Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20014168

qotd 5/2/11

User
12 years ago

What is your favorite on-line site (other than Quilter's Cache) for free patterns?

Here are two: Quilt Pro, which sends me a pattern every day, alternating between pieced and paper-pieced (see link at the end of the message).

And for applique:

www.fatcatpatterns.com/default.html

Fat Cat also has a yahoo group forum called the Scratching Post that is very active. I'm not totally into this style of applique, but other interesting topics come up for discussion, and people are frequently posting links to interesting quilty sites. And I have found the patterns useful for gifts. Also, there are a few outstanding BOM's on this site.

So, where to you find free patterns?

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilt Pro

Comments (14)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Should say 5/3! Where is this week going already?????

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

What does BOM's stand for?

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sandra, BOM is Block of the Month.

I did one of Fat Cat's a few years ago called Baltimore Blues.

Most of the fabric manufacturers have lots of free patterns on their websites. I check them out from time to time. But I think my favorite is Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Thank you msmeow. Here is a site I like to use some times:
    About.Com. Quilting :http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/u/quilt_patterns.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: About.Com. Quilting

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I seldom go looking for patterns as the Quilters Cache has so much to offer but do get input from About Com and Quilters World. Plan on investigating the fatcat site. Jayne

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I find the fabric manufacturers have great free patterns and are a wonderful source of inspiration for me. I have learned to download the pattern I like as soon as I see it, because the selection is constantly changing.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I don't have any particular favorite site for patterns. If I see a quilt I like and can't figure it out, I'll Google it and see if I can find it. I especially like to use Google Image for quilts as a variety of fabrics and variations is always helpful in seeing what is easy on the eyes and what isn't. Pictures that quilters share are an inspiration!

SharonG/FL-IN

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to add my favorite site for tutorials, Missouri Star Quilt Company.

and I just got an email this morning from Free Quilt Patterns, that they've set up a "playground". You can choose a pattern, change colors by opting for different manufacturers fabrics, change orientation, etc, and then print the pattern for what you've created. Free!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern Playground

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kay - Missouri Star Quilt Company has taught me alot!

The Pattern Playground -OMG- A Place to play on a very rainy day :) Thank you!!

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I love FatCats! I want to make the baby Dresden plate lion quilt.
    I save Applewood's applique patterns but I haven't made one yet.
    Planet Patchwork also has great BOM's.
    Sharon gave us Persimmon Quilts 'Love in the Mist' that starts in June so I'm watching that one too.
    Rosa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Tried Pattern Playground. Did anyone else have the same problem I had? I tried to print one of the patterns but while I could get all the printed instructions, the picture of the quilt would not print. Tried it twice just to make sure. Or could it be my printer?

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Nannykins, you can use a free program called Cropper to take a picture of anything on your computer screen. You can resize the area you want to capture and then choose whether you want to print it, save it as a picture file or copy it.

You can get it here: Free Cropper Download

I've used it for about a year now and really like it.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Cropper download

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Looks like Cropper is a Windows program. I am on a Mac. I will keep playing with it.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Sorry Kate, I meant to add thank you for the tip.
    Theresa