Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

My DH's new quilt top

loisflan
9 years ago

Here is my latest quilt top. I made it as a napping quilt for my DH. It's 71x86. I'm on the way to my LQS for some Minky backing. Making this quilt was quite a stretch for me. There were some pretty active prints and colors that weren't exactly what I would have chosen, but I was determined to use mostly pieces that I had bought for another quilt and decided against. It's quite busy, but it feels coherent to me, and I have to say that I like it. Mike really likes it too, and that's what counts. The pattern is Block Buster by Karie Patch Designs. You construct the block, cut it in quarters and then insert the background color in the cuts. It works well with fat quarters too.

Comments (16)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, Lois, I like it a lot! I think it's very cohesive. The prints add interest and movement.

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Really, really good! I like the pattern and your fabrics. As someone said on another post today, we see these neat ideas and get carried away. I immediately started to think which fabrics in my stash would work in this pattern. Thanks for the idea.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Lois! I like it! It works perfectly well and your placement of darks, lights, moderate prints and bold prints is wonderful. You've got a great eye. I'm sure he'll love it!

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

I love it. It's masculine and interesting. Yet another one to put on "the list"!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I think it turned out really good. Like your use of guy colors.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

I love it! I bought a Layer Cake of similar colors & bold prints, and one of the designs I am considering is very much like your pattern - I like yours better! Your hubby is going to love it after it is finished!
    I agree--you have a great eye for color placement and flair for modern.
    (Glad you got your boat launched without mishap -- always a "hold your breath moment" on the first splash. :~)

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

OMG - that is wonderful. I just love that pattern and your colors. I must put that one high up on the list.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Lois,
    What a fabulous quilt! I think the fabric is perfect for this design...very nicely done! I'm bookmarking that design, just love it!
    V.

• grammyp
    9 years ago

What a great masculine quilt. Better watch out he may be napping a lot more now.

beverly

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

It is a wonderful quilt. Like everything about it. Reminds me of the plaid used in sweaters that men used to wear. Just perfect for a mans quilt. Nice pattern and creation. TFS\

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

I love it!

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Wonderful quilt! Great design and colors! I think this would work in a number of colorways.

Good job!
    Teresa

• calliope
    9 years ago

Oh so nice. Beautiful use of fabrics.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Lois,
    I think I will be repeating what everyone else has said - I LOVE IT! The colors, the pattern, everything! I, too, am adding this to my list of want to dos!
    Sue

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

Your fabrics are perfect for this pattern. I love it!
    Linda OH

• loisflan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the support. It's so great to have a group of friends who share my passion.

I was able to find a soft grey Minky that looks wonderful with the quilt top and I pieced the binding from leftover scraps of the blocks. Unfortunately, my quilting friend Jill who does all my long-arm work fell and tore her rotator cuff and requires surgery. She will be out of commission for several months. I guess DH will have to wait for his completed quilt. Oh, well, the cold weather is six months away, I hope.