Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminated Cotton Fabric

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 11:04

On the "pleated purse" thread some of you were asking about laminated fabric. I bought mine from fabric.com although now that I know about it I've seen it at some of the local quilt shops too. It's very easy to sew on, although it requires some pinning because it can be slippery. I tried "oil cloth" too and found it to be almost identical to use although I believe it's made by a different method.

Here's the descriptive blurb from the fabric.com site:
These laminated fabrics have a soft, protective film laminated to the face of the cotton fabric. It's softness makes this cloth extremely pliable for fashion, the durability combined with easy-care convenience (cleans up easily with a damp cloth) can be brought to your table with great style. Perfect for raincoats and hats, shower curtains, diaper and tote bags, tablecloths and placemats too!

You can find LOTS of laminated fabrics here: Laminated Cottons. They have patterns too. I originally bought some to make a backpack but haven't done that (yet). I used it to make a huge tote bag and part of my new purse.

If you try it, post pictures! I would love to see what others do with it.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminated Cotton Fabric

Thanks for the info, Kate. I just ordered a lunch bag pattern and I suspect laminated fabric would be a great thing to use for that. Plus it means I can go shopping! LOL

Donna

o

How does it sew? Do you have to use longer stitches like you would with oil cloth? Can it be thrown in a washer?

o

Thanks, Kate.
That link is very informative. And so many lovely fabrics to choose from. I'm going to keep that fabric in mind for my next purse project.

Julie

o

It sews great and I haven't noticed any hesitation in my machine. I use a 90/14 needle. When I think about it I lengthen the stitch length to 2.6 but typically forget to do that without any bad effect.

Washing... mmmm.... I don't know! I haven't washed my tote bag; just wiped it off. The attached Tips sheet says not to wash or dry it. Good information there and I'm glad you asked because I hadn't looked for the information before!

Here is a link that might be useful: Laminated Fabric Care Tips

o

I saw some laminated fabric at Joanns today. I actually left without buying anything! Good thing - because I couldn't resist buying the fabric I found at Tuesday Morning on my next stop.

o

Fabric at Tuesday Morning, who knew?

o
more: Laminated Cotton Fabric

Another suggestion for using laminated fabric: iPad, Nook, Kindle covers. A co-worker just suggested it because she says she's always wiping cream cheese off her Kindle after she eats breakfast at Panera! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here