Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Problem printing fabric labels in printer

polardream
11 years ago

I am SO FRUSTRATED!!! I bought the Bubble Jet Set and have treated my fabric to make a printed label - three times. I followed the directions of soaking fabric for 5 minutes, letting it dry, then ironing to freezer paper. I trimmed the paper to 8-1/2 x 11 and put it in my HP6300 printer and hit "print". The fabric feeds into the printer then jams up. I have tried this 3 times and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong or how to get it to print.

Have any of you had any success printing your labels with your computer printer? Any suggestions. Thanks.

Sue

Comments (8)

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I was having this happen too. In desperation, I grabbed the can of spray basting, gave the paper a shot, then applied the fabric.
    It worked. It went through the printer like it was supposed to.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And I used regular typing paper not the freezer paper.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Use the paper feed slot for labels if you have one. It feeds the paper straight and not rolling it around the roller.
    Also see if you can change a setting for thicker paper

I have better success with using my DH's printer than mine.

Sometimes I have no problems, and other times it takes me days. I always prep extra fabric, and try to print 2 quilt labels on a page to reduce my frustration episodes.
    I bought the precut heavier freezer paper marketed for labels - it did seem to help. Perhaps iron 2 thicknesses of the reg freezer paper together & try it. Putting spray basting thru a printer may ruin the printer.

I have found printing labels to be very difficult.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

This is all great advice! Thanks to all who have posted about making labels in your printer.

For those of us who haven't tried it, how do you prep your fabric? And, does it make the label waterproof so the quilt can be washed or is it only good for wallhanging quilts?

Thanks!
    Kate

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I posted this last year, so it's just a copy/paste. The labels are washable. I have several on quilts which have been washed numerous times.

This is about using the Bubble Jet Set solution:

Posted by mary_c (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 10:03

Oh, I just follow the directions on the bottle, and it works fine.

Perhaps the "hint" I had was the type of freezer paper I used - it's heavier than the stuff on a roll. It's also precut in 8.5x11" sheets, so it goes through the printer beautifully.

I think Nancy's Notions may now sell this, but I got mine from C. Jenkins Necktie Company. Link below.

Posted by mary_c (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 10:38

Well, I just learned something!

The C. Jenkins is Cathy Jenkins, and she started out making custom handmade neckties. She INVENTED Bubble Jet Set! It's a pretty interesting website.

And here's the website again:

Here is a link that might be useful: C. Jenkins company

• polardream
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. My printer doesn't allow you to feed separately for labels - or adjust the weight.
    I also didn't have any spray adhesive, so I decided to fold the freezer paper over the lead end of the fabric and ironed it down to make a crisper lead edge - AND IT WORKED!!!! YEAH. (maybe the little prayer helped, too!)

Kate, I have not used this product before, but it is supposed to treat the fabric to make it safe to wash and the label should stay printed. I also bought the Bubble Jet Rinse which is a mild detergent to wash the label and it is supposed to seal the colors/ink and keep them from bleeding.

I did wash the piece that jammed in the printer last night and it seems to have worked. I hope it works well with the one I just printed. I need to let this dry for at least 30 minutes before I try washing it, but I think it is going to work!

Thanks for the hints of things to try.
    Sue

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I use the paper-backed fabric that is designed for printers. I've never had trouble with the fabric/paper feeding, but the Brother printer we have now will just not make very saturated prints, even with the vibrant color selected. I have only printed a few labels with it but have found they wash out very fast.

Donna

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I change the paper type on my printer's software to premium photo paper when printing on fabric and haven't had a problem.
    I haven't printed any since we bought our Kodak printer but anything printed in color is much more vibrant with this printer so am hoping for great results.

Mary