Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wren_garden

Extention table for Vintage Singer 15-91?

wren_garden
9 years ago

Just purchased a 1955 Singer 15-91 to use for free motion quilting. It sits in it's carry case base on my work table. What have you done or seen used for an extension table? Can I purchase one of the universal ones? They appear as if they would not work with the case base the machine sits in. Just finished my first quilt and am ready for the next adventure. I am a retired professional sewer who is now going to have fun creating. I look forward to learning from you all.

Thanks
Elizabeth

Comments (3)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Hi Elizabeth and welcome to the forum! As a professional sewer I'm sure you have lots to share with us as well!

I have almost exactly that same Singer, inherited from my mother, but I have to admit it's not one of the machines I use very often. It should fit in any of the wooden sewing table cabinets that were so widely used in the mid-century. I see them in vintage shops pretty often; I'm always searching for one of the folding tables with the insert for a Singer Featherweight but haven't found one yet. But I think you're on the right track with the universal sewing table extensions. Those should be adjustable enough to fit nicely around your machine.

If you are adventurous, you could cut into an existing table and set the machine down in it. There are instructions for that process floating around the internet.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Welcome Elizabeth~now you get to sew for FUN!!!
    The company linked below is highly recommended by Bonnie Hunter, Quiltvilleblogspot in her Tips & Techniques section on her blog. If I recall, she was using one in a recent blog or QuiltCam on one of her many vintage or antique machines while still in the wooden case.
    I am going to order one soon, as I have too many machines and I want one adjustable table! And, I want a clear surface, as I am losing stuff under the solid color one that I got with my newest machine - and it slopes & I hate it!!
    I think this brand may be the answer, as it is adjustable all ways including the height.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Table

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, the tables from Sew Mate look great. I was just about to order one and thought I should wait till Friday when the machine arrives and I can measure the height from the work table to the needle plate, then I can decide if I will go with the simple inexpensive one or the deluxe $$$. lol. I can't wait to get started. I have watched a number of videos of free motion quilting and it looks so exciting. It will be a relief not to have to fight the turning of the bulk of a quilt to and fro in a regular machine set up.