Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

It's bright alright

littlehelen_gw
10 years ago

I decided I'd use up some scraps and make a baby quilt for my hairdresser. She's expecting her 4th after a 11 year break in having children, needless to say, she no longer has baby stuff around. Anyway, I've gone from thinking it would be cute, to oh know what have I done, to yee-gads...I can't give this to her...what will she do to my hair! Now that the top is finished..well I'm thinking it might be ok for the playpen. Thought I'd do an all over stipple for the quilting in white thread...nothing fancy,

I've never had children and never had them around much, so doing baby quilts is an adventure for me....love to hear opinions...is this ok or a tad over the colorful top?

V.

Comments (21)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

V, I also don't have children but like making gifts for friends who do. :)

I LOVE this quilt! I think it's adorable. I think your hairdresser will love it, too. She will be touched that you took the time to make something with her in mind.

You could always use a nice, "calm" print for the backing. LOL

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Well, I've had children, grandchildren and greatgrands and I say this quilt is perfect! I've made a lot of 'bright' baby quilts, and like Donna said, you could put a softer looking backing on it if you are so inclined. Good job, V.

I have linked the brightest one.....I was really scared about this one, but everyone loved it.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I think it is perfect!!!
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I think it is over-the-top CUTE!!!! I like bright and cheery. It is perfect for a play quilt on the floor and a baby learning to crawl & schooching around touching and all the stars and circles. I would stay with the bright for the backing - I would love the bright multi color circles you used for the background if you have enough-it would actually tone down the visual impact by not introducing another fabric. You should try loops and hearts - lots of them for the quilting. I love it! She should be thrilled with the quilt.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

It's perfect! It's sure to please the mom and spark the baby's creative brain. Cute, cute, cute!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous, love the stars!!! She will too - but most importantly, the baby will love it.

I have made so many for my large family I think I should be an expert lol!!!

Babies love bright colorful quilts, so I wonder why we always put them in soft pastels when I was growing up?!
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you one and all...I think I'll go w/ a calmer background since I have that in my stash..that coupled with one left over star will make up the back. (only 3"x2" dot fabric remaining)

Sharon...thanks for sharing your bright-cute...now I don't feel so hesitant!

Now if I show up at the retreat with multi-color hair sticking out in every direction...you'll know mom wasn't happy... ;-)
    V.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I think it is great! Babies like bright colors as their eyesight is great early on. I think your hairdresser will be thrilled to have it and pleased at your thoughtfulness. TFS

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Anyone would be thrilled to get a homemade quilt. And yours is beautiful and very cheery. It's a winner!

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

Very pretty - and not nearly as loud as I make my baby quilts, LOL!

She'll be thrilled, and the baby will love it.

• calliope
    10 years ago

It is not loud.......just perky pastels and it's perfect. Too many people make the soft/nursery print quilts for little ones. This one shall stand out and be special.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

"...Now if I show up at the retreat with multi-color hair sticking out in every direction...you'll know mom wasn't happy... ;-) "

It would be worth the trip to the Retreat to see that!

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I think it's a perfect baby quilt, too.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

I think it's adorable and a really cute pattern, not at all too bright. Don't worry about your hair.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I think it's charming, happy and fun. Mom and baby will both love it!
    LindaB/CA

• new2quilting
    10 years ago

I love bright, and it's very sweet for a very sweet girl-to-be. Here's one of my brighter ones.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Really like the Twister! I see now how a Twister can also be an I Spy! TFS

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    10 years ago

I think it looks great. Your friend and the baby will love it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

No where near over the top! Perfect and she will love it (and so do I)!!

Robbi

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think it's fine and beautiful. The fabric used in the border and strips with all the little circles will help give the baby's eyes something to focus on so will be helpful for the baby having contrast in colors in the fabrics. Job well done! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, your comments have me excited to sandwich and quilt!

That twister is cute as well, good idea from Sharon to use a twister as an I spy... I would not have thought of that one!
    V.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm