Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

The result...

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

The block with the orange border...

Turned into this potholder....(front/back views)

It will work just fine as a potholder. I took 3 other orphan blocks and did the same thing. I now will no longer burn my fingers with the little woven loop ones that DD made me!

[And the 2 1/2" crash test dummy blocks are still in the trash!]

Comments (7)

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Ooh, I love it! Did you just fold it up and stuff it?

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's a quilt as you go method that I taught back in March.

Not something I'd like to use for a quilt, but it works great for a potholder!!

I looked for the post back in March (?) where I think I explained it, but couldn't find it. The method doesn't require stuffing. You basting batting in place, then sew and flip right-side out.

If you want specific instructions, let me know. We can have a short tutorial. It only takes about 15 minutes to sew it up.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I like it!! I woukd like to see the tutorial, I had it bookmarked and now have a new computer and can't find it either!!
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Congratulations on making "lemonade from the lemons"lol. Very nice and useful way to go.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Step 1: Create a block. Through happenstance (read: students not following instructions), this can be done with any block, any size. You can get some fun outcomes!

Step 2: With block face down (straight), place a square of batting (I used 2 layers for potholders) with points on each seam line (on-point). Baste around all four sides of batting with a long stitch (It will be removed later).

Step 3: Fold block in half right sides together to form a rectangle, stitch both short sides with 1/4" seams. Press seams open as far as possible.

Step 4: Match the two side seams that you just stitched to meet in the center of the long edge. Pin. Stitch the long edge, leaving about a 3" opening so you can turn right side out. At this point you should be able to 'see' the square block with the batting showing on the outside.

Step 5: Turn the block right side out and press. This is your 'block'. Remove the basting stitches.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jennifer - I will try that!

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Now isn't that the cutest thing! Gonna have to try it with some of my left over blocks.

beverly

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County