Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cricut Expression

Posted by geezerfolks (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 11:07

I am in deep trouble! Have been setting up travel plans and plan to be spending some time with my sister in MN next month. Then she emails me and says she has a Cricut Expression she has never used! She won't be able to say that by the time I leave! LOLOLOL Anyone have this and any suggestions?

I plan to start a thread on the Conversations side of the forum so anyone that might be in the area of wherever I am during the 3 months I'm traveling, give a shout and we'll see if we can't meet up, even if it's just for coffee.

SharonG/FL (soon to be IN, MN, MI)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cricut Expression

Sharon, I'm sure you'll have fun with it! I don't have one but here's a link to a video about using the Cricut to cut fabric; it may help get you started.

What I read said fabric dulls the cutting blade and suggested you have a spare blade on hand. I don't see how fabric would dull it worse than paper would though!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Cricut Fabric

o

Thank you, Kate. My sister said it'll make pieces up to 11.5" so I'm thinking of making a few butterflies, flowers and other designs she might have to keep on hand for those quilts that need a little zing.

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon, using my Cricut has been one thing I have been trying to perfect. A few things that I have learned: Cut at a slow speed with a deep blade. Pressure should be set at about 5 and your blade should be at 6. I tried cutting the fabric with just my stabilizer pressed the back of the fabric and ran into problems. Recently took a lecture on using the cricut for applique and learned that if you press a shet of freezer paper to the right side of the fabric and have your stablizer on the back of the fabric it works much better. Went home and tried it and it worked PERFECT!

o

Lynn, Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to keep your tip and also send it to my sister. That's awesome!

SharonG/FL

o

OK, Lynn. We did it your way and no problems!! Thank you. This was the first time for my sister to use it to cut fabric. I think she did awesome! The picture is a bit fuzzy as it was taken with my cell phone and the butterflies and flowers are just laying on the quilt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here