Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOTTO 2014 - May

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:41

Welcome to the MAY Quilt Forum Lotto!
 photo JEWELS_zps2d7a8d75.jpg
The lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. It's good practice and the winner will appreciate your efforts! Typically, the winner receives enough blocks to complete a nice size quilt. It could be YOU!

Our inspiration for this month are JEWELS in the delicious colors of ruby, sapphire, emerald, topaz, citrine, and peridot. Bright, rich, saturated colors with no white or beige. Just the colors! See the next post for a couple of sample blocks. The pattern is our old friend, Depression Block.

This isn't the pattern or block we'll use, but this is the quilt that inspired the color choice for this month. See how the reds, oranges, blues and greens play together? Like a basket of jewels straight out of King Solomon's Mine!

photo a2bca8c8-1b0d-4544-8d41-ef2107b8887c_zps4994e9be.jpg

Here are the details:
- Each month there will be a designated block or theme; you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks.
- All blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation.
- Please include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)
- If possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block. This is not a requirement, just a request.
- All blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing, unless you request that your name not be entered. Some months you might want to participate, but don't really want to win the blocks. That's OK.
- You have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in.

Mail your block(s) to Valarie [littlehelen]. She will manage the collection of blocks and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her a message at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

The pattern for Depression Block is here at www.quilterscache.com: Depression Block

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOTTO 2014 - May

Here are a triplet of blocks to get us started. Please make all of your half square triangles with one 1/2 blue or green and the other 1/2 red/orange/yellow.

photo photo_zps607f6da3.jpg

Kate

This post was edited by k8orlando on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:53

o

I love these blocks...so bright, vibrant, just love em! I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's blocks this month...
Here's my two...so far...
V.

o

I made one with a blue/green center.

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon, mine all have blue/green centers too. I didn't specify a layout; didn't think about that! But I'm sure the winner will be able to mix and match blocks to make it work.

o

Kate, I saw yours had blue/green centers and that's what I went by as I hadn't seen V's before I had it already done. I think it will be fun to see them all mixed up. :-)

o

Honestly, I did not think about it, but if you think I should remake with blue/ green centers, I will?
V.

o

I think it's ok, Val. Some of both configurations will make an interesting quilt.

o

Here are my three blocks.
When I first read the guidelines for this month's block, I thought "eeeww. Those colours will be fighting each other". However, now that they are finished, I am liking them more and more. And somehow, I too have blue/green centres.
Theresa

o

Three blocks. Figured I'd better be early, for a change, since I'm usually the caboose. But this caboose is going to be away at the end of the month........OOOPS. but, I'm not happy with these blocks!! ...will try to make a couple of other ones for the lotto. These will have to go into my pile of saved blocks! .only really noticed that I wasn't happy with them when I published the picture.

This post was edited by beth7happy on Wed, May 7, 14 at 21:16

o

Beth, I think most of us have had one of those "what was I thinking?" moments when quilting. I can get so lost in the details of a quilt that I forget to step back and see the big picture. Actually, taking a photo with my cell phone helps me and I do that often during a project.

Kate

o

Here's my May block.

o

that photo on the phone is a great idea, Kate. Decided that I'm not sending those three, but will add them to my 12.5 collection for a SomeDay Sampler! But,I DID go and buy some 'proper' fabric for this block....if I can squeeze it in, I'll sew up a couple...not sure yet, but it IS only May 10th!! Lois, I love that one, too!!

o

I am sending two! I could not resist this block.

o

pretty blocks....assembling some more. I've determined that making quilt blocks is simply a therapists tool for forcing decision-making. ....it's not always easy being in therapy.....

o

My second attempt!

o

I finished 3 and will get them in the mail this week.

Kate - I have the same orange as you!

Sue

o

Don't faint, Val, but do check your mail box!!! Hahaaha..I actually WENT to the post office and mailed the blocks this morning!!

o

Oops! I better get mine in the mail.......

SharonG/FL

V, Putting block in mail today, 5/24.

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Sat, May 24, 14 at 10:53

o

Who ever is on line...please select a number from 1 to 14 so the winner can be awarded these lovely bright blocks!

o

LindaB/CA

o

WooHoo and Congratulations to Geezerfolks...aka Sharon G...our lucky May lotto winner!!

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sat, May 31, 14 at 15:22

o

Congratulations, Sharon. Those blocks are going to make a fanastic quilt. Good thing you remembered to send them to Valarie.

o

Congrats!!!

o

Wow!!! Thank you! I had forgotten all about this!!!!! WooooHoooo!! Lucky me!!!!

SharonG/FL

o

Great news! Congratulations!
Theresa

o

Congrats! Those blocks will make a really happy quilt.
LindaB/CA

This post was edited by quiltnhen on Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:28

o

oooo Sharon!! those are a pretty bunch!! Have fun!!!

o

Congrats Sharon! You can take them with you - your family will be fighting over the quilt. Gorgeous colors.
I'm so happy you won! You are always so supportive of all of us, you deserve the win.

o

Congrats Sharon!
What a fun combination of blocks. I am sure you will make it beautiful!
Sue

o

Thank you, thank you, thank you. DH is excited about this one......he really likes it so maybe I'll let him be more involved than normal in the layout and let him use it for when he naps in his chair.....maybe. :-)

SharonG/FL

o

Valarie, The blocks arrived today.......WOW!!!!!

o

Sharon, I can't wait to see what you do with these!!!

o

Have fun with those bright blocks!
V.

o

Sorry, Kate, they'll be going on the back burner until I get back from up north.....probably mid to end of August. I've made a couple more quilt tops, but have at least 2 others I need to get sandwiched and quilted. I might end up taking those with me. If I can get them sandwiched before leaving, it'll be easier to finish them in Indiana. Then when I get back, I'll put binding on the one Beverly has for Darrin's 50th. A quilter's work is never done!!! LOL

SharonG/FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here