter and more humid than Central Florida!!

Enjoy the beaches - I love the Florida West coast!!
    Have a great trip Sharon - at least you'll have someone to talk to lol!!!!!
    Rosa

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Oh, no, Rosa! How annoying that the a/c guy didn't fix it in time. Are you getting bad weather from TS Beryl? We've had some rain and (fortunately) a good breeze blowing so it's only gotten up to 84 in the house.

I just finished sewing the binding on my king size quilt! Woohoo! Not sure how much sewing I'll get done tomorrow. We may have to go to the movies or something to get in a/c! :)

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Update:

OK, first, my AC is working just fine! Those of you with problems have my deepest sympathy.

I finished all the blocks for the Seabreeze quilt and am now making some hourglass blocks for the border.

Also made 6 more tea wallets for the guild show boutique.

Teresa

• karpet
    11 years ago

Rita, Donna and Rosa - so sorry about your AC! I lived for 6 mo in Tallahassee and wondered how people lived in FL before AC. Especially back in the time of long skirts and petticoats - can you imagine?!

I've been doing some long-put-off chores in the house, and still need to finish up two things, but that means I can sew today w/o guilt! I'm working on FMQ some feathers for the first time. It is kind of fun, but I'm holding to one bit of info that I saw in a tutorial - that everyone's feathers will be different!

Oh, this is from way back about interchanging quilt with guilt. I think it came from a Daily Bread Devotional, but it has stuck with me. A seminary student received back a paper that the professor had graded and noticed a typo he had done so the sentence read "God has taken away your quilt." The professor had noted it, but made a comment on the side. "God may have taken away your quilt, but he has left you his comforter!"
    Karlene

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I shall try to remember that on the "down days".
    Theresa
    Oh and I didn't mean a down-filled comforter.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

LOL!!!!!! I can't tell you how many times I type guilt for quilt and have to correct it!!!

Blowing raspberries at Teresa for having working AC lol!!! please show us some pics of your tea wallets - I have started on a purse over a year ago and still haven't finished it.

Yep, we are having T-storms and 85% humidity, tomorrow is going to be the worse. We are about like Altamonte, Fl - far enough inland to miss the worse of the storm. We need the rain so much - but the farmers are still harvesting onions.

Sometimes in March we have winds that are stronger than I remember the tropical storms in FL.

Donna, I remember going to the movies and the mall everyday for a week when we had the hurricanes in a row lol!!!

I think being without AC is much easier than totally out of electric. If you have ever watched "Mayberry" you know what Glennville, GA is like lol. One friend moved here when his wife's fam needed help and he told DH it was like moving to a third world country lol!!!!

Karlene, I still know people that have, but do not use their AC. NOT ME!!!!!!
    Rosa

• polardream
    11 years ago

Fran, Congrats on selling your house! I hope you will be all settled soon so you can plan to come to Camp Cheerio!

I hope the rest of you all get your AC up and running! Here in Colorado, we had a nice Saturday - in the 80s, but it was chilly Sunday and pretty nice today - but we haven't needed AC yet. Actually, I think we only ran our AC about 7 days all summer last year. We do have a whole house attic fan that we run in the morning then shut the house up and we stay pretty cool all day. Guess we are really lucky!

Sue

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sue, when I was a kid we had an attic fan and it kept the house pretty cool, even in the heat of summer. Of course back then you didn't feel unsafe leaving your windows open. We had most of ours open in the daytime over the weekend but when it got dark we closed and locked them.

Donna