Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO 2014 - June

K8Orlando
9 years ago

Welcome to the LOTTO!
(NO, it's not about the money, just the colors!)

The lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. It's good practice and the winner will appreciate your efforts! Typically, the winner receives enough blocks to complete a nice size quilt. It could be YOU!

Our inspiration for this month is MINERAL in the subtle tones of GRAY AND BEIGE. Think of the precious metal shades of gold, bronze, silver, pewter and copper - like a handful of coins. Quite a change from last month's vibrant colors, right? Time to chill it down for the hot summer months.

This is our inspiration picture for the June Lotto:

The block pattern we'll use can be found on Quilters Cache. The name of the block is PIECED BOX BLOCK (Click on the name to link directly to the pattern.)

This block may look more complicated than some we've done but it really is simply diagonals. Give it a try! Please note that the block is made using three different fabrics. I'll show you a couple samples in the following post.

Here are the details:
- Each month there will be a designated block or theme; you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
- All blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation.
- Please include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
- If possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block. This is not a requirement, just a request.
- All blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing, unless you request that your name not be entered. Some months you might want to participate, but don't really want to win the blocks. That's OK.
- You have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Mail your block(s) to Valarie [littlehelen]. She will manage the collection of blocks and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Kate

Comments (24)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some sample blocks for PIECED BOX BLOCK in mineral colors already completed. The month hasn't started and we already have several blocks for the Lotto!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

V.....I sent a block.....please don't put my name in the drawing. Thanks.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Sharon, I received your block...thanks so much. I will have your May winning blocks in the mail on Saturday.

I love this June block...I really like the secondary pattern created when two of these are side by side. It should make for an interesting overall effect in these mineral colors! Yeah...I know the instructions read a bit more complex than we normally do, but it will be worth it for one lucky winner!
    Happy sewing!
    V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Pretty excited! My sister, Patty, is here...we cut out fabric today for 8 blocks...four for her; four for me...we will share three each, keep one each for our 'sampler quilt'. How lucky can a girl be to have her sister quilting with her...???? Patty is so talented...teaches me so much! Hoping to learn how to do paper piecing this weekend!!! WoooHooooooo.....

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth, you'll love the birdhouse paper piece pattern! It's a good one to start with and there are so many good fabric choices!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Beth...you are fortunate to have your sister there to play with...what fun!
    K8's right about the paper piecing, the bird houses are super easy...I will finish mine today and post.
    I look forward to seeing your june blocks!.
    V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

my three for June!! Yes...it was great to have Patty here to play....between us, we did 16 blocks in a couple of days. We each kept two and I'll be mailing the package with three from each of us for the regular June lotto, and three each of the paper piece lotto. So much fun!! (I somewhere have a picture of all of our blocks together, but I can't find it!!!!)

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Your blocks are dramatic...like that color combo!
    V.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Here's my block. In the mail soon, Val. I found this one kind of tricky. My points aren't as good as I'd hoped.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

All, I'll take the credit / heat on this block. Yes, it is a little tricker than others, but I thought the design in the finished product is way cool! ( ok ... Way cool is a bit dated of an expression, but so am I ;-)
    V.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Val, the design is way cool. I was wondering if some of the pieces were a little oversized. I trimmed down the last square, I think to 9", before I added the final corners, and that seemed to help quite a bit. Maybe the instructions should have just given trimming instructions during the construction process. Or maybe my scant 1/4" seams are a little too scant. The blocks will make a great quilt, and I learned during the process. That's what it's all about! Thanks for all the time and energy you and Kate contribute to our forum.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Val picked the block and I picked the colors - we'll share the blame on this one. I think it's way cool too and has great potential, but we've haven't had much participation this month. Maybe it's the block or the colors or maybe it's the time of year. I know many of us are busy with gardens, vacations and kids out of school.

But... there's still time to participate if you want to! We have some cool blocks already and just a few more, with a couple borders, would make a wonderful quilt or wallhanging.

Kate

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Yep...Val is way cool ! ...so's Kate, too! I can't imagine how either fit all this into the schedules they keep, but I'm SURE glad they do. THANK YOU, ladies! Strangely, I found this block to be fairly easy...but maybe I did it wrong, too!!!! Hahahhaa...no telling. But I'd encourage more participation, too...with these colors, it'd be an awesome lap robe, too...say for a Vet or someone in a nursing home. I love it...very rich looking, imho. Probably one of my favorite blocks since I started doing the lotto...

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Lois ... Love the fabric you used...the block looks great!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Well for all my lotto fretting on the June block...,it's going to be a very cool quilt. My DH saw these laying out and said..".oohh...now these I like." (He's not always expressive when it comes to quilting blocks...other stuff ..I could go on...;-) )
    Winner to be announced Monday night...!!!

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

wow!! that's going to be NICE! It's so rich looking. Yup..will make a great piece.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

End of June is sneaking up on my rapidly! I'll get the July Lotto posting up soon!
    If you want to check it out before I get it posted, remember you can see all of them at the At-A-Glance post. Link is below.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 LOTTO At-A-Glance

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Who is on line and ready to select a random number between 1 and 8?

• nannykins
    9 years ago

And for this block, I pick 8. Good Luck!
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Patti H. is the winner for our June Lotto! Congratulations Patti! These will make an awesome and interesting quilt top...can't wait to see what you do with them!

V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congrats Patti !

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Wow!!! Congrats, Patty!!! You'll do something nice with those beauties!!!

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Good for you, Patti. I don't know about anyone else, but those blocks make me hungry. They look like caramel.

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Congrats! They're a beautiful assortment.