Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

May, 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Wow! How did this happen? 2014 is almost half gone already!!

A year ago tonight, my sister's husband and daughter were told by the doctors they should be making final arrangements. She literally saw a host of angels waiting to carry her to her new home, but our prayers were answered and she was allowed to stay with us. She still is not back to full strength, but is doing very well. Thank you, Lord.

Sewing for me this month will be hit and miss. Granddaughter's Bridal Shower on the 18th with the wedding in June and family coming down from Indiana, but I am going to try and get some quilts quilted this month. I have 3 already sandwiched, so if I hide all the fabric and don't start anything new, maybe, just maybe, there will be a few completed. I had an idea for a QOV that can be started as leader/enders so maybe I'll get those squares together, too. Look at me!!! Starting another quilt!!! No, No, No!!!! Someone needs to save me from myself!!!

What are your plans for this month?

SharonG/FL

Comments (21)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Sharon, you are on the ball with the monthly goals! :) That's great news about your sister. I'm so glad she's doing well.

I plan to keep working on the quilt using the Thangles. I'm getting close to getting them all sewn up into HSTs; then I'll need to cut squares in 2 sizes (some are being cut as I make the HSTs) so I can assemble the blocks. It's going to be totally scrappy.

Tomorrow I plan to layer and quilt the 2 miniature tops I finished in April so I can turn them in at the guild meeting on Monday.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I couldn't even remember what my April goals were! Thankfully we have these posts so I could go back and check. All in all, I didn't do too bad last month, finishing two lap quilts for ill friends and getting my lotto blocks done on time.

For May:
    - try to get ahead on the Lotto blocks
    - get started on a signature quilt for a friend who's getting married in September - I have the material and The Plan, so I'm ready to cut and sew.
    - start working on the Challenge Quilt for the 2014 Retreat. I have purple fabric, orange fabric, lots of thread, a few beads and a sketch. I even have a name for it, after a conversation with my Japanese neighbor. All I need is a little bravery, a little skill, and a lot of time.
    - (maybe this month) I have one queen size quilt to finish putting together and two large finished tops that need quilting. Looks like my friend with the long arm will never get it set up and ready so I'm going to tackle quilting these on my Juki.

Kate

• nannykins
    9 years ago

While I did do more in April than I thought, I must get back to the UFO pile. And the LAQ was to have the wedding quilt finished in May so that will need binding.
    Off to the optometrist today for a prescription for glasses. Putting on, taking off, finding the readers, finding the computer pair, all pretty aggravating. So let's just go back to glasses.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Oh, I hear you, Theresa! I go for my annual checkup in August, and I'm going to tell the eye dr. if she can't get my vision better so that I don't need readers most of the time (in addition to my contacts), then I just want to have glasses.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    9 years ago

I need to go for an eye check up too. I only wear mine for distance and taking them off so much wears them out faster, IMO. I don't need readers, but I like to wear the cheap ones from the $ store when I quilt. They seem to last longer than my prescription ones lol!

Sharon that's great news about your sister!

My one and only goal is to finish up an autograph graduation quilt for a great niece. I have gotten burned out on this type of quilt and it is slow going!

I'm trying to get my yard in shape, 'cause I know after this month I will not be in it too much.
    Rosa

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

Sharon, so glad your sister is better and hope she continues to improve.
    I started the month by finishing the binding on my Quilty Fun quilt. I finished the t-shirt quilt yesterday and the recipient is coming to get it tonight.
    My goal for May is to work on some fun quilts for myself. I have a jelly roll of Piecemakers by Kathy Schmidt that I want to make for my bed. I also have a stack of Kate Spain's Daydream FQs that I am dying to start cutting.
    I am so glad to have finished all the requests and to work on something I want to make.
    Linda OH

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

Sharon glad your sister is doing better. This month I will be hand-quilting my parents' queen-size Card Tricks quilt. It has 10 rows of 10 9-inch blocks, so I am trying to hand-quilt 1 row per week.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Thu, May 1, 14 at 15:40

• day2day
    9 years ago

Hi Sharon. Good news about your sister. I hope she continues to improve.

My sewing machine had problems and it's been a long time since I did any sewing. Finally got back on track today. I will comtinue with the small items that I plan to sell. I will also continue with the Film at Five blocks. I like making the blocks because I have plenty of 2.5"squares. I do the blocks whenever I have a few spare minutes.

I hope everyone has a productive month.

~Geraldine

• polardream
    9 years ago

I am hoping to do the May lotto and sandwich one of my UFOs and get it quilted. We are traveling a lot -- Arizona until the 6th, then leave for Europe at the end of May. Whatever gets done in between will be a bonus!

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have been without a computer for a week! Amazing how much time I had!!! Finished up 2 UFO's and the 3rd one is ready for binding. We got the desktop back today and I might get my laptop back tomorrow. DD3, Holly, has loaned me her laptop so I can at least check out this forum and FB. Not sure I can remember passwords to anything else. :-( Oh well......... I also started another quilt.....sigh.

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    9 years ago

I imagine what quilting I get to this month shall be to finish off the 8ft x 8ft puff quilt, and get my New Year mystery quilt sandwiched and FMQ. I just finished off sewing the last seams to the 4 x 4 puff quilt blocks. 1,024 little three inch pillows. Still trying to decide if it needs to be one foot longer, but I'm think as heavy as it is, that it does not need to cover pillows. I like the look of crisp, white starched percale pillow slips and may decide to get the backing on, sew the smaller units together and knot it done and bind it. I took a picture of the sections just laying atop a bed to see how it sized up...........so it still needs sewn together and I found a big smudge on the lens of the camera, but this is what ate up a huge portion of my smaller stash pieces and shall make a very snug winter quilt for sure.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Yes...there is a big smudge on the camera face, but it doesn't hide you handi work! Your quilt does look cozy, and cuddly...just want to jump in and wrap yourself up!!! Very nice!

This month, I will be working on a lap size quilt for my niece and I hope to sandwich my garden fence top for quilting. My DH volunteer a garage wall so I can try spray basting...first to clear and then clean the garage space, we're about 30% complete! Another weekend or so of cleaning and I may be able to give this a go!

V.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Sharon, I'm so happy your sister is recovering. A sister is such a special person.

Calliope, your puff quilt looks great. What did you fill the little pillows with?

Let's see... my goals this month. Well, I did the May lotto block last night. I've finished my DH Block Bluster quilt top. I've purchased fabric for my niece's wedding quilt. I'll probably start washing and cutting this month. I need to quilt my scrap baby quilt and start quilting my Baby Honu quilt. I need to see if I can bring an extra table into my office/sewing room to bear the weight of the quilt as I FMQ. That will leave me with only enough space in my tiny room for my chair, but dragging seems to be my biggest problem while FMQing larger pieces.

I guess that's about it for now, especially since the month is a third over already. Happy Mother's Day all you moms, grandmothers and great-grandmothers.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calliope, When I first saw your picture, I thought my eyes had gone bad again! I never got the clear and bright vision that everyone else gets, but it wasn't this blurry. lol What fun you must have had making this quilt.

I got the third quilt completed and ready to give and have the fourth one sandwiched. I haven't done anything else on it because I started working on a wallhanging of a tree with a pink ribbon wrapped around it. I'm using 2" squares so it won't be very big......I'm thinking around 18". This is the one that prompted making it. But, my pink ribbon doesn't look as good as this one....I might have to make another one.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Calliope, I love your puff quilt! I bet it's toasty warm.

Sharon, that's a cute little tree quilt.

I finished my 2 minis and am still working on the larger quilt with the HSTs made using Thangles. The block I'm using is called Contrary Wife and has a larger center square. After sorting the HSTs and solid squares I was starting to look for fabrics to use for the centers, and I realized I had 12 different cat fabrics, and my quilt has 12 blocks! I have 3 complete; after the blocks are done I need to pick something for the sashing and probably a couple of borders.

So, I'm guessing finishing this quilt will become a May goal!

Donna

• calliope
    9 years ago

Contrary wife was the New Year's mystery quilt block pattern. I really liked it. LOL and sorry about the smudge on the picture Sharon. I was just too lazy to go back upstairs and take another one. Glad to hear about your sister's remission. One of my dearest elderly friends who was a childhood friend of my mother was diagnosed twelve years ago with a very rare pancreatic cancer and given months to live. She was in her late seventies then. She took a round of (supposedly) palliative chemo and was cancer free for eleven more years and lived to see her ninetieth birthday and remained independently living until her death months ago. Just goes to show you. I have the puff quilt all ready to put the back on now, and the material lain out .....just busy with things like mucking chicken coops and company coming this weekend. I'll get a round tuit.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calliope, So happy that your friend lived that much longer. I understand that those with pancreatic cancer aren't given much hope at all. Good for her!!!

I don't know if anyone remembers me doing a 3-D pink & white pinwheel smallish quilt top a few years ago, but I finished quilting it yesterday and put the binding on today. Will be sandwiching another one....maybe later today. :-)

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Well, I finished the 2 miniatures and the larger quilt is 1/2 quilted! Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.

I've been cutting squares for a postage stamp project for a while. I've got 3 of the planned 12" blocks done and the 4th is underway as my leader-ender project. The other day I decided to take stock of where I am and discovered I had nearly all the squares I needed! My plan was to have 12 blocks in different colorways and I was having trouble thinking up 12 different colors. Turned out I was easily able to come up with 12 colorways and cut the few remaining squares I needed. Finally put the design together in EQ so I'd know what I need to finish it.

Boy, it feels good to have a plan! :)

Donna

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Donna, it sounds as if your postage stamp project is much like the one I'm saving (and cutting up) for. Blocks of 10x10 one and a half inch squares in the same colorway. I have a long way to go before I have enough variety to sew the squares together. It's a great project to work on when you'd like to quilt, but don't have the initiative to work on something more complicated or when you've had just a little too much wine. That's when the Klutz Glove comes in handy.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Yes, Lois, it sounds like our projects are very similar! I got the idea from a photo someone posted here quite a while ago. :)

I don't think I'd try sewing if I'd been drinking wine! LOL

Donna

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I got the first 3 rows of blocks hand-quilted on my parents' Card Tricks Quilt. I got more done on it than I thought I would for the month of May.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks