Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? May 18-20

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I have been refolding all the fabric in my stash. I am almost finished. It was sorted by color but the pieces were all different sizes. I am wrapping it around my 6X24 ruler then folding in half. It looks SO nice in the cabinet!

I am tossing anything smaller than a half yard into my scraps bin and plan to cut it with my Go cutter for scrap quilts.

Thursday I helped hang quilts for a small festival in town. I entered two quilts. They won't be judged but there is a People's Choice award of a $100 gift certificate to the LQS.

Are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (30)

• calliope
    11 years ago

Probably. Nothing new.......just trying to get the Sun/stars quilt finished so I can bind it off and move on. I'm hand quilting this one, probably my last full-sized hand quilting because the arthritis in my right thumb didn't let up when warm weather hit. Guess it's a permanent guest.

This quilt is certainly a mixed media project. The stars are paper pieced. The sun is appliqued. The background is black, and comprises the bulk of the quilt, so in essence it's practically a whole cloth quilt. It's my own design and the material went from a floor frame, to a hoop on a stand, and now that I'm near the edges, it's not even in a hoop. I'm doing what amounts to a sashiko stitch on it as well and some knotting. Let's just say I wanted to get my feet wet on all the stuff I integrated into it before I committed to a whole quilt using any one of those processes.

I just noticed the last couple sessions, I have just sat on the floor with my knees tucked under me and stitched. Can't believe I can still get away with that at sixty five. LOL.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

No! My good machine is going to the "doctor" tomorrow and they said they might have it for 2 weeks... I guess it will give me a chance to catch up on laundry :o)

Hope everyone has a nice weekend

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm hoping to get some sewing time in. I want to do the green HSTs, as well as the next couple lotto blocks. And I need to count up the current month's lottos too.

DH Jim was playing with the big dog yesterday evening and got a paw in the eye. Its badly scratched and he's wearing a patch so I don't think we'll be working on house projects this weekend.

Kate

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

I got the 20 blocks for my wedding present quilt together yesterday. I hope to get a border on it today.

I have to buy backing for that, and some unbleached muslin. THen I have a Retreat project I want to try out...have FQs pulled already. Can't wait!!

This weekend is a scout weekend. DD goes to overnight camp tomorrow morning and needs picked up on Sun. and DS is being inducted into cubscouts tomorrow afternoon. So we'll be busy shuffling them around.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I don't think I will have a chance this weekend. I must keep weeding so I can mulch today and help my daughter finish getting her condo ready to sell. Saturday night we have a potluck for foster families and Sunday is the big 6-0 for me so I would like to get the house cleaned tomorrow! The kids are planning something, I think a picnic at the beach and some hiking. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Happy birthday Bev!!!

• jackier123
    11 years ago

I hope to work on my BOM blocks this weekend. I have this month's about halfway complete. We plan on going fishing Sunday morning, so I won't get much done then.

Jackie

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Bev! Clean the house while you are still 59 ~ then relax & have fun for the next decade ~ I like that plan!

I probably won't get any quilting done this weekend. My next sewing project is to replace the valances in our family room and kitchen. I bought a new rug and you know what happens when you change one little thing! The valances are very large and tailored, and as hard as I tried, I cannot find anything ready made.
    The weather is supposed to be nice Saturday and I also need to plant some containers.
    Maybe I can get a Lotto block made - hoping.....

Kate~ ouch! I have had a scratched cornea - very painful and the patch is very annoying. Hope he heals quickly.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

The garden is still calling. I did some planting yesterday and plan to do more tomorrow. Then I can take a break before the weeds visit.
    Rain is forecast for Monday, so that will likely be quilting day.
    Happy weekend to all.
    And happy birthday to Bev.
    Theresa.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I have Roll Roll Cotton Boll about 3/4 quilted, so hope to finish it this weekend. DH is supposed to be off tomorrow, but I don't know if he has any plans. He's worked the last 3 Saturdays so he may just want to lie around the house.

Kate, I hope your hubby's eye is better soon!

Happy birthday, Bev! Have fun!

Donna

• day2day
    11 years ago

Hopefully!
    I am hoping to finish a panel quilt that I am quilting by hand. I will be pleased if I can finish the quilting and have it ready for binding on Monday morning.

~Geraldine

• karpet
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Bev!

Calliope - I hope I can still sit like that at 65 too! My mother was always getting on me for pulling my feet up on the chair when I was sitting or for sitting on the floor, but I still do it (so does DH!)

I should be furiously finishing a quilt for a shower, but I am just not in the mood to rush. It will not be ready for the shower but will be done before the wedding. I'm not sure if I'll do any sewing - part of me wants to hit some advertised garage sales 'for quilters' with 'tons of fabric'. (As if I need more fabric!)
    Karlene

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Bev!

Karlene, have fun at those sales!

Kate, I hope your husbands eye heals without scars. I got nailed in the left eye about 3 years ago, and it left a scar. I didn't know about it until I went to my eye doctor to find out why that eye is always tearing. Apparently the scar lifts the lid just enough to keep drying out the eye, so the eye keeps producing tears to moisten it again. Not a big problem, but enough to be a nuisance at times. And, if that's all I ever have to "complain" about, I'll be grateful!

Without meaning to do so, I accidently arranged for the next 9 days off from work. That means I'm going to be in the garden, at the beach, and using my sewing machine. Now, that's what I call a vacation! I live in a very touristy area, and we have some fantastic beaches, so I can't see spending money to go somewhere that isn't half as nice as where I live. Sign me up for sun, fun, and relaxation!!!

Later!
    Dan

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Gee, Dan, I wish I could "accidentally" get a vacation! LOL Enjoy! It sounds like you have some great things planned.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Dan I never thought of Michigan as having beaches - have fun!!!

Happy bday Bev!!!!

The bug man commeth Monday so I cleaned my sewing room and refolded fabrics too.

Sat we are going on our annual Mother's day spa day with mom, 4 sisters, 3 nieces. One sis and niece brings all kinds of snacks and THEN we go out to eat after!!

We have had rain all week and cooler weather and I should have been finishing up in my yard, but I didn't!!
    Rosa

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Looks like everyone is going to have a good weekend if they are quilting or not :o)

Kate, that is too bad about your hubby's eye! Have him read my super glue story with his other eye so he knows he's not alone.

I've just returned from dropping my machine off at The Sewing Studio. The drive was arduous and I'm glad to be back. I saw the fabrics and the back room, but didn't buy anything. I would have wanted to use my machine if I'd gotten any fabrics... maybe when I pick it up. I didn't find the staff overly friendly, but I understand they aren't there to be nice, they are there to make money... I wandered around for 10 minutes with my machine in hand because nobody was at the front counter finally a woman who looked like a customer got someone from the back to come write me up a ticket... I looked at embroidery machines, but didn't allow any to follow me home. There was one lady in the machines department and she was trying to teach an old woman how to create a folder on her computer for her embroidery machine and the woman just wasn't getting it... I looked at the machines and read the price tags trying to act interested for 20 minutes and then left without getting any questions answered.... The notions were insane and I could have gone crazy with those if I'd allowed myself to... I didn't! It will be nice to have the machine back, but I'm dreading the drive!

• karpet
    11 years ago

Well, no sales this weekend - we are down a car and DD needs it for work, so I've been looking up how to do free motion feathers and am gearing up to give it a try on this quilt that is sitting at my machine, waiting to be quilted.
    Karlene

• polardream
    11 years ago

We have a church potluck tonight, Sunday school teachers' breakfast tomorrow, a graduation party tomorrow, and DS is in town & we hope we can see him & his girlfriend for dinner/lunch? Who knows.

It is finally raining here - thank goodness because we have a forest fire just outside of town - 7500 acres. The smoke this week was horrible and the rain should definitely help. I had planned to garden, not sew, but now looks like I might get to squeeze in a little sewing. I need to get a label on a baby quilt and label & bind a quilt for a retirement present. Maybe I will get some time Sunday.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Sue

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sue, are you in Colorado? I heard today about a big fire near Ft. Collins. I know there has been a big one in Arizona, too. Stay safe!

Roll, Roll is almost quilted! I just have the short borders then I'll turn it 90 degrees to do the long ones. It's nice to be almost done!

Donna

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Lol, Rosa, most people think of Detroit being Michigan, but once you get north of Detroit you start running into all sorts of nature. The beaches in my area are some of the best of the best, it's just that you can't actually access them year round due to the snow and ice! But, once the sun hits and the temperatures rise, watch out! The sand, sun, and surf beckon and people answer the siren call! Here are a few pictures of where I'll be in the upcoming days...

And at the end of the day, if you stay long enough, you'll see...

Beaches? Yeah, we've got them!
    Dan

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures Dan. I know there are some lovily areas in Mich. but I have a bad taste in my mouth when I remember our last visit. Visiting Flint we had our auto broken into while visiting a museum along with 2 other people. Not a fun memory.
    Started my Double Irish Chain today. Going to be a lap sized. Using the fabric I picked up from the friendly tip someone here gave me. Making good progress.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Dan. We always went to Lake Michigan beaches and the Dunes.

VF, With customer service like that, I don't think I'd buy anything from them, let alone a machine of any kind. The LQS I used to go to all the time started to have unfriendly employee's so I stopped going so often. They have since gotten a lot better. Some of these shops need to have the Undercover Boss come around.

Kate, Hope your DH's eye will be ok.

Sue, Since we live in a house trailer, I'm so paranoid about fire I won't burn candles or have gas stove.

Hope you're having a great birthday, Bev. The big 6-0? You haven't even reached the top of the mountain yet. lol

Since our big week (graduation hoop-la) starts tomorrow, and I'm leaving town a week from tomorrow for 3 months, I've been working on Brown's Chocolate Star quilt so I can take it with me. It's over 1/2 quilted and hope to finish it up today.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Dan, love the pictures! We went to Indiana Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore years ago, but it was in Sept. and blustery (and COLD to us Florida kids!)

I've had mixed results with Sewing Studio employees. Usually they leave you to yourself unless you ask for help; but then they are really nice and helpful. And that's great to me...I always want to be left alone unless I ask for help.

I've got one more long border to go on Roll Roll Cotton Boll! WOOHOO! Dinner's already going in the crock pot. I told DH I'd mow the grass so I'll be doing that later.

After church this morning I went to Joann's & got backing fabric for the next top to be quilted and stocked up on batting with my 50% coupon. So...all in all a pretty productive sewing weekend! And next weekend it 3 days!

Donna

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Dan, those are beautiful!! We're headed to the beach (NC) in a few weeks and I can hardly wait!! Plus I usually get a lot of hand work done in the car and a little done sitting around the room enjoying the view and breeze.

Very little quilting for me this past weekend. My mom's birthday was Saturday night, so I had a dinner for the family at our house (about 15 people, not real big).

Then I had a Girl Scout bridging ceremony on Sunday and bakes about 3 different cakes for it. I can't seem to anything easy. I did the Daisy to Brownie cake where the daisy was a cake that looked like a daisy (cut into wedges and each decorated individually) then a bridge that went to a pile of brownies. Then I did a sheet cake, 1/2 chocolate, 1/2 white with different colors icing and an iced rainbow in the middle. It was a lot of fun, but I just about waited too late to do it and cooking for 15 at the same time made for a busy day!

I was able to applique one piece that finished another square on my DJ quilt. I still have to finish last months blocks, but this week looks pretty clear, so maybe I can get caught up????

Robbi

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! We had a lovely day. We didn't make it to the beach unfortunately, too hot and then the rain came in.

Dan, love the photos. I took a vacation to your town a couple of years ago with a DD and thought it was one of the prettiest places I had ever been, but then again, I love the water. Not so much to be on it, as to just look at it. LOL

• polardream
    11 years ago

Great pictures Dan! I love the beach, any beach!

Donna, I live in Fort Collins. We got rain Friday night - lots of it, and a few sprinkles on Saturday. The fire is now 85% contained - hopefully out by the end of the week. We have rain forecast for Wed-Friday this week.

I ended up not doing ANY quilting - worked in the yard and enjoyed having DS & his girlfriend here for dinner Sunday.

Maybe quilting tonight ...

Sue

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Sue, I'm glad to hear the fire is under control. My dad was born in Greenland, a tiny community near Colo Springs. I haven't been there since I was about 3 years old (don't remember it at all!). I really should make a trip out there. I have an aunt in Caldwell, ID and cousins in Missoula MT and Laramie WY (probably a few left in Colo, too).

Donna

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Sue, my DD is moving to Fort Collins first of August to go to grad school. The current plan is I'll drive out with her and fly home. However, now another daughter is applying for a job in, I think, Glenwood Springs. If she gets it, she'll be moving at about the same time. All four kids have always lived very close to us, so this will be a change. However, from the pictures on the net, they both look like beautiful places for me to visit often. :)

• polardream
    11 years ago

Bev, hopefully you will have time to get together when you come to FC in August. We have been here since 1981 and love it. Our son lives in Gypsum right now - not from from Glenwood Springs. It is very pretty there and lots of fun things to do. He is moving back at the end of Sept. - he & his girlfriend just bought a house here so we are really excited.

I will send you an email with my phone number.
    Sue

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Sounds like fun, Sue. Since getting into the quilting a year or so ago, I have had fun visiting quilt shops in the towns I visit. Now I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people from our forum as I travel.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022