Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

quilt pic and brrrr----- erg

day2day
15 years ago

This quilt is called "Amish Jewel Box"- pic was taken by the great Atlantic Ocean. This area is a less than a 5-minute drive from my home. Hope you enjoy.

~Geraldine

Comments (44)

• coalaska
    15 years ago

Wow! The quilt is beautiful, and the iceburg a surprise!
    tfs

• nana24
    15 years ago

Geraldine,
    Being a southern US gal (south Louisiana to be exact) it is hard to say which is more spectacular your quilt or the iecburg. I have only seen them in pictures. WOW to live where you see them in person must be awesome. Were you cold out there or is the warmth the reason for the iceburg floating by?
    Your quilt is beautiful. I love the colors. Looks like it is king size. I've never done anything that big.

TFS
    Sally

• barbara_in_pa
    15 years ago

Nice pattern, unlike any Amish pattern that I have ever seen in this area.
    Barbara

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

Both the view and the quilt are stunning!!!

Vicky~

• fran1523
    15 years ago

What an awesome picture and your quilt is lovely too. Great design.

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful and the ocean makes a great background for the quilt.
    Never even seen it snow, Southern Rosa.

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

Both are stunning. Do you live in like Labrador?

• carolek
    15 years ago

Lovely. The colors look like a perfect complement to the landscape, now and maybe even better in winter. How neat to live so close to the ocean.

• bopeep
    15 years ago

WOW !!! Both Are BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!
    bopeep

• easystitches
    15 years ago

Oh my Goodness! Stunning view & quilt!

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I am at a loose for words. Your quilt is beautiful, such a wonderful picture to share. Thank you for brightening my day with both. Jayne

• polardream
    15 years ago

Geraldine - WOW! I love the quilt ... picture is pretty but I am not a fan of cold weather! Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

• User
    15 years ago

Is that where you live or did you drag your quilt on vacation? That's some impressive sight. And the iceburg isn't too shabby, either.

Dianne

• day2day
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments.
    I goofed. The quilt name is just"Jewel Box". The pattern is from Quilt magazine's "Big Block Quilts", Summer 2000.(Jean Ann Eitel).

I live in Newfoundland, the island portion of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador.The iceberg is one of many grounded near the shoreline in many parts of the province.We get a lot of summer tourists. Many hike the shoreline hiking trail that runs along the east coast of the province. They enjoy watching for the seabirds, whales and bergs. The island behind the iceberg is a Wildlife Ecological Reserve for seabirds including the largest N. American colony of Atlantic Puffin and the world's largest colony of storm petrels.

~Geraldine

• gillian_41
    15 years ago

The quilt is very very pretty looks like a good way to use up scrap fabric, where did you find that pattern or did you design it??.
    Does the iceberg just float on by or melt?

Gillian.

• Nancy Morris
    15 years ago

Geraldine, Both are beautiful. What a wonderful place to live.
    Nancy

• day2day
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gillian, quilt is from "big Block Quilts, Summer, 2000".

The icebergs usually melt throughout the summer. The one in the pic has already lost some big pieces that are now drifting along the beach.
    ~Geraldine

• grammyp
    15 years ago

What a fabulous picture! Love the quilt and you have a good eye for composition too.

beverly

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Oh Wow! That is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing such a lovely quilt & a great ocean view, too! :O)

Melissa

• carolek
    15 years ago

I was wondering about the name. I couldn't put Amish and jewel box together. We had record heat here yesterday--99 degrees. I could see myself up there with you, watching ice bergs go by.

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

Geraldine, what a gorgeous quilt. I think I would want to wrap myself up in it while watching that iceberg though. I'm in New Brunswick and didn't realize there was someone here so close. I've only been to Nfld once, to my nephew's wedding, but it is a beautiful province and I hope to go back some day.

Faye

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Geraldine,

Very, very beautiful quilt! Awesome iceberg! Thanks for showing it!

Mary

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Lovely quilt! Lovely iceberg, too.

mary

• patti60
    15 years ago

both very nice. great of you to share with us.

• suellen_delawares
    15 years ago

WOW! That is a beautiful quilt and a wonderful place to take the picture. Suellen

• scootersgirl
    15 years ago

Lovely!!!!

• cathey6815
    14 years ago

Geraldine, I can't find your email address, would you please email me privately about a calander quilt you made. I would love to ask you some questions. It is beautiful. I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Great armchair travels for me. I get to see the cold without going myself. Great quilt and I love the colors.

• gerizone5
    14 years ago

Beautiful quilt and lovely scenery. I would love to see an iceberg. Thanks for sharing.

• agoldencomet
    14 years ago

Hi, Geraldine,

What a lovely quilt and view!! I am in Nova Scotia - and have visited your beautiful island a couple of times. However, I was not lucky enough to see an iceberg.

WTG!!

goldie

• salijo
    14 years ago

How incredible to have such an awesome complementary backdrop for your quilt pictures...a nice toasty quilt on a cold day!

Does it ever get warm there?
    Salijo

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Sensational!!!

I thought that looked like Jewel Box. I did a JB in plaids some years ago. I didn't do the sashing tho.

I've lived several times in Vancouver (which I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) but we've never been to the Maritimes. We talk about it all the time. One year we've just got to do it!

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Wow and Wow!

TFS
    Gwen

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Beautiful quilt! Makes me want to make that pattern, too. I was worried yet again about global warming until you said you were way up in Newfoundland.

Well done! Teresa

• love2sew
    14 years ago

Geraldine a really beautiful quilt. I am passionate about scrap quilts with a bit of control. Didn't know icebergs came that close to land. I have been to all parts of Canada except Newfoundland, not intentionally. Hopefully one day.
    Jean

• biwako_of_abi
    14 years ago

Beautiful quilt! The picture reminded me of my childhood visits to swim in the Atlantic Ocean off Massachusetts. No icebergs there! But the water was so cold you had to jump in quickly and it would practically stop your breath for a second. Strangely, after around 10 minutes, you would feel as warm as toast. I once had a chance to go swimming in Okinawa and found the bathwater warm water unpleasant. I guess that for me, summer swimming requires cold water. Thanks for the pic!

• day2day
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised to see this post near the top. It reminded me that, although I complain about the cold weather and the long winters, my beautiful province is the only place I'd want to live. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Cathey,will email you as soon as possible.

~Geraldine

• jck1210
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Beautiful quilt and beautiful background.

For those that may want that pattern and can't find the magazine,Eleanor Burns has a Jewelbox quilt book on the market.I have it,but have never made it.
    Kathi

• imrainey
    14 years ago

Here is the Jewel Box block "JewelBoxBlock"

And here it is in its traditional setting "Jewel Box Setting"

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

WOW! I am so glad I was finally able to download your pic.
    I love the ocean and I would so love to beable to able to drive 5 min. away to see what you do.
    Your quilt is lovily and with that backdrop near perfection. TFS Jayne

• mamabear4
    14 years ago

I would like to ask about the Amish Jewel Box. I made one using 2 1/2" squares but the ones you did appear to be a bit larger. Perhaps it is just the way the photo was made. I want to make one and use black sashing. Would you be able to tell me what size the squares were cut? Would 3" be too large? I plan to do strip piecing and don't want to start until I feel comfortable that I am not making it too large. I love the proportions of your quilt and the black set it off, perfectly. It is just so beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing with us. I saved the photo as one quilt I really must make.

June in Cincinnati

• caroline1947
    14 years ago

Wow wow and WOW!!!! Beautiful!!! Where can I find that pattern??

• mamabear4
    14 years ago

the links are listed just a few messages back.

You can also do a search for Jewel Box quilt and find several locations with directions.

June in Cincinnati

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH