Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Finished top in one weekend!

bev2009
10 years ago

I can't believe I cut and pieced a baby blanket for a great-niece or nephew this weekend. There was a typo in the directions. I should have trusted myself because I was thinking I didn't see how this would work, but I kept going instead of stopping. I had just enough fabric to re-cut the correct sizes. The baby's room is going to be navy and yellow. Would you add a border? I would be open to suggestions how to quilt it, too.

I also found the perfect sedum (for you gardeners) for a planter I have been wanting to make for a couple of years. I didn't realize the planter really needed to be spray painted, so for this year it will have a rustic look. LOL

I had a really good weekend!

Comments (17)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Love the colors. Looks like a D-9 patch? I'm trying to see what the original 9 patch looked like. Turned out cute.

I think I'd add a border, a strip of the dark blue and use a yellow binding. Just my 2 cents.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very cute! I would add a border or two, also. Maybe narrow navy and a wider one of the cloud print, if you have it. I would do an all-over quilting design...loose loops with random stars.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Great choices for the colors, Bev! I have to lay the fabric next to the quilt to see what will work best for borders. That usually tells me right away what's right and what isn't. Sometimes, I off handedly throw something down there and that's what works.....the unexpected makes it pop. But this quilt already pops! Good job! I think Donna's suggestion for quilting will work very well, too.

I like rustic...weathered wood, tin roof, tire planters, rustic planters..... :-)

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    10 years ago

What a nice baby quilt! I like the colors.
    I am always on the lookout for baby-quilt patterns.
    It does look like the D9P but there seems to be something different about it.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• lola99
    10 years ago

Very nice job. I'm impressed that you did all of that in one weekend, especially having to recut some fabric. (I think I sewed for 30 minutes this weekend!)

My vote is for the dark blue border, but it looks good without a border too.

I always lean towards FMQ - perhaps something like stars in the light blue moon fabric, pebbles in the yellow fabric, and back and forth in the dark blue...just thinking out loud. :)

• lola99
    10 years ago

I couldn't help doodling my thought out. (Obviously, not pink thread, I just used that so it would show up.)

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Cute fabric!! It will go nicely in the nursery. I like Lola's quilting ideas, too.

Robbi

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I vote for the navy border too. I would never be able to cut and sew that in a weekend, I'm slow.

Love the planter too, I think it looks great as it is. What is the name of the plant in it??
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I love the quilt you made! I think it looks fine as it is, but if you were to add a border maybe do it in navy to make the yellow pop more. It's a beautiful quilt though just as it is.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Sounds like you have plenty more to decide. My first thought was moons in some areas, stars in other, but I really like the idea of all over stars and loopy. Really like the quilt and colors too.

Love the planter too. I've been holding onto a pattern that puts succulents in a wall frame, but getting to it gets pushed far out into the future!

LindaB/CA

• bev2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pattern is not a D9P, but is strips of fabric sewn in pairs and then cut. However, if you decide on making this watch our for step #6. It says, "Square up one end of the strip set. Cut as many 2-1/2" wide segments from it as possible. Make additional strip sets and cut a total of (30) 4-1/2" segments."

Well, I was very carefully following directions one step at a time and saw cut as many 2-1/2" wide segments as possible. This is incorrect. The next sentence is correct, you want 4-1/2" segments. I hadn't planned on a border, so I didn't have additional fabric. I went back today, but they are out of the dark blue. I got a lighter blue that I think will work nicely and I believe I have enough of the yellow to bind. I have a different yellow flannel for the backing. I like the quilting ideas. I definitely haven't perfected my FMQ skills yet, but fortunately it is for a baby who won't know the difference.

One of the reasons it sewed up so fast was because the lady at my LGS recommended a fabric spray. After I washed the fabrics, I sprayed and ironed them. It was like starch and the fabric laid so nicely when sewing.

However, no sewing until the weekend. Wouldn't it be lovely if I could finish it in one weekend, too?

The plant did not come with a tag and I didn't think to ask. I'll run back Saturday and hopefully she'll be back at the market. I know it is not a perennial in in my zone 6, but she said it can come inside to overwinter. The blueish sedum will also have to come inside.

Thanks for all your kind comments! I'll post again when it is complete.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hopscotch Baby quilt

• polardream
    10 years ago

Bev, It turned out really cute! I will be anxious to see the finished quilt! Congrats on finishing so much in one weekend.

Sue

• bev2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All done, just in time for the shower on Sunday. I put a big star in each light blue square and did a curvy line with loopdiloops in the yellow pieces and border. I used the pieces that were incorrectly cut to make the pattern in the border. I am really happy with how it came out. I'm glad to see my skills are improving as I keep practicing.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi all,

First, great job on the quilt so cheery & bright. I think the borders you ended up choosing are perfect; excellent job!

In addition to posting here, I'm also a regular poster at the the Cactus & Succulent Forum. I believe the plant w/the reddish leaf edges is Kalanchoe thyrsiflora (aka Paddle Plant), a succulent. Handsome arrangement, very nice!

• JanT56
    10 years ago

Gosh, I love that! You did a great job! I made a couple of baby quilt tops myself, not sure how I will quilt them.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, ladies. I won't suggest how to quilt them, Jan, because I am not that experienced, but they are very cute.

Pirate-girl, thanks for the name of the plant. It is midnight, but I quickly googled it and read that it shouldn't be outdoors if temps drop below 50. It has been about 45 degrees all day, so I just brought it in. I hope I don't lose it!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

All three look really fun! Great work ladies.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022