Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaofmany08

question on quilt blocks

nanaofmany08
12 years ago

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY QUILT BLOCKS WOULD HAVE BEEN SEWEN TO NEWSPAPER? I AM HAVING TO SOAK THE PAPER AND DIG IT OFF IT WAS DONE IN THE 60 OR MAYBE 70'S

Comments (11)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Probably a method of paper piecing or foundation piecing. Helped stabilize the pieces and allows for more precise piecing, especially if the pieces are small. I would be afraid to use newspaper though because of the potential for the ink to transfer. I'm sure you're not having fun with it.

• nanaofmany08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ITS NOT TOO BAD I JUST DO A LITTLE AT A TIME LOL I HAVE TONS OF LITTLE BLOCKS AND TRIANGLES I HAVE NEVER MADE A QUILT BEFORE

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Nana, I notice you are typing in all caps. If you do that because you have trouble seeing the text on your screen, here's a handy trick: Hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and press the + key until the screen image is easier to read. If it gets too big, hold the CTRL key and press - (the minus sign) until it's just right. To go back to the standard screen image size, hold CTRL and press the 0 (zero) key.

Kate

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kate. I have to take my glasses off to see when using the computer, this really helps!

Bev

• nanaofmany08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the information

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I work with someone who is sight-impaired. She taught me that trick. It really helps on some websites with small font or when you want to increase the size of an image to see more detail. .

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Great trick, Kate, thanks SOOO much, I'm a former word processor & I never saw that, excellent thanks again!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I didn't know that either and I like it better than using the zoom in view.....which is almost always at 150%.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

They don't call me Techno-Twinkie for nothing!

• User
    12 years ago

My cousin told me you can zoom in and out by holding the control key and rolling the wheel on the mouse. I felt like I had just discovered fire, I was so impressed. A great little trick.

Here's another: know when you pull the plastic wrap or foil from the box and it flies out onto the counter or floor? Did you know that there are little half-moon cut-outs on both ends of the box? Push them in and they'll hold the roller in place. I'll bet you're getting up right now to go check out all your boxes. I did and was amazed.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

So many great ways to ZOOM!
    I had used my View Tool and usually have mine set at 125-150%.

And yes, I just got up to check out all my wrap/foil boxes...I'll be darned...it only took me 50 years to learn that!

Thanks!

Julie