Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

100 Hand-sewn Card Tricks Blocks Completed :-)

quiltingfox
11 years ago

Since 2009 I have been hand-sewing Card Tricks blocks for my parents's queen-size quilt, and tonight I completed block #100. Wow am actually done. This is a photo of the completed stack of blocks. I am so happy to be finished making blocks for their quilt. Will hand-sew the top together later this year. I have not used the sewing machine at all on this project. And after I hand-sew the top together and add a border I will then hand-quilt it so it will all be done by hand. I love my parents! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (21)

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Good for you Sandra! My first quilt was 100% handstitched. Embroidered blocks, handsewn together then hand quilted. It was however, a baby quilt! Not sure I would tackle a queen!

Maryv

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations Sandra!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Wow, Sandra, I can't imagine your patience and persistence. A true labor of love.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I love your color choices...that green is a great background.

The first quilt I ever made was all hand-done - cut the pieces with scissors and templates, hand pieced, quilted and bound. And it's king size! I also made up the pattern...a kind of log cabin variation. Crazy me! LOL

Donna

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm impressed! I can barely find time to sew by machine, much less by hand. Your blocks look great!

Kate

• calliope
    11 years ago

Yea!!!!! Oh wow, what a commitment and the blocks look very nice and crisp. You did a good job. Yes, it's apparent you love your parents and it's a very special gift.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

congratulations!!! That is truely a labor of love.
    V.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all bunches, I knew my friends here on the Quilting Forum would truly understand and appreciate the amount of work it took to do this, but yes it was a labor of love. It was one of my main projects in 2009 and then in 2010 - 2012 it was a back burner project that I worked on to fill in time between other main projects I was working on during those years, and then in 2013 I made it a priority to get them finished. The backing of the quilt will be forest green and hand-quilted with forest green thread. I am really happy to have finished all the blocks. Thank you all!

Best to you and thanks bunches!,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Congratulations on you accomplishment and true gift of love. Your parents will appreciate your special efforts on their behalf.
    My 1st. quilt was all hand stitched except the center back seam. Queen sized and traditionally made with cardboard templates and scissors. Although I have hand quilted several others that was the only one to be hand pieced so I understand your devotions.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Wow, Sandra! Those are a lot of stitches and I'm sure love in every one. I can't imagine doing 100 blocks by hand. Congratz!

I've never felt compelled to hand sew an entire quilt, although, all of my earlier quilts were hand quilted.....there were quite a few of them, but only 3 double bed size.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Wow-Wow-Wow! I envy your dedication!
    Beautiful. I would go nuts arranging 100 blocks!
    I am thrilled for you - now on to the next step.......but enjoy the completion of these blocks for awhile.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! Amazing dedication. I don't even know how to hand piece and I can't imagine doing one so big, though I know everyone did it that way once.

It will truly be a family heirloom. Bravo. Pretty colors and all. Some of the UFO's I have around I don't even like anymore.

LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! Amazing dedication. I don't even know how to hand piece and I can't imagine doing one so big, though I know everyone did it that way once.

It will truly be a family heirloom. Bravo. Pretty colors and all. Some of the UFO's I have around I don't even like anymore.

LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. I knew ya'll would appreciate the effort that went into these blocks. After making these 100 blocks over the past 3 1/2 years I am so sick of looking at the same 3 fabrics! My next quilts that I want to keep for me will be scrappy looking quilts.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful Sandra!! My first quilt was a hand quilted white whole cloth quilt. It took me 3 years to quilt it!

I find hand work very relaxing and when I make a machine sewn quilt sewing the binding to the back is one of my favorite parts lol.

BUT I have never mastered pieceing by hand. I have made a CW, but never pieced. After I finish my knitted afghan for a bday gift I may try my hand at it.

Yours looks perfect I'm sure they will treasure the quilt.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Rosa. I find hand-sewing quilt blocks and hand-quilting very relaxing and at a pace that I can enjoy.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• polardream
    11 years ago

Sandra, Amazing! I can' t imagine hand piecing 100 squares, let along hand sewing them together, then hand quilting! It is truly a labor of love for you and I am sure your parent will really appreciate all of your work. But better you than me!
    I machine pieced a queen size quilt in 2000 and have been hand quilting it since then ... maybe I will get it finished in the next 10 years! I do like hand quilting but it is with black thread on black and batiks so really hard on the eyes. I get sidetracked easily, too! :)

Keep us posted with pictures as you make progress!
    Sue

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sue, will post more pics later once I get more done. I do love to hand-sew my blocks though.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

Congratulations indeed! The blocks do look so impressive all stacked up like that, and I love the colors. Cool and peaceful.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks petalpatsy. Hoping my dad enjoys these colors.

Best to you,
    Sandra