Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Planning for Fall

jennifer_in_va
12 years ago

For anyone who might be interested, we are indeed planning another quilt retreat in the Fall!

The weekend of Oct 6-9, 2011 we'll be at Camp Cheerio, NC again for our 5th annual Quilt Retreat.

We'd love to have more new faces this year! The cost is around $200 (not including travel expenses) and include our sewing space, rooms, and meals from dinner Thurs through lunch Sunday.

Give it some thought, put it on your calendar, and start saving your pennies!

If you have any questions, let us know. A lot of us have gone one year or another and will be happy to share.

Jennifer

Comments (59)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Aaaarrrgghhh! One of these years I'll be able to go, but it won't be this year because I've already used up all my vacation time because of the *&^( knee.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Kate,

Can't you tell the boss you had a 'relapse' & need a little more time off for R&R&Q??!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

LOL! Wish I could! R&R&Q - that IS what I need!

• polardream
    12 years ago

Is Camp Cheerio located at Glade Valley or High Point, NC? I am still trying to figure out if I can come or not, but when I googled the location, two came up! Thanks,
    Sue

• grammyp
    12 years ago

It is the one in Glade Valley, near Sparta.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

The High Point location is the office headquarters. The camp was founded and is owned by the High Point YMCA.

Hope you can make it, Sue!

Teresa

• justamomofsix
    12 years ago

I am counting down the days.....I am so ready...if I get all the fabric I need I plan on working on a wedding quilt for my oldest daughter Victoria and her fiance. They are getting married the last Saturday in May of next year. I better get a move on....

:)Katherine

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I am so ready, too. Think I will work on my quilt for ME!

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Is anyone from Orlando area going? Gwen?

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I know what I'll be working on now. DH kindly didn't tell me he'd ordered this for me until I got a confirmation email in my inbox!! Gotta love him..

Quilt kit coming my way!! WHOOOHOOO!! It's all paper pieced and beautiful! I saw the sample first hand at the Hampton Quilt show in Feb. She was removing the paper while in her booth during the show.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Solstice

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Oh, Jennifer, that is soooo you! He did good. I can't wait to see it.

beverly

• gininmn
    12 years ago

I'd love to come but my niece Susie is getting married Oct. 8. She was supposed to get married last October the weekend just before we were leaving to head to NC but annulment delay issues resulted in them cancelling it. Things were resolved quite a while ago but she decided she wanted an October wedding so it's a full year since the original date. Sure hope it happens this year. I'll miss all of you and be watching for news and pictures from Camp Cheerio. Anyone who hasn't gone and is considering it, go for it. Great place, wonderful people! You'll love it!
    ~Ginny

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Ginny, we will miss you, but family comes first. Enjoy the wedding, Oct is a beautiful month for one. We will post lots of pictures for everyone's enjoyment.

beverly

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Haven't been here in awhile, but OMG! Sue!! When I read your post re:Glade Valley/High Point I had to laugh!
    Last yr - my first time at retreat- we also googled Camp Cheerio & entered the address into our GPS. The address for High Point! Needless to say, we arrived at the wrong place - just in time for rush hour traffic on the way BACK to Glade Valley! Yep! We had driven a considerable way OUT of our way! We arrived at the correct location just as they were removing dinner from the buffet tables. Fortunately Jennifer flagged down the kitchen helpers to keep the food out a few more minutes while we grabbed plates. We were starved! We knew right away that it would be a great weekend - so nice & caring to watch out for us!
    I highly !!! recommend having Jennifer's or someone's cell # before you leave home:)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ginny~ Sorry you can't come this year. Totally understand, though. October is a great month for a wedding (unless you're in ND or AK, I suppose)...my anniversary is Oct.2!

Cindy~ Will we see you guys this year?? And, 'yes', swapping cell #s is a definite must do!

• jackier123
    12 years ago

I am seriously thinking of coming this year. You guys seem to have so much fun! I also have a few quilts to get done for Christmas gifts this year and a retreat just might be the way to get them completed. When is the deadline?

Jackie

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Jackie! Please come!! We have tons of fun and still get tons done!

We'll say the deadline is Aug. 31st... If anyone wants to come, let me know by then. I don't have a firm price yet (won't until we're closer) but it's been at or close to $207 the last few year.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Yes, yes, please come. We do have such a great time. You can quilt as little or as much as you want.

beverly

• polardream
    12 years ago

Put me down - I am coming!

I had some questions, but Jennifer answered everything & I am excited. DH said he wasn't surprised ... he figured I would manage to find a way to get there - now I just need to be sure to put the correct location into the GPS - I don't want to miss dinner!

See you in October,
    Sue

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Yay, Sue! How great you are planning to come! I look forward to meeting you. We have such a grand time at our retreat!

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hurray!! Sue's coming!!! Who else?

I think it's time to start a list:
    Jennifer in VA
    Teresa nc7
    Grammyp Beverly & DH
    ToolGranny Linda
    PolarDream Sue
    JustaMomofSix Katherine
    Sandlapper Rose Jeanne
    Carol
    quiltpartner Cindy & DH

Gwen??
    Sharon??
    Jackie??

Anyone else I've forgotten??? No real need to 'commit' at the moment, but we like to see who's coming to the party!

• wendyfaye
    12 years ago

I want to come. Just trying to work out the details. Anyone coming from Charlotte? Or some other city with an airport? (With whom I can bum a ride ;) ) And I guess I also need to bum a machine, if anyone can bring a spare.

Sheesh... I'm sounding like way more trouble than I'm worth...

Faye

• polardream
    12 years ago

Faye, I am not sure if I am flying or driving. If I fly, I will probably fly into Charlotte, also.
    Sue

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

I can pick up on Thursday anyone flying into RDU or Piedmont International and we'll go straight to Cherrio. Sorry, I can't do Charlotte.

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I would love to come, but like others, I'm still working out the details. The ones that are bringing their spouses, can you tell me what they are planning to do while we quilt? And is it possible to only attend Friday night to Sunday?

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Although I can't be there this year I know exactly what DH Jim will be doing when I can finally attend: napping, then sitting on one of those porches either reading or working on the laptop, then more napping! He says it sounds great. There are several golf courses in the area as well but he says he's not sure he can work in golf with all the relaxing on his schedule.

Maybe next year...

Kate

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Robbie, my DH is planning on doing some bike riding and trail running. He will also spend some time listening to books (please read as asleep) on the porch. He will also be hanging around to help us hang quilts and stuff. There is a golf course near by and the camp has horses, archery, ropes course, soccer field, tennis courts, canoes, lake, and a gym. The pool is usually closed when we are there. There are comfy sofas and a big screen tv with DVD player in our area. We will have internet and lots of food, too. There will be plenty to keep him busy.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Teresa, Is Piedmont International in Greensboro? There's a flight from St Pete to Greensboro for $44.95 arriving at 9:25am Thursday. That's really, really early for me.....would have to make other arrangements getting back though......I'm still on the fence.....sigh....

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Go for it, Sharon. We need your expertise and you'll have a new baby to hold.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Uh-oh....the baby is tipping the scales......hmmmmm

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Yes, Sharon, Piedmont Trial Int'l is in Greensboro. Not a problem to pick you up then. Hope you can figure it out.

Teresa

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

OK girls, I'm in.

I'll run the car pool from Charlotte airport (and to Mary Jo's). I'll borrow Teresa's featherweight and Sue will need a loaner as well. Faye too, probably. Jeanne, Bev, Katherine, Cindy, Jen - anyone with a spare small machine?

Sue and Faye can contact me offline regarding flights and times. Car will hold a fourth if Fran decides to join us. She's still working on her schedule.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's great!!

I have 2 extra machines I can bring. (I don't think Cynthia would mind sharing hers for the weekend.) Just let me know for sure...

Thanks for handling the carpool, Linda!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I'll sneak an extra machine in if there is room, Tim will never know.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just as long as it doesn't take the mice's (mouse's) spot!!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Oh, the mice will be coming. Any other special requests?

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Sorry ladies (and gents), I won't be able to get to the retreat again this year. :(

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Are you sure? You know we'll just talk about you if you don't come!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

HA! You just talk away, Mz TG. Beverly knows secrets but you'd have to pry them out of her. You know you'll get more sewing done if Gwen and I aren't there dancing on the tables with those mice hanging out of our mouths. LOL

• grammyp
    12 years ago

My mouth is sewn shut.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Secrets?!?! Sharon~Are you pregnant again?? Huh, huh. You can tell us, really, you can. We won't tell Clay. Promise!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

PG? Oh boy, no way!!!! But, to be honest, I've been thinking about checking out the slacks in the maternity dept to see if they'd feel better around my middle. LOL

• jackier123
    12 years ago

I wanted to come so bad, but my son decided he was getting married the weekend after the retreat...I cant take that many days off work if I plan to have money.

Jackie

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

I am so sorry I can't make it to the retreat this year!
    I just have several family events I want/need to attend.
    You all will just have to keep us posted and try to behave yourselves since Sharon and I can't be there! Lol

Dern, wish it could be different!
    Gwen

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Jackie, we do understand, perhaps next year.

Gwen (and Rob), and Sharon, you will be missed. But no, we won't behave ourselves. We will stay up late, eat way too much, and gossip. May even get out and run amuck with the kids at camp, you can never tell. Anyone feel like short sheeting some beds???

beverly

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Oh, please - I'm too old to short sheet beds! Sorry I've been MIA lately - more on that later, but all is (fairly) well around here.
    Not seeing Marge on the list --- or even any posts here. Margie dear, where are YOU?? Just because I've been MIA doesn't mean you can be too!!
    Jim was hoping to see a few more guys this year, but he says he'll just bring along a few more books! lol

Getting excited!!

ps-I may be bringing my mom this year (IF there is room)- she will be in New Orleans and/or Miss the first of Nov on another work trip - (her 10th, I believe!) so she's not sure about taking another trip so close together. I told her 3+ wks is plenty of time to recover & repack. It's not like she'd be wearing the same clothes to sew in that she wears to build houses anyway. Geez!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Marge has been under the weather this summer and they went to FL early. She said they don't think they will be getting out and driving anywhere for a while.

I think your Mom will have a great time. A biking friend of ours has talked about trying to come, but she may have used up her vacation time.

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy~ You say your mom might come "IF there's room". Does that mean room at camp or room in your car?!?! tee hee

There's plenty of room for her! We'd love to meet her and see what she can do! And 'yes', I think 3 weeks is plenty of time to recuperate after a trip.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Well, the decision has been made - Mom is not coming with us. Bummer! She doesn't want to leave DH that often in a short period of time, & he can't travel any distance at all. A 40 mi day trip doesn't even happen but rarely anymore. So, maybe next year.

I'm loving the tree idea more & more as I read about all the ideas. This will be so cool!

Am teaching one of my daycare little girls to sew. She has ADHD but when it comes to sewing, she could go forever. We may have hit upon a wonderful thing! At the moment she is at my side, bugging me to finish so we can get back to the sewing room. I shouldn't thwart such enthusiasm!

Hope everyone is having a great week! And accomplishing more than I am - which wouldn't be hard, I can't seem to do anything that 'I' want to do :(

~Cindy

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

I am sorry I cannot attend the Retreat this year - 2012. We have plans for that w/e. I thought if it was later in the month, we could do both. It is nice to have 2 great things to choose from!

Gwen