Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Stonehenge Fabric - me too!

K8Orlando
10 years ago

Pirate Girl recently posted "Look what you made me do" and now I'm saying it too! Bloom's beautiful Labyrinth quilt reminded me how much I want to do one, so that sent me looking for fabric and I rediscovered how much I love the Stonehenge fabrics. I remember when they first came out, in real earthy/stony shades, but now they are available in a huge range of colors! I found lots at thousandsofbolts.com, including some 108" for backing. I'm in fabric heaven!

I haven't started on the labyrinth yet but I did order enough of the 108" wide to use as backing for the quilt top I just finished. I can hardly wait to get it!

I've admired these fabrics for years but this is the first I've purchased them. I'm expecting it to be good quality and a delight to sew on. The Northcott website (they make Stonehenge) has lots of great patterns... this could be the start of a new addiction.

Look what you made me do!
Kate

Comments (14)

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Ohhh! I love those too!! I've ordered my pattern for the Labyrinth quilt. I hope to get the fabric this weekend. Since I'm buying colors for someone else, I don't get to use the pretty Stonehenge fabrics :-( Maybe the next quilt I get to do???

Have fun!!
    Robbi

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

One of my favorite fabric stores had a beautiful quilt on display for months, that when I first noticed it,I thought it was all in batiks. However the owner corrected me ... All stonehenge fabric...it makes a fabulous looking quilt!
    Good choice for a new addiction!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

No need to 'double-dare' anyone on this forum. We go for it with the slightest nudge. lol

Stonehenge looks to be very similar to Batiks. Does it feel the same?

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sharon,

No, it's 'regular' quilters cotton. Seems like very nice quality; I've never sewn on it but I have felt it up a few times. Last year at the Lancaster quilt show there was a vendor that must have had every color available - all on display in his booth. I wanted a yard of each color! And the quilts he had on display were all gorgeous too. This stuff is stunning when used as blenders with other prints. When only Stonehenge fabrics are used, it has the look of classic marble tile floors and lends itself to those kinds of designs really well.

I'm not giving up batiks though! I still have some Tonga jelly rolls and layer cakes I found on sale last year. I think I'll do a labyrinth with those first before I get too involved with Stonehenge.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Kate. I'm looking forward to 'feeling up' some Stonehenge myself. I'll check it out the next time I'm at the LQS. The quilts must be gorgeous!

SharonG/FL
    (so, did you buy a yard of each one?)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I didn't buy ANY. And I've regretted it ever since.

• day2day
    10 years ago

I love Stonehenge fabrics. Here in this area, they are very expensive.

I am off to look at the "thousands of bolts" website to check out their fabrics.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I fell in love with Stonehenge when I was in Hilton Head in 2008. I bought about 5 or 6 yards (?) of one color because I liked it so much -- it is one of those -- save it for something very special -- I pull it out all the time and pet it. I have always found Stonehenge to be very expensive also. It has a smooth, beautiful feel to it - it is not just any quilting cotton -- it sews like butter --- I wish I could have every single color and style! I love Stonehenge.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no! We better not go fabric shopping together. I can see lots of enablement going on!

Speaking of cost: they're expensive here too. I'm eager to get my order from TOB because I'm not sure the quality is going to be the same. You know how sometimes the fabrics you get on-line just don't seem to be what you expect? It doesn't happen often but these were so much less expensive that I'm a little suspicious. I ordered 2 of the 108" wide colors and 1 of the 44" wide ones. I'll let you know how it works out!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I am anxious to hear if it is the same quality. I've read good things about TOB's, but I have never ordered from them. I looked their prices on the SH and they aren't sooooo low that you would question if they are the same quality-hopefully they are! I know what you mean about being disappointed in buying fabric online.
    My good purchases outweigh my bad - but the bad have been expensive mistakes it seems. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Received my fabric today: it's really nice! I couldn't be any more pleased with the quality and the colors. Yum! I'm so glad I bought as much as I did.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate.
    Now I have to see if shipping/delivery costs to Canada will make my purchase worthwhile.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Kate, glad you got your Stonehenge and that you are happy with it! Now where's the quilt? LOL

Speaking of online fabric purchases...a friend on another forum said she liked Whittle's Fabrics in Kentucky. I ordered backing for my sister's quilt from them - it's Aubrielle by Marianne Elizabeth (made by RJR). Whittle's price was $5,00 per yard (!) and they only charge $5 for shipping! I got the fabric in about 3 days and it is gorgeous! It is sooooo smooth and feels so nice, and needed very little ironing after prewashing. Definitely top quality fabric!

Not affiliated with them, just wanted to share. I haven't bought much fabric online but would definitely buy from them again!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yeah right. I'll just get that queen size thing quilted this afternoon. Not a problem. LOL

I'm hoping my friend with the new long arm lets me use this t-shirt quilt as my first trial of her machine. But if she is already working on something then I'll have to tackle it on the Juki. It's pretty big and heavy for a desktop machine though so I'm thinking it's perfect for the longarm!

Which brings me to another question but I'll post that one separately.

Kate

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor