Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

I'll be MIA for a couple weeks...

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Dear quilting friends,

Over the past 4 years you've helped me get through some tough times, without even knowing it. The passing of my mother, my husbands 2 years of unemployment, the loss of my best friend to brain cancer and countless little things that brought me to this forum as a delightful escape from daily life. To be able to immerse myself in the joys of quilting with other people who felt the same... well, words can't describe that unless you've felt it but I know you all understand.

Tomorrow I go in for a total knee replacement and although I'm excited about getting it done and 'coming out the other side' I also know the next 3 weeks are going to be tough. I probably won't be able to get to my computer much and may not be chatting at all, but I'll continue to visit the forum to read your posts when I can.

I'm caught up on my birthday blocks and I'm sure I'll be back at the machine before the next one's due!

All I ask is that you all post LOTS so I have fun stuff to read when I stop by. We've fallen back into most of our posts being about birthday blocks so when you can please toss in some variety for the people not involved in the groups.

Hugs to all,

Kate

Comments (31)

• lola99
    12 years ago

GOOD LUCK (((((KATE))))

We will miss you and be thinking about you. You will be in my prayers for a quick recovery.

From a quilting perspective, there is no way I'll be done with my current project in the next 3 weeks (I'm shooting for the next 3 months!) so no pictures from me, but I'll be sure to chat about it to anyone who wants to listen. LOL

Take care and we will look forward to hearing from you when you are on your feet again - okay, bad joke.

Seriously, you will be missed.

Lola

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Okay, I'll try real hard to get a few things up to photo standards just for you. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

• petalpatsy
    12 years ago

Best of luck, Kate. I've strayed off to knitting land lately, but I'll be thinking of you.

• vacuumfreak
    12 years ago

Kate,

I've noticed that the forum seems to have slowed down a bit since the last time I checked it regularly as well. My best friend was hit by a car on his bike several years ago (before we met) and he'd always been a little overweight anyway, so he had knee replacement surgery on the right side... He said it has made a huge difference. Hope your recovery is as smooth as possible. I'm sure your husband will take good care of you. I know we're basically strangers, but if you need anything, I'm just in Clermont...

You can still sew even during recovery... just put the machine on one of those tables that goes over a bed and use the stop start button :o) Do you have plenty of quilting magazines to read?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, Hope your surgery goes well and recovery is quick! Work hard at the PT so you can get back here and do some tap dancing on the table. You can whine and wail about not being able to do what you want to do yet.....we will understand and commisserate with you. No quilt pictures from me as I won't be home for at least another month. You're in my prayers.

SharonG/FL-IN-MI

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Good luck Kate! I expect that I may be in for the same surgery in the foreseeable future, so I will need updates as to what to expect.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, I hope all goes well for you! Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I will miss you while you are recovering. Pop in and say hi - just so we know you are okay.
    I'll be thinking about you!!!
    Big hugs!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

Kate good luck. Do all therapy They gave me an ice machine and that sure helped. It wasn't long and I was @ my computer it bothered my knees some so my husband made me a box to elevate my feet. DO DO YOUR EXERCISES anytime you thing about it. Best for you.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

We'll miss you Kate!

Do all of the physical therapy - it makes a massive difference in the final outcome.

Good Luck!

Mary

• User
    12 years ago

Prayers for a speedy recovery. We'll miss you & hurry back!

Kay

• chickadee__3a
    12 years ago

As a veteran of 2 total knee replacements I can assure you it's well worth it. As a couple of others have mentioned be sure to do all your exercises and therapy to build up the muscles and get a good bend in the knee and straightening of your leg. All the best and keep us posted on your recovery.
    Carolyn

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Kate,
    As a former OR Orthopedic nurse I helped with more total knees then I care to remember, but I do remember how fortunate everyone of them felt about having had it done. My sister had both of hers done and can't be happier just being able to walk without pain. I can only hope I can add you to the list of successes as I am sure I will be able to do. Get back to us soon, you are one of the important pages in this story. Will keep you in my thoughts. Jayne

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

The very best of luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery! You will be missed while you need to take a break from the computer. Once you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing. Whatever support or cheer you get from the Quilting Forum, you give back twice as much to us.
    With a get well hug,
    Jeanne

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW! Thank you all for the well wishes! I'll be back soon :~))

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I hope all went well, I will be doing both knees someday, not looking forward to it but the pain is just unberable sometimes.
    I wish you a quick recovery.
    we'll miss you
    michelle

• karpet
    12 years ago

I hope your surgery goes very very well and that your recovery is better than expected!
    Karlene

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Wishing you the fastest recovery ever!!!!!! I'm having trouble with stairs so I know my day is coming.
    Rosa

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery...let us know, if you can or DH can, when your surgery is over and you get home...Gwen

• polardream
    12 years ago

Kate, I hope that you have a very speedy recovery! I will keep you in my prayers that things go well. I've been out of touch for a while - moms are visiting and I've taken my mom on a road trip so I've been gone & not sewing! Hardly getting to areas with wifi either! Will try to get back later this week & get stuff going.

Take care!
    Sue

• lola99
    12 years ago

How did it go Kate? I saw your post on another thread, so I assume you are feeling pretty good?

Lola

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I came home yesterday and have been mostly sleeping since. I feel better today than yesterday but its still kind of rough. I have my little netbook computer so I can follow the forum posts without getting up but my typing skills are not too good while I'm laying down so I'm not posting much yet.

I've been paging through the May/June Fons & Porter quilt magazine and drooling over every page! The little retro tablerunner quilt on the cover is adorable and one I'll have to make! I already have several retro fabrics with cherries so I think I can put together a black/white/red/green version. I can hardly wait!

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I know physical therapy is the most important part of my recovery and it's good to have that reinforced. It would be easy to put it off because it HURTS, but I know I can't. PT was supposed to start today but they can't make it until tomorrow, so I was a good little patient and had DH help me go through the exercises we learned at the hospital. I don't want even one day of delay.

Hugs to all!
    Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better today. Keep up the exercises, it will get better! When I went for therapy on my arm my therapist told me that if it doesn't hurt it isn't helping.
    DH will prolly have his knee done in the fall. He has been putting it off but it is really bothering him now. He wants to wait till fall because of the all the lawn care in the summer.
    Take care!
    Linda

• odessaquilts
    12 years ago

Hi Kate,

This is my first day being able to login to the GW, and just couldn't resist telling you to lie back down and rest when you can. Your body needs to build up its strength so you can power through those exercises! And don't slack off the exercises ... I might just have to call your local constabulary to insure you are behaving!!! lol

Seriously, I can't believe I missed your surgery day, but am so very happy that you're home and all seems to have gone well. I have been getting my stash more organized and am getting rolling on my daughter's graduation quilt (need to have the top done in a week or so for my longarmer to finish it in time for her party). Now that she's actually graduated, I have to get a move-on! Of course, I am still working on the robins ...

We'll chat real soon ... I have such news to tell you ... perhaps I can get a snail mail letter off to you tomorrow, if my schedule allows me the time to write.

Keep your chin up ... you'll be back on your knees in the garden soon enough.

Odessa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, I'm glad it went well and you are home. Keep up the good work!

Donna

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Glad to hear all went well! & it's good to have you back, even if it's a little now & then. :) We certainly understand that healing takes precedence.
    Sounds like you've got the right idea - leafing thro quilt magazines to inspire when you can't be quilting!

Take care!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Good for you for doing the exercises on your own. Do you have the ice machine? I hope you recover quickly.

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Glad to hear from you! Wishing a speedy recovery for you.
    Your dedication to the PT will pay off!

Gwen

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Glad you are doing so well Kate! My granddaughter just had surgery on her knee and she has some thingie that moves her knee up and down for her. She was in a lot of pain for about a week.
    Hnag in there.
    Rosa

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Just wondering about you, Kate! Hope all is going well with your progress!

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hope you're on the road to recovery and getting better every day.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville