Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

Batting Suggestions Needed

quiltingfox
11 years ago

I am making a Card Tricks queen-size quilt for my parents. My dad wants the quilt to feel heavy. I will be hand-quilting the layers of this quilt. Typically in the past when I have made them quilts I use poly-fil high loft batting, but dad complains that the quilt has no weight to it. I will not use wool for batting, but do ya'll have any suggestions on what I could use for batting to give it some weight? Should I use a layer of some sort of batting and a layer of flannel as a secondary batting? What kind of batting makes a quilt feel heavy? Please bare in mind that this will be a very utilitarian quilt it will get washed a lot and used for many years I need something that will be dryer friendly and dry on medium heat in a dryer within a 1 to 2 hour time period. Thanks for your help!

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (13)

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I'm no expert on batting, but I would think that a 100% cotton batting might give you the weight you are looking for. It would certainly make the quilt heavier than the poly.

• anitastitch
    11 years ago

I've noticed that the more quilting on a quilt, the heavier it seems. So with cotton batting as suggested and maybe a little more quilting, you may put some extra weight on that quilt.

• calliope
    11 years ago

If you want weight, but not the 'flatness' of a cotton batting, then I'd suggest you at least look into wool battings. They come in two weights, both light and heavy. I've read that they are exceptionally easy to needle when doing hand quilting, though I have not tried them yet. I have done bamboo, synthetic, cottons and blends of poly/cotton.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lois, I'll have to check Hobby Lobby and Hancocks, my only 2 local quilt stores other than Walmart, and see what kind of cotton battings they have. Anita, I have plenty of hand quilting thread so it would be possible to make my hand quilting more dense. Calliope thanks for suggesting it, but wool makes me itch very badly so I will not be using wool in any of my quilts. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Best to you and thanks bunches!,
    Sandra

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure cotton is the heaviest batting. Seems like it'd be easier to hand quilt an extra thick cotton batting than to layer on flannel. Wouldn't the threads in the flannel bother you making even stitches?

• calliope
    11 years ago

Wool battings are enclosed in a cheesecloth casing from some manufacturers. The 'itch' factor in wool is from being exposed to the fibres. You don't with that type of batting.

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

I've used Quilter's Dream Wool, and it's not itchy but it's also a plump, springy, lightweight-for-the-extra-warmth batting.

I've been deep into wool the last couple of years--my knitting and spinning years. Most people itch from being poked with the coarser fibers once it's spun. A tight yarn locks the ends of the hairs in place so they stick out like a thousand little, little pins. Looser yarns or free fibers or even fine wools like Merino aren't as itchy because the fibers are free to bend and flex away. It's like your own hair, which isn't itchy until you get a haircut and tiny little cuts get sifted down your neck.

Some people are flat out allergic to lanolin, but a highly processed commercial wool batting probably wouldn't have any lanolin left on it.

Anyway, that's my two cents, and it doesn't sound like wool is what you're after this time.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Petalpatsy I have never quilted with flannel so I have no idea what it is like to thread a needle through it. We have more hot weather than cool weather here in the south, I don't even own a sweater because our winters are so mild. Aside from the itch factor, I just feel like wool would be very hot to sleep under unless you live up north where it gets colder. For instance right now it does cool off at night here to 50 to 60 something degrees, but like in summer it only cools off to 70 to 80 something degrees at night and sometimes it does not even get that cool at night when we are in triple digit heat in July and August and I want my parents to use this quilt year round. I'll visit local stores and find out what types of cotton batting they have in hopes I will find one with a high loft. Thank you for your help.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have quilted flannel and often, in fact. It needles like you're quilting through butter.

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

I know what you mean about the heat. I'm just south of Nashville and it's too hot for me in the summer. I mostly liked the idea of wool because it was a little baby blanket and the wool is naturally fire retardant.

That's good to know about the flannel, because I have several pretty pristine flannel queen flat sheets where the fitted sheets got worn out long ago.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

So, being a Texas dweller who likes a bit of weight but not necessarily warmth - I use Quilter's Dream 70/30 Select Loft batting. It's a medium loft batting, handles like a dream, easy to either quilt by hand or by machine.

I generally buy it from my local quilt shop, but have occasionally bought from Hancock's of Paducah website.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Mary for your batting info. I went to my local Hancocks store and I got an 80/20 batting (cotton/poly) and I think it will work. Once I roll it out if it is not thick enough then I may add an extra poly batting on top of it, I don't want it to be too warm so that way it can still be used in the summer months. Thank you all for your feedback.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

From what I have read poly is supposed to be warmer then other batts even though it is liter. The reason given was that it doesn't "breath" as does wool and natural fibers.
    I don't pretend to be an expert on this but I do like the quilters dream (which Maryc mentioned) and 20/80 blends.
    I am a real fan of wool but find it expensive.