Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilter_robbi

Quilts from my dd field trip...

Robbi D.
10 years ago

I went with my daughter on her field trip yesterday to the Museum of Appalachia. It is one of those things that you never visit and live so close to! Anyhow, there were some of the most beautiful quilts on display. Most from the late 1800's and all hand stitched with a history of each one. Here are some pictures:

This is called the Christmas quilt because the owner would only put it on her bed during the Christmas holiday:

Here is a close up of The Lord's Prayer:

This one is so pretty:

A close up of the quilting:

This one is of (at the time), 48 states:

The stitchwork on the letters of the states is amazing. I don't think this picture does it justice:

This is just some embroidery, but again, great stitching and i loved the saying:

Great museum if you get to East Tennessee to visit it!

Robbi

Comments (7)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

There are some awesome and fun stitching in the Christmas Quilt. I keep finding more things. It looks like they might have put every family member's initials on it?? And a gun? I can see why it was only put out at Christmas, that was a lot of work! Amazing quilts from the 1800's.......I still like my machine though. *VBG*

Thanks for sharing, Robbi.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Can't help but wonder about the women who assembled all of those by hand...amazing!!!
    thanks for sharing with us..
    V.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures! I chuckled to see that little girl reaching out to touch the quilt--the quilt police would frown but it does me good.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I love the quilts! Thanks for posting pics! I like the stitching in the first quilt and in the 3rd quilt is cool to see that they were making Granny Square quilt blocks back then, wonder what the pattern was called back then.? They are a treasure to see, thanks for sharing.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

One of the neatest things I ever did when I was big into genealogy was answer a question on our county's historical website to an inquiry from a woman seeking information on one of her direct ancestors, giving her information she may never have gleaned in any other way but by an antique quilt passed down through her family. It was a signature quilt, and all the signatures on it were legible and she knew it was somewhere in or near our county. She wanted to know where and when so she could place their location for her research.

I recognized my third great grandfather's sister's signature on one of the blocks. I then did a quick search on the other signatures and verified what I thought that quilt was and it was a habit for women of a church to make a signature quilt and give it to a departing member. I knew when my ancestor's sister lived there (narrow time frame) so was able to date the age of the quilt, what church her ancestor belonged to and when they left that village on their way west. Priceless. BTW it would have been circa 1840s.

• Robbi D.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope, that is very cool!!! I have an aunt that is doing a lot of genealogy work right now. It is amazing that things she is finding and the way she finds them. Truly amazing!!

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Beautiful quilts! I love the second one with the stars.

Calliope - great story!