Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Big Quilt Blocks

I've been watching Sandra make her Granny Squares and they remind me of when I used to crochet and of a time in my life when the kids were little and I invited ladies over and had a weekly crochet class. Now, I quilt but it seems the Granny Squares are still calling me. I found this No-Waste Granny Square tutorial (apologies if it's been posted before) that starts with 5" squares. I'm not fond of the fabric used in the tutorial as I'd prefer them to be as original as possible....as in a different color per round.....maybe even using the same fabric for a round. I made one this morning....went very quickly and it ended up 19" square. There are so many possibilities with this. Eventually, I'd love to make 6 of these for a quilt as the one I made I plan to use as a FM practice piece.

Do you like to use large quilt blocks? I think I'm beginning to. :-)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: No Waste Granny Square Tutorial

Comments (6)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I'll use any size that gives me the block I want. I am working on an Irish chain that turns into a 13-1/2" finished. I didn't use a pattern. I just cut my strips and sewed my 9-patches together and that is what it turned out to be. Who cares. The bigger the better. More quilt for the same effort, right?

• polardream
    10 years ago

I haven't seen that tutorial before, Sharon, but like it. I agree, bigger is often better! I just pieced a stack and slash that starts with 9 fat quarters. The finished block size is 16 x 18 - 1/2! I pieced the 9 blocks and squared them in less than 2 hours.

Thanks for sharing!
    Sue

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

My Mom made my brother a quilt from his favorite T-shirts from when he was a kid. Those squares were about 15", with various shades of (also large) blue, brown, and black blocks between them. It's really cool.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon thanks for the Granny Square tutorial link. I also have crocheted granny square blocks in the past and I think that is why I like the Granny Square quilt blocks so much. Attaching a pic of my most recent crocheted granny square afgan which fully covers a queen size bed. The largest blocks I have made so far are 8.5 inches, 9 inches and 12.5 inches. One day I would like to venture out and make larger blocks, but for now my comfort zones seem to be in blocks that have pieces small enough that I could draw and copy them on 8.5 x 11 inch paper and then on the copies I draw out the seam allowance edges. Granted I have made from scratch a Scattered Leaves block pattern earlier this year that I saw a picture of in an advertisement of AP&Q and some of it's pieces did not fit on my letter size paper, but luckily those were the rectangular pieces that comprise the log cabin part of the block which were easy to draw - I made paper and plastic templates for this block and have gotten the fabric for the quilt, but just have not squeezed time in yet to actually make a cloth block. I am hoping later in the year to start this quilt and it's gonna' be scrappy, tasteful, but scrappy.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh pish............you all did it again. Now there is another quilt I have to do.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You gave me a good chuckle this morning, Calliope! One of our reasons for sharing is to enable! LOL

Sandra, I prefer 'controlled' scrappy, too. You did good on your crocheted quilt. You are quite the crafty person. *smile*

purpleinopp, Would like to see the t-shirt quilt....do you have a picture?

Sue, I saw your quilt and really liked it. We are starting to think outside the box now and playing with fabric that make odd sized blocks, rather than square, for our quilts....and I like that!

TG/Linda, I'm with you.....who cares! It is what it is.

Carry on, ladies, and do whatever feels/looks good to you!

SharonG/FL