Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? April12 - 14

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I hope to quilt the table runner that has been on the frame for too long. This week I caught up on the Hello Moon blocks and the new barn block. I also made a mini quilt from scraps and hope to quilt it this weekend.
Are you quilting or sewing this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (22)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Yes! I took a vacation day today, so I have a 3-day weekend. The Blackford Beauty quilt is on the frame, so I'm hoping to get it quilted and finished this weekend. :)

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I sure hope so. I plan to make the 4th Barn block and I've started quilting the ZigZag quilt and hope to get at least most of it done. That quilt is so big and heavy for me that I lost 2 1/2 pounds this week!

On another note: Katie is experiencing headaches with pain behind her eye, having nausea and the shakes as well.....we believe this is from the radiation therapy, and she is unable to take the chemo treatment until they can get her more stabilized. Please send her some extra heavy duty support in your own way.......Thank you.

(ps....I'm sorry to stick these updates here and there, but it's the best way for me right now.)

SharonG/FL

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

No, maybe, yes, maybe...

I finished the squares dancing top ~ actually that was finished a couple weeks ago. Neighbor came over yesterday to help me spread the layers to spray-baste. Scrubbed and dried the driveway; then we carefully squared and taped the backing (100"x110") to the clean driveway. We had just started to lay the batting on top when the wind came up, the backing poofed away from the tape, and I now have a wad of sticky quilt-back to rinse and re-iron. Added to my tidbits of knowledge: if there are breezes in the forecast, don't try to spray-baste outside! I think I need to make a quilt-frame so I can tack the edges. Or stop making these big quilts.

Am in the process of putting the next design onto graph paper, and figuring out yardage. While that's a necessity, it doesn't quite feel like quilting.

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I would consider that to be quilting. I went to our LQS yesterday to get some fabric for DGS's wedding quilt and today I went to a Fabric store for flannel to back the 5 tops waiting to be finished.
    There are fabrics spread out on the table waiting for inspiration to strike.
    That may be as much quilting as I get done this weekend.
    Theresa

• calliope
    10 years ago

Yes, I have already. I sneaked into the sewing room where I have a scrappy jewelbox quilt under the needle of one of my machines, and the Quilting Goddess was with me and I zoomed away before she changed her mind when I should have been making the bed. Dear little g'son was visiting me a couple days ago and I had one panel of the quilt on the floor pinning it to the back and batting. He wanted to 'help'. He's just three and was curious about safety pins, and I showed him what they were for and how to use them. Yesterday he visited again and wanted to go see the 'rug'. LOL That same day I took him for a walk on the property and showed him how to sit in a tree. His ma is prolly gonna kill me someday. I am painting the big old farmhouse kitchen now and taking a break. The north and west sides were a deep barn red, authentic to the age of the house (1820s) but when the sun is overhead in summer (it was designed this way) no light comes in directly and though I loved it, it was way too dark. It's blinding me with brightness now! Hope to get back to the quilting after I tend the chickens and hope the quilting goddess is still smiling on me.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I am embroidering butterfly / ladybug preprinted washable ink pillowcases. Have been working on them since Tuesday. Hoping I can get them finished by end of April so they can be a Mother's Day present to my Grandma (the one I just made the quilt for last Christmas).

Will say a prayer for Katie, Sharon.

Cleaning out and reorganizing DH's clothes closet today. He was home briefly at lunch and was not happy about this. He hates to try on clothes. I'm sure I am going to get more spring cleaning done before the weekend is over, it's gonna' be a good weekend. :-)

Calliope you must have posted while I was typing. Sounds like you are having a very fun start to your weekend. Hope you share pics of your quilt once you get it finished.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 15:47

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Sandra, I hear you! Mine refuses to try on clothes. The most he will do is hold pants up against his leg to see if they are the right length, or have me hold a shirt across his shoulders. He would rather buy something then go through the hassle of exchanging or returning if it doesn't fit than take five minutes to try it on at the store. Men.

Sharon, I'm so sorry about Katie. You all are in my thoughts!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I hope to work on one of the transparency quilts from Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle's book. It took quite a while (and five quilt shops) to find the right fabrics. I hope it works out. All the pieces are cut, and I've been piecing this week. I can't wait to see it assembled. It's for my beloved step-son, Luke, for his birthday next September (or sooner, if I can't wait). He'll be 22 and he's 6'5", but he still loves softness, so it will have a charcoal-colored Minky backing.

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

I'd made a blue binding, but once I got a few feet of it basted to my quilt I didn't like it. I made a brown one instead and I start putting it on tonight.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Well Donna I am glad to know I am not the only one who has deal with a husband who refuses to try on clothes. I have yet to meet a man who likes to try on clothes.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 18:17

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I hope to get something accomplished. I have a wedding shower at noon, but that's really all for Saturday, other than all the normal stuff that seems to keep me hopping. Sunday is suppose to be 60 deg. so I will garden in the afternoon.

If I accomplish anything, I want to get the Lotto blocks done for April. I won't put my name in this month, as I have won 3 times in the last year or so, and I didn't even submit each month. So that's three quilts on my plate. Maybe I should play the real lottery. hmmmmmm

• polardream
    10 years ago

Last week was scrapbooking ... this weekend will be quilting, time permitting! I have a charity quilt that is half quilted and would like to finish and bind it. I also am making a tied fleece blanket for church. Evened the fleece and cut all the strips last night while making cookies and have one side tied. We give a blanket to anyone being baptized and have run out of larger sizes. If we don't need it, they will go on our annual mission trip to the Navajo reservation in New Mexico. Probably won't get to much sewing until tomorrow afternoon.

We have 2 potlucks with church today! One at noon, one tonight. I am making an Asian salad for both and have the Chinese cabbage rinsed and draining. Need to go make the dressing. We also have to go walk our son's dog since they are in Denver today!

Sharon, I will keep Katie in my prayers. I know it is hard - my dear little great nephew had cancer surgery on his 2nd birthday. He will be 5 this October and is doing okay now. It is hard, though, and we worry every day.

Sandra, I think it is universal that men hate to try clothes on. I have been cleaning closets and DH is about fit to be tied! He hates it!

Everyone have a good weekend!
    Sue

• tuppermom
    10 years ago

We had an ice storm overnight Thursday and lost power at 2:30 am. It was out all day Friday and finally restored a little after midnight. My house was very cold to the point that my son took my canary to his friend's house. We will go over later and pick him up. It got down to about 40F....not too much warmer than the outside temp was later in the day. I am hoping to get some sewing in sometime tomorrow but have lots of housework to do. Mud was tracked in yesterday, a little soot on the wall from candles, and just regular cleaning that didn't get done yesterday.

Sharon, I will keep Katie in my prayers.

Maryv

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Mary glad you got your power back on. When all that bad weather passed through at the end of this week we were lucky and mostly just got 2" of rain. Sue my hubby was not happy with me while I was cleaning out his closet and he grumbled quite a bit. Thankfully I completed that project in 1 afternoon so only had to listen to him complain for 1 day.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I have the 4th Barn block made....took pictures and when I uploaded them, one I had cut off the top and the other was so crooked I almost had to turn my head sideways. Nevermind I had checked them out in the little window thingy and thought they looked ok. I'm blaming my eyes. I have 6 vertical seam rows quilted on the ZigZag with one more to go, then will deal with the horizontal ones and finally around the inside blocks. I'm doing that wavy line, the serpentine stitch? This is the first time using it and it looks like it will be very durable. I'm hoping this quilt will last him for a very long time.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I mentioned in another thread that I finished restoring a Singer 301 this week. It belonged to a 96 year old lady who is in rehab for a broken ankle & moving into assisted living. She continued to sew until about 6 months ago on this 301. She is suffering from some dementia, and her daughter told me she talks about her sewing machine & what she plans to make everyday! First of all, I want to still be sewing at 96!!! Her daughter showed me some of her work -- gorgeous! She was a seamstress, did not quilt. The tablecloths and intricate lace, and rufflings, tatting, etc - all sewn on the 301. I don't even know what or how the accessories work. The machine was in excellent condition, except for the 50+ years of grime and nicotine(?) on the outside. I am assuming that's what all the yukky gold crud was --- ladies smoked and sewed - in high heels back in the day! Anyway, I am bonding with this machine today. I thought working on Virginia Bound blocks, a scrappy Bonnie Hunter strip piecing block would be the perfect project to work on while I get used to the knee lever, stitching and general nuances of my new 301. I haven't quite got the scant 1/4" consistent - got to work on that - so the Virgina Bound blocks with Miss Klara it is!

Sharon~my heart goes out to Katie and her family! keeping them in my prayers.

Mary~we loose electricity often. It is absolutely horrible in the winter. I know how you feel when you say your house temp was 40 - it is very scary for our pets! Glad your power is back on.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Well my hope was to be in the sewing room over the weekend, but happily I was side tracked on Saturday...posted a pic of my new / old featherweight which I acquired yesterday...so excited!

Today I plan to finish the top assembly of my first scrappy quilt, play w/ my new FW (aimee) and fry chicken for DH. It's Master Sunday in my household, which means DH will be glued to the TV and checking the Ipad for constant updates on the golf play, while happily munching on fry chicken...if I could harness that attention and energy elsewhere .. :-)

I'm thrilled the outside is finally turning green after the long grey winter ... so sorry to hear of the ice storm Mary....hopefully spring will appear shortly for you!

Meldy_nva....I had to chuckle on your basting story...this so sounds like something that would happen to me, except I'd be blowing in the wind on my own and madder than a hatter at myself. You have the right attitude...it will be lovely when finished and a great story to boot!

Sharon... Prayers for Katie during these trying times...so many positive thoughts coming her way.

V.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Well, I've been working on stripping wall paper border from the little girls' room. Have to take down some shelving brackets to get to the last four little spots. Also clearing out and storing 'stuff' so that I can paint next.

Between that, I've also gotten 4 rows of blocks together for Trish's (guild) president's quilt. And am working on tweeking a few more blocks on the next two rows. Hopefully will be able to sew these two rows together during naptime today.

If I'm lucky I'll be able to piece a few smaller blocks necessary for the last row. We'll see if there's time for that today.

Have been enjoying beautiful weather in the Nation's Capital! Last week was hot in the high 80s and this weekend into next week a sunny mid-70s~ Windows open and breeze blowing!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone seems to be busy!
    I still haven't quilted the table runner. Yesterday I cleaned some of the storage space in my sewing room. I had tons of craft items that I won't ever use. I threw some of it away and packaged the rest to take to the Bargain Box. It looks much neater. I have another cabinet to clean but it may not be today.
    Linda OH

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I did accomplish something. I made four nine patch squares for a charity quilt from my stash. As I was sorting the fabric, I found the colors seem to fall to pinks and greens. So I'm making a pink quilt and a green quilt, both D9P with large squares, 7". It's something I'll work on in the evening slowly.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Well, I sorted through a whole car trunk full of fabric that a friend gave me. I picked out some to keep and rebagged the rest to take to my guild. I washed the pieces I kept and yesterday afternoon sorted them out and put them away.

I also quilted the Blackford Beauty. I sewed the binding on it yesterday but I'm not happy with one of the long sides so I will frog stitch it and see if I can get it better.

I also worked on my crochet baby afghan. Two more rounds to go! Yippee!!!!

Donna

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I did get some handwork done on Friday while my dh as in the hospital getting his ureteral stent replaced. They were very busy, so it took most of the day even though the procedure only took about 20 minutes! At least I got some quilting done.

Saturday, I rearranged my sewing room. I think I like it much better. I still need to convince the kids that we can get rid of the toys that they don't play on the opposite side of the room so I can use the shelves :-)

I also told a coworker that I would hem her granddaughters prom dress. That thing is made of miles of chiffon and silk! I am getting pretty good at using the narrow hem foot. When that is done, I'm back to quilting!! Seems like all I do is make gifts (lots of babies and weddings lately) anymore!

I did start another block of the month project (like I needed another project!!). I'll put some pictures of what I'm doing when I get the first group of squares assembled.

Robbi

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts