Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? May 31-June2

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I probably won't do much quilting this weekend. DS and family are coming home. DD has some complications with her pregnancy and isn't able to travel. They will be missed.
This week I have been working on the monkey quilt I am making for DD. I have all the blocks embroidered but still have embroidery to do on the border. Next week I hope to get the quilt assembled. Can't wait to see it all put together.
I took my challenge quilt top to quilt group last night and chose a red checked fabric for the backing. That will be on the to-do list for next week.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (16)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Linda, Prayers that the complications your DD is experiencing will be solved and that all is well.

Yes, I'll most likely being sewing this week-end. I have 7 Barns completed but want to get the rest of them kitted. Would also like to get a couple more Granny Squares made (using 5" squares) and look through the stash/scraps to see what's there that will be suitable for Beverly's project.

Will have to start doing a little cleaning soon as 12 family members are expected to arrive a week from tomorrow for a 5 day stay. DGD, Jasmine is dancing at Disney on June 15th if anyone plans to be there on that date. Most of them will be bunking at Holly's but some will be here. You should see my grocery list! LOL

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

I probably won't have much time for sewing. Tomorrow we're going to see my mom. Sunday I play bells for the 2 early services then in the evening is the celebration for our retiring music director. That's going to be a tough one!

If I sew it will be Sunday afternoon. My magnolia wall hanging is nearly quilted (need to do 1 side of 3 borders). I got the backing for my sister's quilt yesterday so that will be next up on the frame.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I can't devote a day or two to quilting like I did last weekend, but I'll get a couple hours in. After my 6 month quilting 'drought' I now have several projects I want to work on all at once! (Isn't that just the way this works?) I want to finish the Retreat Challenge Quilt, do a practice star on the paper piecing project I am about to start, decide what fabric from my stash I want to use on the labyrinth quilt I am also about to start and finally (FINALLY!) tackle the quilting on a lap quilt I made last year. It's a gift for my brother and he'll be here in two weeks! That one should be my top priority but I'm having trouble putting down the paper piecing.

Kate

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Our weather has been so rainy and cool that my gardening is way behind, but it looks like I'll get some gardening time in this weekend. My husband leaves for a week in the Boundary Waters on a fishing trip, so there will be peace and quiet at home.

I will be taking my aunt's quilt top to my LAQ this weekend and also buying some Minky backing for my friend Donna's quilt. She so admired my batik Simple Logs quilt that I have over my sofa that I thought I'd make her one in scrumptious turquoise and purple batiks with a light purple backing. Those are her colors. I do need to clean my office/sewing room. My sewing supplies are tidy; it's my paperwork that is out of control. How do we collect so much stuff?

I also need to do a little closet work. Too many things that I don't wear cluttering up the space.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Saturday is Zoo day...My neice is coming with her 5 and 1 year old, along with grandparents in tow. This may be the last time we see them for quite awhile...they move to NY state in two weeks,so with us working and living in MD..it will be awhile. I intend to inquire what colors she would like in a sofa / lap quilt for her new home...give myself another project!
    Sunday I hope to steal some time in the sewing room, finish up a baby quilt, and pull the lucky winner out of the hat for the May Lotto!
    Happy Quilting!
    V.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

No quilting for me, I have the paint and one window in my sewing room is being tinted tomorrow. My room is torn apart and I want to paint before I put it all back together.

Linda, I searched and I can not find it - I had a site bookmarked where the lady takes pre orders only for the Monkey Shines quilt. She was asking $650 + shipping + tax and that was 3 years ago. I know how labor intensive it is, looking forward to seeing your pics!!!!
    Rosa

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh my.....sounds like everyone is having house-fulls. It's just the opposite here. My husband's brother is in ICU and it's extremely serious so he is there and the animals and I are holding down the house and waiting for word when he finds out. I just got down from the sewing room. It's the shank of the day, and hot and I shall wait for it to cool a bit before I go back outside to work. So I am making more HSTs for the depression block and trying to get two blocks sewn together, my unofficial goal for a day's sewing. My granddaughter and my grandson's girlfriend are both having high school graduation parties this weekend, on the same day. I'll be busy sunday and need to do a little cooking before then to take 'stuff'. Speaking of totally scrappies........my current project is. My poor husband........LOL.........he is looking at it and it's got enough contrast the you can tell it's tessellated, keeps asking me if there shall be sashing between the blocks. I know where he was headed with it and he finally came right out and said "It's busy!" Uh huh...........extremely so and I won't know if I love it or hate it until it's done....but it's a true depression quilt genuine to the pattern with scraps from everywhere! Linda.........keeping you in my thoughts with your daughter's pregnancy. The waiting is hard.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I've got two quilts that need work this weekend. Today I was able to do the last seam on 30 - 18" blocks for my niece's quilt. I have one to fix, then I can put her top together. (Needed to re-work the layout in EQ to figure out the over all layout, since I don't have a floor space big enough to play with.) After I get the blocks together, it sits until I get the backing back from the screen printer...there are no borders.

Then, more importantly, I have to get Trish's president's quilt done. It is back from the quilter and I need to trim it. I also need to make the binding, sew it one, and do a few embellishments. I'm adding 6 buttons, and some black 'ropes' at the top. Just enough to take some time. In the interest of time, I'm contemplating entirely machine stitching the binding...don't think she'd mind, but it just doesn't seem 'right'.

But that all needs to wait because I have a CPR class from 9-5p tomorrow. We also picked 3 buckets of strawberries today that will need something done with on Sunday.

I think I'm already ready for bed!

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I'm putting borders on a quilt I'd put aside and forgotten about. It really is lovely and I need to get it out there in case I can put it to use. I'll need to get black batting for that one.

I'll take my work bag along to my volunteer job in the morning with the usual hand work. It's getting harder and harder to find projects to do by hand. I can stitch a border down if I'd get one ready. Otherwise I will continue with my applique. This country type one I'm working on will be great if I complete it. My friend made the same one and hers is so nice.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend around home base.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Healing thoughts to all of you with ailing family members. No time to quilt this weekend. Working our P.E.O. garage sale fundraiser today and tomorrow. Then a bit of free time with my husband to visit with artists on the studio tour.

Hoping the weather in Oklahoma improves fast. My heart goes out to all of the people who've suffered in the recent storms.

Gonna be a scorcher here tomorrow!
    LindaB/CA

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

It's always busy this time of year with graduations, weddings, end of school activities, ball games, etc. Thankfully I'm not dealing with any of those. I do need to do a little bit of yard work, but that may have to wait until evening or very early in the morning.

Lots of sewing, etc. to do: finish the scarf on my Cricket loom, work on the Forum challenge, make some sample blocks for the scrappy class I will teach for our guild in August, begin on my niece's wedding gift quilt, do another round of blocks in our Round Robin exchange, try to sew up the blouse I have cut out that will go in my Etsy shop, and those are just the things I can think of right now. Plus, I plan to make slaw, marinated carrots, and tuna salad to have on hand for lunches next week.

Stay cool - it will be close to 90 here this weekend. :o(

Teresa

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

The Chantilly quilt for my sister's man friend was finished while our RR group was in the mountains last weekend. Glad to get that one finished and have it ready for his birthday.

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I didn't get as much done as I thought, but just have to post about my non-sewing daughter, Holly.

She's lost almost 40 pounds and a couple weeks ago came over with some jeans to shorten. I showed her how to use my machine and all the various things she would need to know about it. She did pretty well. Last night, she brought a couple more pair over as the last pair are too big now. I put her on my other machine as it was more accessible at the time. I threaded it for her but left the needle threading to her.....yes I have a needle threader, but she needs to learn how it's done. She got it threaded ok and when I went to help get her jeans under the presser foot to start, something just didn't look right (not that I can see that clearly, but something wasn't right). Come to find out, she had put the bobbin thread through the needle! We had a good laugh and continued.......

Probably won't get much sewing done this week. Two dr appts and cleaning house, room by room.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Shorten Jeans with Original Hem

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed with Holly's weight loss! Congrats to her!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon, I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds, FOR YEARS lol!!!! It is an impressive weight loss, good for Holly!

Thanks for the tute, I'm another that has to hem all pants and it's not something I enjoy!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Kate, She's looking pretty good but she's still working to lose more.

Rosa, If we would keep each 5 pounds off that we keep losing, we'd look super, wouldn't we??? LOL I started using this way of shortening jeans a few years ago when the youngest grandson needed shorter jeans. I think the hardest part about this method is measuring! LOL

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner