Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - May 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

This month's lotto is an easy patriotic block, just in time for a 4th of July picnic quilt! If you don't want these blocks for yourself, consider using them for a Quilt of Valor. In case you are interested, here's a link to the Quilts of Valor Foundation: http://qovf.org/

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

May 2012

For May, the block will be Next Door Neighbor. Use the link below for instructions. We'll do this one in reds, blues and a light neutral (beige, muslin, or white). NOTE: Your star can be either red or blue - see picture below for examples. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams. Pre-washing is strongly encouraged!

Link to the block instructions: Next Door Neighbor at quilterscache.com.

I've attached pictures of the blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Comments (47)

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Looks so pretty! I'm always a fan of 'patriotic' or 'Americana'! Could you please give a few examples of what you mean by 'novelty prints'?? I understand to not use kiddie prints, but...'novelty' eludes me.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Novelty prints are similar to juvenile. Spiderman prints, Nascar, Starwars, Bud Lite, John Deere, spaceships and aliens, etc. - anything like that! They can be fun in the right quilt but we want to limit the fabric used in lotto blocks to those that "play well with others" so they blend with the other blocks.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

I am actuallly having a problem with this "should be easy" block.

It has to do with pressing.
    The directions say to press to the dark, but I find that when sewing some pieces together, some of the diagonal seams line up with quadruple layers, making for some difficult seams. So after having a difficult time on the first block I decided to construct the next block differently. I repressed a few seams to the light in order to get the "nesting" affect while piecing. I hope that's acceptable with everyone.

Julie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julie, that's perfectly acceptable! Some rules were meant to be broken and most quilting 'rules' are really more like 'guidelines'. No quilt police here. :~))

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Julie, Don't feel bad...I've tossed one block as it didn't come together, made two more and intent to make more till I get the "easy" block perfect. I like the block, just not sure if it likes me.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry some are having trouble with this one. But just think how good you'll be at Half Square Triangles by the time you master this block! They are used in so many great quilt patterns that it's good to have them in your repertoire.

Check out this tutorial and let me know if it helps. It's much easier and more accurate than trying to sew along a cut diagonal. Really. Trust me. :~))

There are probably other tutes on youtube.com so if anyone wants to share others please do it.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: HST tutorial

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Kate the block you made on the left in the pic above, is it a red star or is it a pink star? It looks pink in the photo to me.?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pattern calls for light and darker Transparency Quilts as well as red and a lighter red. Light red is going to look pinkish. The fabric I used is a red/white small print. I'm sure whatever you use will look great.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The pattern calls for light and darker blue as well as red and a lighter red, which could be a dark pink. The fabric I used is a red/white small print but I'm sure whatever you use will look great.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I pressed most of the seams open on this block. It came out flat, crisp, accurate, and nice.

Pressing to "the DARK side" (can you hear James Earl Jones?) isn't always the best solution. When there are many intersections - 6 or 8 pieces when joining multiple half-square triangles, often a better solution is to press open.

I press whichever way gives me the flattest, most accurate block.

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

I like the block, just not sure if it likes me.
    LOL, Littlehelen! My first block was not fun at all. But we persevere, don't we? That's how we learn.

O.K. I'm done with Three!!!:)

Yes, Kate, I knew how to make the HSTs by sewing on either side of a marked diagonal line, but forgot about it while trying to follow the directions in the block pattern. I wonder how long our mothers and grandmothers did it the old traditional way, trying to sew those seams on the bias. I suppose it was easier sewing those seams by hand than by machine.

Anyway, I succeeded very well by the time I made the third block.

I decided not to trim them this time. They're all just a tad bigger than 12.5" squares, and I think I'll let the winner trim them however she likes.

Anyway, put me down for three Kate.
    I still need to take a photo of them, post them here, then I'll get them in the mail

Julie

• nannykins
    11 years ago

My three
    Theresa

{{!gwi}}

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Here are my three:

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More weird posting... I kept getting error messages earlier but now see that both tries actually posted! Must be cosmic rays disrupting my computer.

Thanks for the photos! It shows how pretty these blocks are going to look together. And for those wondering, you can see that any reds and blues are going to mix together very well.

Kate

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Just now getting around to posting a photo...

Julie

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks Kate. I just looked through my stash and I have a light red print and a dark red print and some blues so I should be all set. Will try to get my blocks done during the next couple of weeks.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lola99
    11 years ago

You can put me down for 1. I pulled some fabric and started cutting last night.

Lola

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Love everyone's pics...it is a great block and they all look great. I'm ok w/ HST, I took a class earlier this year and have assembled many HST blocks successfully...but I think there was a mental block going on /w this next door neighbor...
    Yes, I perserved Julie and I feel ok with the two I've made...but I gotta make one more...just one more...just one...
    (laughing at myself)
    V.

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

I posted my 1 block away yesterday Kate. At last I'm getting organised! Should reach you about 20th May.

Kristene

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Kate,

Please take my name out of the May Lotto drawing.

My mother is very ill, and I don't have much time for keeping up with housework, much less quilting.

I hope to be able to participate in June's Lotto.

Good luck to the rest of you...

Julie

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I made one block today and really like this pattern. So I am going to keep my block and sit this swap out.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julie, sorry to hear about your mom. :~((

Sandra, that's a great reason for not joining the lotto! LOL "I'm keeping it!" Think of it this way though: if you make just one more and send it in, you could win enough of them to make a whole quilt!

Kristene, this is the fastest mail from Oz EVER! I received your block today.

I also have blocks from Bozogardener and SunnyCentralFlorida.

• lola99
    11 years ago

I put my May and June blocks in the mail today. I took pictures, but they are still on the camera. I'll post the picture later this week.

Lola

• calliope
    11 years ago

What's the block count look like so far?

• polardream
    11 years ago

Okay, Kate, you can put me down for 3 blocks. I made them tonight and will mail them tomorrow. Even with the holiday weekend, they should arrive by the end of the month.

Sue

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Three blocks are done...will mail asap. These are pretty blocks....a bit 'testy' for me, but I'm a novice. It's always fun to put together a new pattern.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have a count for you tonight and I'm going to be out of town this weekend, but there are plenty here for a nice sized quilt. This will be so pretty and patriotic too!

Hope everyone has a nice Memorial Weekend and remembers our Armed Forces - past and present - in your thoughts and prayers.

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Kate, no, don't get up from your beach chair to get this post. LOL But you'll find out when you do surface from the beach that I am sending you two for May. I'll run them over to the PO this morning, so you should receive them by the end of the month.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

HI, I have two blocks and will put them in the mail on Tuesday...sorry...forgot to get them in the mail earlier. Hopefully they will be there by Thursday. Photobucket and I are not working well together this am, so I'm not sure if the pics will get posted. enjoy your weekend everyone!

• lola99
    11 years ago

I forgot to post the picture of the one I sent. Here it is...

Lola

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the count!

k8orlando - 3
    polardream - 3
    bev2009 - 2
    lola99 - 1
    tinyteena - 1
    sunnycentralflorida - 2
    bozogardener - 3
    luvtosharedivs - 3
    mary_c - 3
    nannykins - 3
    beth7happy - 3
    littlehelen - 2 on the way

We have 27 lovely blocks here and 2 more on the way for a total of 29. If I've missed anyone, please let me know!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have received all the quilt blocks, including the 2 from littlehelen, and removed the names of those who didn't want to be in the drawing this month. We're ready to do the drawing if there are a couple people on line to help.

I'll need one person to receive the list of names and assign random numbers to them. Then we can go to step two. Anyone on line?

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - guess no one is on line and DH Jim is ready to run errands and get lunch. I'll be back on line at 4:30 today and will try to find some participants then. If that doesn't work, we'll try again Sunday morning. (I'll be out tonight and won't be near the computer.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Random number generator

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

I'm here, Kate. or just shoot me an email and I'll hear that.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've just emailed the list of names and the link to the random number generator to Beth... Let's see if she really has her computer set to alert her to emails!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

smart*lec~ LOL I'm on it!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - I have the list of names, with numbers.

Will someone post a number from 1 to 20? Of course, it can even be 1 or 20.

First number to post is it!

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Love that random number generator!

#7 is the winner.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the winner is....

MARY_C!!!!!

Congrats, Mary! I know you'll put these to good use!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Are you kidding? Really?

WOW! It'll probably be another jump-off point for a couple of Quilts of Valor.

Thanks, all!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You taught me about QOV so it's neat these go to you!

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Yay Mary! Great blocks! You are the perfect person to win these! Congrats!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Congrats, Mary! love these blocks!

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Congrats, Mary! I know you'll love them!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Makes me feel good to know my squares may go into a QOV. Congrats, Mary!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Doesn't it feel good to win!!!
    Congratulations.
    Theresa

• polardream
    11 years ago

Congrats Mary! I am sure the blocks will go to good use.
    Sue