Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

The perfect bag/purse

karpet
13 years ago

There are so many cute patterns out there to try, but what are the features that you would include if you were designing the perfect purse?

I like one with a shoulder strap, one that is not too wide, (I hate being in a tight place and worrying that I'll knock something over with the back edge of my purse - like in an antique store!) But I don't like one where everything falls to the bottom and it's hard to reach down in and fish things out.

I would design one that is taller than it is wide, but flares out at the top; a purse that has a couple separate sections inside, and has pockets on a couple of those sections - pockets that are stacked on top of each other so there is a bottom pocket and a top pocket. I would also have one outside pocket.

How about you????

Karlene

Comments (4)

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

I like my strap to cross the body so I can carry in the front and not worry in a croud. The body should be longer then wide eg. 10x7, zipper closure. A couple of pockets on the outside and lots of pockets on the inside, with the inside divided by a zipped pocket.
    I wish I were clever enough to design one.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I just made a couple with pockets inside. One is taller than the other and it won't work for me so am giving it to DGD. I like the shorter one and it's still an inch or so higher than my checkbook. 11" wide flaring to 13", about 9" tall, 3 pockets on one side and 2 on the other. The narrow strap is long enough to go over my head so I don't have to worry about it falling off my shoulder and I can keep it in front of me. There's room at the bottom for stuff, but most everything is in the pockets around the edges. I have stopped carrying things that I think I 'might' use but hardly ever do....and my shoulder thanks me. @:)

SharonG/FL

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

I like an adjustable strap that goes from on shoulder or to across the body. I also make a really small over the body purse that holds just the essentials to use when shopping. I discovered I don't have to carry around everything when shopping. I haven't "store-bought" a purse in over five years since I found I could make my own!! I just alter whatever pattern to make it what I want.
    Also, I discovered a pattern by Studio Kat Designs that is a purse insert/organizer named "Port-a-Pockets". It has a zipper section, all kinds of pockets and fits down inside a purse. When I change purses, I just pull this out and set it down inside the new one. The pattern makes two sizes so you have one for whatever size purse you use. I just love it. It holds all my stuff and keeps it where I can find it. Now when I make a purse, I don't put those pockets inside which makes the purse making go faster. Lazy Girl Designs also makes a pattern for an organizer insert. It is not as "organized" as the other one but it is much easier to put together.
    What a fun topic!
    Murphy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Murphy, The insert I've been using (for the last 13 years!) came from my MIL and doesn't have a zipper section, but it sounds like a good idea. This one has about bit the dust so I've been searching for a pattern to make one. I like having the things I use a lot in separate pockets so I can readily find them. On the bags I just made, I forgot to plan for a place for my sunglasses, but there's plenty of room inside. Next time, an outside pocket for them!

Thanks for the recommendation on the insert.

SharonG/FL